The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:42:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need smart phone suggestions!  (Read 3334 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« on: October 17, 2011, 01:15:01 PM »

I need to get away from my Blackberry on to another pocket mobile device, not a tablet or a pad. I can't do a lot of things on the Blackberry that I need to.

The number of mobile devices on the market today are overwhelming...I need-

*Seamless corporate email via corporate Microsoft Exchange servers.
*Availability and ability to run VPN and VNC programs.
*Java capability.

I'm not partial to carriers..and yes, there is the Iphone but I want to explore all of the options and OSes out there that techies have had good results with. The Motorola Atrix (Android) looks like a good candidate so far.

Thanks, Bill

WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 02:03:21 PM »

One of the family here got the Motorola Droid2 and likes it.  Doesn't sound too good as a phone, but the touch screen is reasonable, the speed and capacity for web visits and downloads are good, and the battery life isn't bad.

I was disappointed to see that the microSD memory card on the Motorola isn't supposed to come out of the device.  With the BlackBerry I use the microSD as removable storage, where easily I can take it out and slip it into a card reader on a real computer and in/out material. But it's got a very crappy camera, best resolution only 1600 x 1200 and no flash.

The Droid2 has a very good camera, as "camera phones" go, yet, the manufacturer makes it difficult to later retrieve all the shots if you don't want to send them over a cellphone circuit.  And video duration will typically exceed the file size limitations on most email programs. So again, how are you supposed to retrieve the video off the card?

Over in the Apple cart --

The Iphone 4s may have fixed problems caused by "the death grip," killing the signal when users unwittingly put their hand across an insulating break in the metal case where the antenna has been located.

from: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394178,00.asp#fbid=o2DEGgL2CR1

At the iPhone 4S launch, Apple executives devoted essentially a single sentence to the problem, noting that the iPhone 4S has two antennas outside the case, and that the phone intelligently switches back and forth between them to maximize the phone's ability to transmit and receive data, and to not drop calls.

W2ZE
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »

Bill:

I am on AT&T and have the Samsung Galaxy S II. Our corporate e-mail is google enterprise, and it works seamlessly; however, you need 3rd party apps for Android to work with exchange. My understanding is it works well. I can VPN into our network without any problem and VNC into all of our machines running VNC (free app). I also use VirtualPC:Office Chrome Java that is a virtual PC app where you can run Firefox or Chrome with FLASH and Java.
Quite honestly its like having a PC anywhere I go. When I do have a PC, I use it (the phone) as a WIFI hotspot for my PC to connect to. I have mostly 4G here, but 3G works pretty good too. I have an HP printer app to print out jobs to my wireless printer at home, and I can place Skype calls using a WI-FI connection. Also, having thousands of free apps at your fingertips is a real plus.

My wife has a Motorola Droid Bionic, and it is virtually the same except its about 100 bux more. My boss uses a Droid Nexus, and he loves his because he uses T-Mobile and has unlimited data.

The reason I chose the S II, is that the Nexus is about 1 year old tech, and is almost already obsolete. The S II has a dual core processor and just flies downloading data. 8 MegaPixel camera also takes really good pictures as well.

Just my 2 pennies and experiences so far using this phone.

Mike, 2ZE
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 06:57:54 AM »

*Java capability.

No Java on the IPHONE:

' The iPhone will not support Java applications of any kind. Steve Jobs has been quoted as saying "Java's not worth building in. Nobody uses Java anymore. It's this big heavyweight ball and chain."'

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/9731

Jim
WD5JKO
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 12:34:59 PM »

*Java capability.

No Java on the IPHONE:

' The iPhone will not support Java applications of any kind. Steve Jobs has been quoted as saying "Java's not worth building in. Nobody uses Java anymore. It's this big heavyweight ball and chain."'

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/9731

Jim
WD5JKO
This reminds me of the Yogi Berra quote on a popular restaurant:  Nobody goes there anymore.  It's too crowded.

An Android phone is basically a Java phone and it's outselling the iPhone two to one at least it was until this last weekend when the iPhone 4S flew off the shelves.

The Oracle/Google Java lawsuit over Android is what passes for entertainment out here in Silicon Valley.
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 01:15:23 PM »

Droid X here

Pretty happy with it so far, and it is like having a small computer with you at all times, and the mobile hotspot feature is very handy with the laptop when out of range of WiFi. Camera is surprisingly good, of course there's no real zoom function, and was quite surprised at the video it can take. micro SD card is under the battery, can remove, but it's not as easy as a push in. (OTOH, it's never popped out and 'gone walkabout' like the one in my old phone did)

If I were doing it now, I'd look at one of the 4G capable android phones, but check reviews on battery life, the early ones ate battery badly. My DroidX gets through the day with 50% left most days, but it's only 3G.

I was shocked to find Android didn't support exchange, but the Touchdown App has been doing the email and calendering for me with minimal fuss, so I'm happy there.

Some interesting Android apps out there. RF finder is good for finding repeater data. And there is an app for tracking cell phone site RF that we use at work.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 01:42:08 PM »

This seems to be boiling down to Droid vs. Apple. Then, personal preferences like keyboard, etc. My employer has a corporate deal with AT&T for wireless service, which, unfortunately, I have to stick with. I really don't care about web browsing and downloading raw speed, but basic connectivity and my experience has been Verizon and T-Mobile have far better coverage, fewer dead zones and dropped calls in the areas that I travel.

Thanks for the opinions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015