The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 08:52:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB oscilliscope  (Read 5245 times)
ve8xj

« on: November 28, 2011, 02:44:25 PM »

Anyone have any experience using a USB sillyscope such as this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2-Channel-PC-Computer-Digital-mini-USB-Oscilloscope-/110764372999?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item19ca123407#ht_3407wt_922

Just interested in measuring modulation wave form and the simplest of tasks.
The price is sure right.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 04:08:10 PM »

Hi,

Looking at the device spec., it only measures audio to 8kc.   Not too much good
for anything other than that...

Doubt if it will see the IF of a receiver or the carrier of a 160 meter xmitter...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 04:31:19 PM »

I like the specs.....

"         Package: well-packed    "

What? Me worry?
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 04:42:51 PM »

With these types of oscilloscopes... the maximum bandwidth of a waveform you can accurately capture/display is typically 1/10th of the sampling frequency (not-withstanding Nyquist's theorem).

With two channels active, the sampling rate is specified as 4000 samples per second.

Therefore, this oscilloscope is probably not useful for even the most modest audio applications.

Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
ve8xj

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 05:29:52 PM »

Well I guess I should have read the fine print on these things. Sounded a little too good to be true. Doesn't seem like they are very useful for anything.
So I will scrap that idea and look for another solution to my needs. I need an oscilliscope ,and there are lots of great deals out there but the postage on these things is not cheap to the Northwest Territories. I am sure I will find the right one soon.

Thanks guys.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 07:13:47 PM »

Any 'festers your way before the winter starts?Huh OR is it already below 0 C??

Buy from eBay and ship???
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 07:29:54 PM »

Hi,

Looking at the device spec., it only measures audio to 8kc.   Not too much good
for anything other than that...

Doubt if it will see the IF of a receiver or the carrier of a 160 meter xmitter...

I find this Soundcard Oscilloscope to be be very useful:

http://www.zeitnitz.de/Christian/scope_en

It will do audio tasks well and even includes a versatile spectrum analyzer and signal generator. Not wideband enough for IF use, though I find it still tells me a _lot_ about received signals. I pipe the line output of my Racal into it.

Kevin.

ve8xj

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 10:27:08 PM »

Thanks Kevin ,though it may not do all I want it will be fun to play with . Like you say it would be very interesting to see received signals . I am downloading it as I type.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 10:28:32 PM »

Most digital scopes are terrible for viewing mixed-signal analog waveforms such as an AM-modulated wave.  

Hit a hamfest and look for a Tek 465 or 7000 series scope.  The 7000 series scopes can be had for under $50 with plug-ins and are absolutely top-notch; the last one I bought was $40 with 8 plugins including the rare 7CT1 curve tracer.  At my Maryland QTH I use a 7000 with one trace viewing the receiver IF and the other trace viewing the xmit RF.

And the big bonus of these scopes is they're extremely useful for troubleshooting equipment (as was their intended purpose).

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
ve8xj

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 11:34:40 PM »

Yes I sure need to get to a hamfest or at least a ham auction/flea market. There are only 2 active hams in my town and a total of 5 including the non active ones. So pickings are slim

EBAY has literally thousands of the things but shipping is insane to get them to here from most locations . There is NO UPS or fed-ex here. This is the sub arctic Cry . No doubt as in all good things they are worth waiting for but it is hard sometimes .
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 10:49:39 AM »

Condx very bad now?? Can you make an eBay purchase and have it sent where it is easy delivery and you make the trip for final pickup? Any body or any company willing to HOLD the package for you, while you drive to pickup??

Fred.............I agree with the others on "computer / USB 'scopes" YUK!!!
You can get a real one pretty cheap.

Fred KC4MOP
ve8xj

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 11:04:40 AM »

We have to do that fairly often . Order something then go and pick it up on our yearly trip south. The nearest Major city where shipping would be cheaper is Edmonton 800km to the south. I try not to go there too often ,the big city is a scary evil place full of strange people that lead strange lives Wink . But rest assured when next I brave the dragons there will be a sillyscope waiting for yours truly.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 12:28:44 PM »

They make higher bandwidth scopes that work for USB.  You have to pay alot more money though.

This one includes a small screen. Might be neat.  Says 72mhz

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-channel-Portable-Digital-2MB-USB-Disk-Storage-Oscilloscope-DSO203-ARM-DSO-NEW-/260894476529?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item3cbe85c8f1

Or this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSO-5200A-200MHz-PC-USB-Digital-Oscilloscope-VISTA-/280772428244?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item415f5741d4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015