The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:55:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The buzzardly thunder of RCA!....  (Read 3307 times)
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« on: October 11, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »

Damn, all together on one page! Cheesy

http://fmamradios.com/RCA-50B.html

The KOB TX still exists in Farmington, MN.  On display only, too bad it's not making RF anymore. Cry

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 05:46:27 PM »

And never forget, chicks dig big caps on AM!... Cheesy

http://www.theradiohistorian.org/radio071.htm

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 07:08:57 PM »

Those were monster transmitters back in the day. No air conditioning and people wore shirt and tie to work. WHEW!!! HOT!!!.
And the engineer had to be on duty as long as the transmitter was on the air.

Fred KC4MOP
KD0HUX

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 07:22:50 PM »

Grin REAL HEAVY METAL Grin
K5IIA

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 07:45:17 PM »

i figure most people have seen this but here it is

http://www.oldradio.com/archives/stations/cinc/wlwpix.htm

how they roll east of the miss river.... 35,700 lbs mod transformer.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 06:06:00 AM »

Interestingly all those RCA 50 KW rigs are leenyars providing 10 dB from 5 KW exciters.  Sort of like my 20 w. driving the 2x3-500 to 300 w.  I'd rather have their exciter than mine though hi hi.  Aren't those big meters beautiful? 

One thing to think about with those old rigs way back in the 30s and 40s is that there was no peak limiting and one of the things the engineer at the tx site had to do was constantly watch the audio and try to control the level to the rig.   Transmitters frequently were knocked off the air by sudden blasts of audio. 

The solid state Harris boxes in the WLW page look so booooring and mundane compared to the tube rigs don't they.   Tongue  But if your job is to keep a station on the air they are probably a gift from heaven.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 06:28:31 AM »

Interestingly all those RCA 50 KW rigs are leenyars providing 10 dB from 5 KW exciters.  Sort of like my 20 w. driving the 2x3-500 to 300 w.  I'd rather have their exciter than mine though hi hi.  Aren't those big meters beautiful? 

One thing to think about with those old rigs way back in the 30s and 40s is that there was no peak limiting and one of the things the engineer at the tx site had to do was constantly watch the audio and try to control the level to the rig.   Transmitters frequently were knocked off the air by sudden blasts of audio. 

The solid state Harris boxes in the WLW page look so booooring and mundane compared to the tube rigs don't they.   Tongue  But if your job is to keep a station on the air they are probably a gift from heaven.

Rob
Thanks Rob,
Then that would explain why so many were on duty while the station was on the air.
What a job that would be to ride gain at the tx site. Never thought of that. Limiters and AGC's were later on. That would explain why they wanted such high power. Unprocessed audio and transmit and receiver technology of the day.
Howard Stern and his craziness would have knocked the station off the air continuously.

Fred KC4MOP
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 09:12:07 AM »

One thing to think about with those old rigs way back in the 30s and 40s is that there was no peak limiting and one of the things the engineer at the tx site had to do was constantly watch the audio and try to control the level to the rig.   Transmitters frequently were knocked off the air by sudden blasts of audio.  

I had to do that at my ham station until I picked up a retired broadcast peak limiter.  Had to keep the mic as close a constant distance away as possible, and ride the AF gain to keep the modulation near 100% without exceeding it in the negative direction or flat-topping the positive peaks.  Now I can just sit back and speak, and the limiter takes care of the rest.

My first one was the tube type Collins 26-U.  It worked OK, but had some overshoot. Plus no pre-limiting compression.  Then I acquired the Modulimiter from Fred in exchange for a modulation reactor.  It has built-in compression ("RMS Limiting") in addition to the peak limiting.  Holds the modulation right where it is supposed to be.  Later, a recording studio hobbyist wanted the Collins and made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and I sold it to him.  Used the proceeds to purchase the Sherwood SE-3, and even had a couple of bills left over, despite the fact that I let the Collins go for a little over half what they were selling for on ePay.

The solid state Harris boxes in the WLW page look so booooring and mundane compared to the tube rigs don't they.   Tongue  But if your job is to keep a station on the air they are probably a gift from heaven.

Keep the accountants  happy, too, with 80-90% mains-to-antenna efficiency, compared to about 25% for the hollow-state RCAs and others (regardless of whether they run plate modulation or operate in leen-yar mode). The power bill must be horrendous at those 24/7 blow-torches.  Probably didn't take the Harris long to pay for itself.

The power bill is not so much a problem with us amateur ops, since we transmit intermittently, even if we operate in Ozona Bob buzzardly fashion.  I once calculated that running a KW of full carrier AM, 3 hours of transmitting time per day every single day, would cost about the same as an evening at the pictures every week or two (or perhaps once a month if the whole family comes along), and probably less than one sit-down restaurant meal per month.  Pretty cheap entertainment.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 10:30:38 PM »

Then I acquired the Modulimiter from Fred in exchange for a modulation reactor.  It has built-in compression ("RMS Limiting") in addition to the peak limiting.  Holds the modulation right where it is supposed to be.  

There's a Modulimiter BL-40 on eBay now and IIRC the bidding is starting at $1K

yeah, here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UREI-BL-40-MODULIMITER-UREI-LA3A-UREI-1176-LIMITER-COMPRESSOR-1970S-/180737063710

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015