The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:03:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Last transmission from old WBZ tower  (Read 14854 times)
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 05:32:38 PM »

as timtron described it, the antenna was on the actual towers on the roof, the building is like 70 feet and the towers were 110, so the vertical portion of the antenna was like 110 tall, then the horizontal part was i think something like 230 feet long, then the one tower was being fed as a counterpoise, along with some radials on the roof, and tim also said he had some exposed wiring that he tied into the ground system. i remember he said about he hoped that maybe it was part of a spiders web of wiring that ran through the entire building.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 05:54:34 PM »

That building will be a helluva thing to knock down. Expensive.
Demo an old building that was built to stay up for 200 hundred years. Hard to break Shocked

Fred KC4MOP
KA2DZT

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 06:20:12 PM »

Run between the towers.  From what I heard on air is that one of operators owns the company that's taking down the towers.  So he was able to climb them.
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 06:21:08 PM »

I worked them around 1:15? EDT.  First time on the air for me since New Years Eve.......

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
kb3ouk

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 06:49:02 PM »

i never did get to work them. spent all morning calling them then around 1:45 decided to call it quits.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
w1vtp

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2011, 07:06:08 PM »

Worked them OK.  Looks as if conditions were favorable for locals.  Todd, I couldn't even see you on the panadaptor.  I know it was frustrating for some.  I could hear some weak stations but W1Z couldn't.

Great idea.  Glad I could participate

Al
K3ZS

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2011, 08:38:59 AM »

I gave up, they could not hear many from 3 land over all of the local stations.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2011, 09:33:22 AM »

Wonder if the horizontal portion of the L was strung all the way up between the tops of the towers, like the original BC antenna?

Somewhere I downloaded a copy of the original blueprints to the inverted-L broadcast antenna.  They apparently just used a single wire instead of the usual multi-wire flat-top or cage.  Maybe to reduce likelihood ice-storm damage?

I was out of town till late, then had late dinner after arriving home, so didn't get out to the shack in time to hear anything. When I started listening, ZUL Gerry in Ohio was in a large group on 3885, but I didn't hear W1Z in the mix.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 10:11:31 AM »

The link has been updated.

http://www.necrat.us/wbza/wbza.html

Somewhere I downloaded a copy of the original blueprints to the inverted-L broadcast antenna.  They apparently just used a single wire instead of the usual multi-wire flat-top or cage.  Maybe to reduce likelihood ice-storm damage?

That was on my post back in March. The link has been updated. More pictures etc. Worth a look and the blueprint is there.

http://www.springfieldradio.com/wbz.html

The original thread is below and worth a look.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=27180.0

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
WB2CAU

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2011, 10:39:30 AM »

The event started later than scheduled yesterday morning.  I recorded it but I was not listening so I was unaware when it had changed frequency.  So I have it in two incomplete fragments.

If anyone would like to listen, here are links to the two mp3 downloads:

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/1277085454/cfcfd728bbfc8ce5ca9b79000c33ca9e

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/1277085796/411609c7f07ee8153cba964f5797f9de

Hope that works... tell me if it doesn't.  If not, I will delete the post

Eric

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2011, 10:43:32 AM »

Todd, I couldn't even see you on the panadaptor.  

Doesn't surprise me, Al. I honestly didn't expect to hear more than a weak carrier from them, if anything. Heard nothing all morning, wasn't until my chance trip back into the garage that I heard a strong signal a few kc away and found them. Curt was between 56-59 but the audio was large here. No trouble hearing them whatsoever.

Wonder if Curt will cut up the tower pieces and sell them like they did with the original KDKA tower? Hopefully he'll save that winch and the aerial itself.

TNX for posting the links, Terry. Saw those old towers numerous times over the years without giving much thought to their loss someday.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
kb3ouk

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 02:00:26 PM »

they ought to send a slice of tower leg out with every QSL and SWl reception card.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015