The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:31:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nearfest  (Read 18465 times)
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2011, 11:04:17 AM »

I did everything I wanted on Friday, great bargains in between downpours.

The real fun was the drive home in sporadic downpours and almost constant fog. A 70 minute drive down 2 lane blacktop trails (affectionally called NH state highways) took 2 hours.

Yesterday I mowed the lawn, changed tranny fluid in the Taurus and relaxed. Today I'll empty the car.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »

Yep, rain was a frequent visitor on Friday again, though it wasn't constant. Instead it would rain steady for 15 minutes or so, then sprinkle or mist for a while after that, then stop for an hour or two, just long enough to get your table uncovered and dried out a bit. Still managed to sell a few items, with much better luck on Saturday. Probably sold about 30% of what I brought, if that. Carl/KM1H even bought something.  Shocked

Picked up a neat little AM/FM 2m unit from Hosstrader Joe's estate. Odd little rig that Pete probably knows all about, a Comcraft CTR-144. Has a CD label on side and is in great shape, missing only the mic, manual, and one small aluminum knob insert. That was my only purchase, and I never even knew I wanted one prior to seeing it. Google turns up just slightly more than zilch for info.

The AM Dinner reflected the wx on Friday with roughly 50% of its usual attendance. Got to see a few new faces like Ross W1EKG as well as previous attendees like John 'FXE and Steve ex-'JXX who made the trip up together. Must've been a great time for those who attended, as we were still there yapping away while they were vacuuming the floors prior to locking the doors. Ruprecht didn't show up, neither did the unicorns. I think there was some collusion there.  Grin

The crowds flocked in Saturday along with the sunshine. Was a near-perfect day wx-wise, just a tad breezy. More familiar faces showed up at the AM Corral, and we ended the day chatting with Frank 'GFZ and Howie W1CL as we packed up to head home.

No doubt, it wasn't the best weekend in total, but things have a way of evening out, and folks who missed Friday missed some great deals. Especially from the estate sale. How about a decent NC-183D w/speaker for $150? Numerous KWM-2s w/supplies and consoles for $500, several amps with very reasonable prices, and so on. Only the Ranger at $400+ was out of place, since 'FOF had a cleaner example at his table for $200 or so.

TNX to 'QIX for putting on the Class E forum. Well-attended and well received.

Hard to believe that was our tenth event. Time really does fly. Looking forward to the spring installment.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 05:50:26 PM »

Picked up a neat little AM/FM 2m unit from Hosstrader Joe's estate. Odd little rig that Pete probably knows all about, a Comcraft CTR-144. Has a CD label on side and is in great shape, missing only the mic, manual, and one small aluminum knob insert. That was my only purchase, and I never even knew I wanted one prior to seeing it. Google turns up just slightly more than zilch for info.

Know it well. Had one here for several years until I found it a new home. And, yes, manual is available  Cheesy

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 08:32:44 PM »

Carl/KM1H even bought something.

Yeah, that old 1920's A-K whatever it is. I already scoffed the long power cable for the 1935 HRO.

Right across the lane from you I picked up that near mint SX-117 with manual, calibrator, and a full set of 10M rocks for $150.

Also a Heath Seneca for $40, BC-1004 at $50, a SP-200 PS for $5, Hallicrafters HA-6 for $20 (works well) and some small stuff from Steve and a few others on my way out. Best was a 18x18x12 cardboard box loaded with small manila envelopes full of parts and 4 80M BC-610 CW rocks at $5 for all. The envelopes were loaded with dipped silver micas, disc caps to 6KV, film resistors, etc. All had 1968-70 inventory cards inside and it came down from VT.

Sorry Tom didnt make it but I did have a nice chat with Jay, W1VD; several from the PRA which I belonged to when stationed at Newport in the Navy,  and a couple of the old National gang. That group is fading fast.

Also dragged home a NC-300 and HRO-500 from customers for restorations and delivered 4 finished items. Money wise I came out way ahead for once Grin Roll Eyes
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 09:23:33 PM »

Yes. The nicest people in the world attend Nearfest. Mr. Mike gives everyone a lollipop and they have unicorns you can ride. The unicorns poop rainbow-colored Skittles and chocolate rivers run through the fair grounds. The trees grow fruit flavored Lifesavers and cotton candy floats around like tumbleweeds.

Wow, sounds like it was a great time Grin Grin Grin I will make it there somehow this spring that is if the creeks don't rise and the rivers stay in within their banks.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 09:39:41 PM »

So what's the tube complement, if any?

What sort of power output and is the receiver FB or deaf?

