The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:56:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modulation transformer  (Read 2948 times)
W9BHI

« on: November 14, 2011, 04:45:49 PM »

Hello all,
Would a stancor A-3894 125 watt mod transformer work better than the original in a Valiant II?
Thanks,
Don W9BHI
w1vtp

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 05:29:35 PM »

My guess is if it will fit, yes.  Use the connections table

http://www.k7jrl.com/pub/manuals/transformers/MSTANCOR/stancor1.htm

to figure out the right connections.

Al
KA2DZT

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 06:13:33 PM »

The Stancor 3894 should work FB.  It depends on how you connect it.  All those multi-match xfmrs have a step-up ratio from the whole primary to the whole secondary.  The Valiant has 3 6146s in the final.  I would think you'll be using the parallel connections on the secondary and maybe not loaded the finals to the max.

You can call either side of the xfmr the primary.  I would think you should use the higher impedance side in parallel for the secondary and then use the ENTIRE primary on the modulators.

I would start with that set-up and see how it works.

I THINK the higher impedance side are the 7-12 connections.  The lower impedance side being 1-6.

You should check this as I may have it backwards.

Fred
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 06:14:08 PM »

I would configure the taps for less step-down than what the stock transfomer uses, maybe about a 2:1 impedance ratio (1.4:1 turns  ratio) or even up to a 1.2:1 turns ratio.  I believe the Valiant is one of those rigs that intentionally have too much step-down in the mod transformer, in a half-vast attempt to limit the modulation to less than 100% in order to prevent overmodulation, but which produce precisely the same kind of distortion and splatter as overmodulation, when the modulator tubes are driven to saturation, thus flat-topping the peaks.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K3YA
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 10:13:28 PM »

I hooked one of those to my Valiant 'bout 30 years ago. I recall that it was a tight squeeze.  I would say that it was a small improvement over stock iron.   But, not a real big change by itself.  Things got much better when I changed the 6146 modulator to 811A's and redesigned the audio driver.  It may be worthwhile to use one as part of a more comprehensive modulator revamp.

Wish I still had the Valiant.  It was my first decent AM transmitter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015