The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:21:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage AM Station Back on the Air  (Read 4358 times)
W1TAV
Contributing

The Glow of Wood and Radios

« on: December 11, 2011, 06:42:30 PM »

Well I finally got a Round Tu-it and put my 32V-1 and 74A-1 on the air as a pair this afternoon.  The receiver has been sitting off to the side for at least 3 1/2 years and I have know idea as to how long the transmitter has been off the air, likely decades.  The Turner 22X was my Dad's and I am borrowing it from the "Roll Top Desk Ranger station" that I put together last year. 

My 1st QSO with the new addition to the shack was with none other than Tim, WA1HLR and Al, W1VTP. 

* 32V-1 75A-1.jpg (54.84 KB, 336x420 - viewed 418 times.)

Steve - W1TAV
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »

I'll bet the Collins stuff sounds as good as it looks Steve. Very nice!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
KA2DZT

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 07:13:12 PM »

My 1st QSO with the new addition to the shack was with none other than Tim, WA1HLR and Al, W1VTP. 

Nice looking station.

Probably it would have been a much better first contact if it was with a 51watt station. Grin

Fred
W1TAV
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 09:30:18 PM »

Nice looking station.

Probably it would have been a much better first contact if it was with a 51watt station. Grin

Fred

Well Tim was running Ranger power...

Steve - W1TAV
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 12:58:31 AM »

Nice station, Steve - same thing I run for 40m except the transmitter is a V-2. I'd be curious to hear a sample of how the 22X sounds with it.

The A-1 is (to my ears) the best sounding of the A-Line receivers. The connections for the band-in-use dial lights get dirty and need cleaning from time to time or the lights get flaky, and there are a few problem caps and tuning issues that, once dealt with, are fine. Mine loses sensitivity at times, so a good going through is in order soon. It's a little numb on 10m, but there are some articles out there in ER and elsewhere to improve that as well.

Hope to work you with it sometime.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1TAV
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 10:41:21 PM »

Well after getting a few sound reports and a recording from Al W1VTP, I dove in and found the modulator bias had apparently not been set or some how had come way out of adjustment. 

Just getting off a round table with W1JDR, KB1PJM, W1BBC and N2QEI on 75. I have apparently cured the little bit of distortion that had been reported on Sunday.

I also got a couple of old buzzard transmissions in, what a wonderful smell those transformers made after really warming up for the 1st time in decades!   Grin

Steve - W1TAV
w1vtp

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 11:02:36 PM »

Well after getting a few sound reports and a recording from Al W1VTP, I dove in and found the modulator bias had apparently not been set or some how had come way out of adjustment. 

<snip>

Told ya  Grin  It did sound like a bias prob   Glad you found it
W1TAV
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 10:21:13 AM »

Al. TNX.. Yes it's all about "KISS"  Grin .. Thinking back to when I picked this up, the person I got it from had cleaned up the chassis and done a certain amount of "grunt" work recapping, checking values and tube replacements.  What I also recall was he had never put in on the air (hit the plate switch) so the 807's not being set up should not have been a surprise..

Hopefully you can do another recording for comparison.

In keeping with the sprite of AM Phone and the QSO Board, this is a classic case of enjoying the "rush" of boyhood enthusiasm to get something running, without taking all the cautionary steps that age and supposed wisdom brings us..  Wink

Steve ..

Steve - W1TAV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015