The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 05:42:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas Twins  (Read 6362 times)
N6YW
Contributing

« on: December 22, 2011, 07:17:50 PM »

I finally have time to perform the much needed renovation of the KWS-1. If all goes well, I should have it fired up for the Christmas Day CCA 20 Meter Net. I had already begun the 75A-4 and it's almost finished.
I bought the much sought after DC coaxial relay at great expense but it's worth every penny and is really the only way to go. The pendant cable assembly I made up with a brand new Cinch plug. The only thing hindering me is getting the exact 1-3/4" ID flex hose for the blower. I may have to travel across town to buy it, and that may be a tricky task for tomorrow. We'll see.
Here are some pictures of the twins which are in much need of RF fulfillment...
I will see to it that it happens ASAP!
Wish me luck.

* 75A-4.JPG (2385.58 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 613 times.)

* KWS-1EXRY.JPG (2523.36 KB, 1944x2592 - viewed 610 times.)

* KWS-1front.JPG (2180.47 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 576 times.)

"Life is too short for QRP"
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 08:10:20 PM »

UPDATE: The KWS-1 lives!!! After a full re-cap of the audio circuits, LV, screen and bias supplies, it's producing over 700 watts and is purring like a kitten. Now onto the 75A-4 to fix the dancing chirpy birdie problem, 175 vdc on the mechanical filter isn't cool.
 Sad

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 09:26:03 PM »

That's a real nice set. I had that very set and stupidly traded it for a Johnson Thunderbolt and some 4CX5000A's. I'd trade some big machinery to have it back. Heck I'd just about trade my Harris for one.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W4AAB

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 10:26:59 PM »

Somewhere I have the mod to get the DC off the mechanical filter. I found and sent it to a friend who did the mod and it worked.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 10:59:21 PM »

I have the twins also. Never hooked up.  The relay on the back is missing. I am told you can use an AC relay by a man who has a set running.  That was my plan since I do not have a DC relay.  What are your thoughts?   

I guess If I could find a DC relay external contacts on it, I would buy it one!

Nobody wants to modify these and for good reason, However, I cant help but wonder how this would sound on AM if the Filter was jumped.  In Am mode, its only one Side band and inserted carrier, With the filter jumped, It would be DSB and inserted carrier like a 101 or other rig.

I plan on parking mine on 75 meter SSB where some friends hang out and leaving it there.

C
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 11:05:53 PM »

This thing is purring along at 750 watts, getting ready to check in to the West Coast CCA 75 meter net.
Having to use the KWM-2 as a receiver because the 75A-4 isn't ready. Some monkey business going on between V-5 and V-6, 175 vdc on the filter is driving me nuts, and I think I may have found out why but not sure yet.
Band conditions are pretty bad tonight but what the heck... having this thing running is a pure joy.

* KWS-1lives.JPG (2219.36 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 559 times.)

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 11:11:31 PM »

Looks like fun!

C
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 11:20:57 PM »

Thanks
I wish the band was in better shape. For some reason the muting circuit isn't working so I'm muting the KWM-2 by hand which sucks but it's a start. I should have the bugs worked out in time for Christmas day.
 Smiley

KE7KPB

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 08:52:28 AM »

Great looking set up, Have fun with that.. Grin
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 05:00:19 PM »

Just a heads up in case anyone needs the cooling hose for their KWS-1.
I looked all over town, Grainger, Harrison, pool suppliers... no one had any hose with a 1-3/4 ID that didn't cost stupid money. I was determined to find something that worked. I came upon this Rigid 1-7/8 extension hose kit at Home Depot for 17 bucks. It works perfect and it's 7' long. Part number Rigid VT1720
Merry Christmas!

N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 12:49:27 AM »

Aside from the 75A-4 needing some attention and presently unusable, my objectives for Christmas were met with resounding results. Not only was I able to work both CCA nets, I managed to talk to a bunch of friends all over the USA with the KWS-1. Signal reports were always favorable and although this is a departure from the nature of this forum, and did not operate AM, the fundamental purpose of rejuvenating a beautiful piece of equipment was met head on. The learning aspects can be applied on future projects and the obvious reward is knowing that you can fix it along the way should the occasion arise.
The next task is obviously the 75A-4. Why the high DC on the filter is beyond me. As I go through it and upload pictures, maybe we can figure this out.
Christmas cheers.
Billy N6YW

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015