The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:45:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HQ-170 clock adjustment  (Read 2960 times)
N9axl
« on: January 09, 2015, 04:25:17 PM »

I just got a Hammarlund HQ-170.  It comes with this foot long steel rod with a knob. I've been told it is for clock adjustment but this doesn't seem to be covered in the manual. 
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 04:52:32 PM »

It should be attached in place through the hole in the cabinet back to the time set/ on time set control on the back of the telechron timer.  Once screwed into place pull back and turn to set time and push forward to set auto on time.

The clock motor is probably desperately in need of lubrication by now.

Personally I don't like leaving power applied to vintage gear when I am not around but if you are going to do so at least make sure that the line cord is in good shape, line bypass caps are replaced with modern safety rated types (don't catch on fire when they fail) with the hot side one after the fuse, check the power switch and clock power switch to make sure they are in good shape, and make sure you don't accidentally place the clock control where it is set to turn on the radio.

Some of the clock motors have a lube port on them, others have to be done using the procedure John Frye described a long time ago which involves heating the motor case by holding it against a light bulb or similar heat source then feed a steady source of oil to the main shaft so that it will be drawn into the case as it cools.  It will probably be necessary to repeat this several times.

Good luck (or replace the clock with one of the look alike quartz movements that won't turn on the radio but will keep accurate time running on a battery).

Rodger WQ9E
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 07:04:08 PM »

I just got a Hammarlund HQ-170.  It comes with this foot long steel rod with a knob. I've been told it is for clock adjustment but this doesn't seem to be covered in the manual.  

Page 18 of the 170A manual upper left in the box:

CLOCK TIMER -SET TO ON, OR AUTO IF DESIRED. INSIDE LID, PULL CLOCK SETTING KNOB TO REAR TO ADJUST TIME. PUSH KNOB TO FRONT TO SET AUTO ON-CONTROL. ONCE ON BY AUTO TIMER, SET MUST BE TURNED OFF MANUALLY BEFORE RESETTING CLOCK.

There is also a Hammarlund document #26380-G2, that details installation and operation of the electric clock timer.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 07:10:39 PM »

Pete,

The earlier HQ-170 doesn't have a top lid thus the long shaft, it isn't as convenient as the later model.

Those who complain about getting the long bolts in place in Johnson cabinets will really hate the long clock adjust part that Hammarlund provided.

Rodger WQ9E
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 07:19:55 PM »

Pete,

The earlier HQ-170 doesn't have a top lid thus the long shaft, it isn't as convenient as the later model.

Those who complain about getting the long bolts in place in Johnson cabinets will really hate the long clock adjust part that Hammarlund provided.

Page 18 of the HQ-170 manual:

* Hamm-HQ170-Page18.png (296.38 KB, 1920x1200 - viewed 316 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015