The AM Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:09:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Experiment in PWM using 555 Timers  (Read 3374 times)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« on: October 26, 2011, 10:12:24 PM »

I had a couple of the ubiquitous 555 timer chips around so I dug out the bread board and tried to build a PWM circuit. It takes two of them to be able to produce a pulse width modulator circuit.  The first is set up in an astable circuit (oscillator) producing pulses around 100 khz.  The second is setup in a monostable circuit with the oscillator output used to trigger the monostable chip.  The input wave form (audio sine wave) is supplied to pin 5 of the monostable chip.

Well, I built it, and it works, sort of.  Aliasing is pretty bad (no output filtering in the breadboard).  Also, the pulses always maintain a 50% duty cycle, and just the frequency changes.  Found out I had totally the wrong values for R & C in the PWM chip.  Still kinda fun.   Maybe I'll clip lead together a PWM QRP rig for when the AMQRP net opens up again...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Radiohead
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 10:25:48 PM »

There some nice PWM schematics with 555 timers on this page, and complete PWM Class E FET/Tube tx's
http://www.lu8jb.com.ar/Amplitud%20Modulada.htm
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:01:10 PM »

That fellow does nice work, creative too, using the wire spools as forms for coils/transformers like that.

I also liked the link (dead unfortunately) for 'Loco por El AM' or "Crazy for AM" nice...   

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KB3DKS

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 01:31:57 AM »

That is a Phase Linear 700 chassis and original power supply he is using here including one of the meters!
http://www.lu8jb.com.ar/PWM_CX8%20JD.htm.
Wild!!
Bill
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 06:18:11 AM »

He's definitely a "parts is parts" kind of guy.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 10:03:01 AM »

The PWM steve uses will work much better over a wider duty cycle.
I use the UC1846 current mode with current transformer feedback.
555 will work but will not give you a full range of duty cycle.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 03:51:46 PM »

Yes, they're not a real high performance ciruit. I did sweep it with an audio sine wave.  Very interesting results, but not real usefull.  Besides there are single package chips that provide the pwm output with out all the added complexity.  Still fun to experiment with some of those  lil' black bugs every once in a while.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015