The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:17:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ameritron AL-80B on AM  (Read 27607 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 05:38:31 PM »

Thanks for the info Bud and Rob.

Rob, from the circuit you posted, I can see some R/C recification attack delay in there, so there must be some "grit" on the first syllable as you found in yours.

The bottom line is that if someone is 40db over 9 operating down 3kc on ssb, we will hear the grit every time the circuit starts up. It will sound as fast pop-type splatter, since the amp is in class C before it ramps up.

No big deal - I was just curious of the state of the art these days.

I'm designing up a 10M monoband linear right now and the concept crossed my mind, but will pass on it.
Just picked up four large sheets of aluminum from a recycler. Imagine 49 pounds at $1/pound. What a deal.  

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2011, 06:30:24 PM »

If I don't care about efficiency on A.M. why would I consider it for SSB??

Yup, my thoughts exactly Buddly. Of course the class E guys running at +90% efficiency are probably laughing at our line of thinking!

Tom, your ability to scrounge up amazing deals for aluminum stock to feed the numerous projects produced by "JJ Enterprises" is most impressive. I can't wait to learn the name that will be assigned to this 10 meter mega-amplifier. I did a quick search for "Fabio and other cheesy names" and came upon this list for your consideration:

Names as cheesy as Fabio:  Quinto, Simora, Timoteo, Enrico, Massimo, Federico

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2011, 07:32:19 PM »

Yep, whether building a rig or a Yagi, metal scrap recycling yards are the place to go.

There is one near Bob/K1KBW that had a stock of aluminum tubing going back 30 years. I bought about 800 pounds and cleaned them out. This stuff was beautiful and resulted in about 25 Yagis over time.

I got to know the owner of the other scrap yard I hit today for the aluminum sheet. I axed him to put aside all clean alum sheet for me. The cool thang is he charges $1/ pound while I've seen other recyclers getting $4++ per pound.

I'm considering these rig names:   Elvis, Ringo, Tiny Tim and Dr. No

So far I'm leaning toward Dr. No.   An interesting complement to Dr. Love, the 75-20M linear.

T  

2nd Pic:  Typical Dr. No  Plexiglas construction:

* Dr. No - 10M MonoBand Linear.jpg (36.13 KB, 324x331 - viewed 522 times.)

* Dr. No under PlexiGlas.jpg (21.91 KB, 400x300 - viewed 519 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2011, 07:44:21 PM »

Well, I'm goin to copywrite Quasimodo.

I'm probably going to set up my 813X813 rig with a solid state vfo and so the name.

klc

* Q moto.jpg (3.08 KB, 120x161 - viewed 503 times.)

What? Me worry?
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 11:07:13 AM »

Yep, whether building a rig or a Yagi, metal scrap recycling yards are the place to go.

There is one near Bob/K1KBW that had a stock of aluminum tubing going back 30 years. I bought about 800 pounds and cleaned them out. This stuff was beautiful and resulted in about 25 Yagis over time.

I got to know the owner of the other scrap yard I hit today for the aluminum sheet. I axed him to put aside all clean alum sheet for me. The cool thang is he charges $1/ pound while I've seen other recyclers getting $4++ per pound.

Sometimes, I'm grateful to be working for a company that deals with architectural aluminum products. That means that aything in the "scrap" box is fair game for the taking. Saves mucho donero when building time comes around. We also usually have tons of scrap lexan lying around also. It's all free for the taking as long as you are not recycling it for $$. the rack panels on my 4X1 rig were all cut from old ceiling panels from a demo'ed revolving door.

Tommy,
           Why bother to build a 10m amp? There are tons of them out there from the chicken band purveyors........................ Wink  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015