Know it well. Had one here for several years until I found it a new home. And, yes, manual is available  Cheesy
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 10:00:52 PM »

Went to Nearfest on Friday for a 2 hour walkabout in the rain. Dropped off a Thoradson multimatch driver transformer for Bill K1BF who has been lusting for one.

Picked up a TA-12D from Brown who dug one out for me and spotted two ARC-5 T-19's that cleaned up and were fully tubed and had the cal crystals installed. 2 ARC-5's for 10 bucks total.

Saw quite a few R390A's.

Not bad.  Mike WU2D

* Bendix_WU2D_1.jpg (869.81 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 531 times.)

* ARC5_T19_2.jpg (843.48 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 505 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 11:16:03 PM »

Best was a 18x18x12 cardboard box loaded with small manila envelopes full of parts and 4 80M BC-610 CW rocks at $5 for all. The envelopes were loaded with dipped silver micas, disc caps to 6KV, film resistors, etc. All had 1968-70 inventory cards inside and it came down from VT.

I had a lot of those components in my mitts about 15 years back. I even know the base a lot of it came out of. One of the boxes I didn't haul home with me because I'd already dragged too much other stuff away. You must've done a good job of repairing his amp.

So what's the tube complement, if any?

What sort of power output and is the receiver FB or deaf?

Pete must know these answers. Haven't opened it up yet, but so far at least the receiver section is SS as it comes on instantly, though no signals or response. Might need to have a mic plugged in to function properly. No idea if there are any tubes in the transmitter section, not many if any I'd bet.

Very well made little box.

AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 12:00:13 AM »

Nice looking pair of T-19s Mike.  Looking forward to hearing them on the Sunday night OMRN CW Net.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 03:42:27 AM »

I tried to register and I got this "Sorry, registration is currently disabled." Must be a reason?
Yes there is a reason.  If we let the autoregister function go unchecked the spambots hit the site about 60 times a day with bogus e-mail addresses.  Then the SPAM starts.  Now all registrations are entered manually and the SPAM has disappeared from our forums which is a good thing.

Some of those who braved the elements on Friday got some great deals, especially from the K1RQG estate sale.  I cannot understand why anyone would stay away from a major hamfest because of a little water.   It really wasn't that bad either; the afternoon was much worse than the morning.  All you need are the right clothes.  Deerfield sits in a bowl and often it may be raining all around it but not right at the Fairgrounds.  I've seen this happen more than a couple of times too.

K1RQG's Viking RANGER was very pretty and in near-pristine condition.  Someone thought it was worth $400.00 because they paid the price and took it home.  Yes, I saw the RANGER that FOF had but it was gone the next time I passed his table.  Someone got a great deal!

I'm glad to read that a good time was had by all and that much great stuff was acquired.  The general consensus was that everybody had a good time.  We had no serious "issues" this time and are looking forward to May 4th and 5th 2012 when we will get together again at Deerfield NH and enjoy NEAR-Fest XI.

MrMike

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2011, 10:20:29 AM »

The calendar has finally moved enough to get us back into a full weekend in May.

As we've said many times in the past Mike, NEAR-Fest takes place twice each year, rain or shine, no rain dates. You go there for the people, the mystery of what might show up for equipment, the overall experience. You worry about the WX when you're planning a trip to the beach. You can always go to the beach again next week if it rains. You can't go to NEAR-Fest again for another 6 months or so.

A lot of folks got great deals on equipment from Joe's estate. Fewer people to beat you to the deals Friday. The only item I saw left on the table Friday night or Saturday morning was the CE-20A and 458 VFO. So clearly - the deals were there to be had. I didn't move my 20A either, despite a considerably lower price. Guess they're just not that interesting!

Looking forward to next May, and yet another load of 'schtuff' being transferred to the radio rooms of others. And it's always good to see those who make the trip.

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »

I had a lot of those components in my mitts about 15 years back. I even know the base a lot of it came out of. One of the boxes I didn't haul home with me because I'd already dragged too much other stuff away. You must've done a good job of repairing his amp.

It was your buddy Ray, I fixed his amp and delivered it back at the May Nearfest.

There was also that CR-88 on Georges table but at $350 asking I didnt even try.

Its Browns HRO-500 that I brought home to rebuild.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2011, 11:40:49 AM »

I hope you don't need to replace any UJTs Carl.
Design looks like quite the science project
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2011, 05:13:09 PM »

Ive got plenty of spares Frank.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2011, 02:20:05 PM »

good deal, they are very rare. Everything else looks pretty common
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands