The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 02:09:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hum inside a RANGER HV choke.  (Read 5250 times)
Knightt150
Contributing

« on: October 03, 2011, 09:39:42 PM »

I am trying to get to my new RANGER ll working, but the HV filter choke puts out a loud HUM. It sounds like the laminations are realy going at it. I used a wrench and tightend everything I could. When the power supply is drawing lots of current the choke quitens down to almost no sound. Is the only fix a new choke and where can I get one to fit?

John W9BFO
WD8KDG

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 10:30:32 AM »

Don't have the faintest idea how the HV choke is assembled, but...... could the bobbin be rattling about on the laminations?

Craig,

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:59:21 PM »

John,
The HV part of a ranger power supply is choke inpoot IIRC. Choke inpoot supplies really rattle the hell out of the filter choke. I have seen this before that the choke would rattle or hum to beat the band. Especially if something is loose inside of it or the mounting ears / brackets are loose. Or it ran for many years with the lamination screws loose.

Pull your choke out of the ranger and inspect it very carefully. Remove the end covers and make sure that the core seperator hasen't deteriorated. (that is the piece of heavy paper seperating the "E" laminations from the "I" laminations) If it is deteriorated it will definately cause the choke to rattle or hum.

If it is bad, replace it with a piece of similar thickness "fish paper".. Before reinstalling the end covers back on, give it a good baking at 180-190degrees for a few hours and drop it in a bucket of oil based varnish to cool. Pull it out and when the varnish seems somewhat dry, dunk it again. After several "dunks" set it somewhere warm for a few weeks to dry thoroughly. The varnish will both help keep the moisture out of it and also help lock everything together mechanically.

After the varnish is dry, reinstall the end covers and then reinstall the choke and see what happens.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »

Even better if you can pull a little vacuum on the varnish can.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 01:34:02 PM »

Even better if you can pull a little vacuum on the varnish can.

I'm working on a contraption to do just that

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 04:46:16 PM »

I got longer bolts at hardware store.  Then Cut some vacuum line and slipped it under the choke. Instant rubber insulators.  No more sound.

C
Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 08:26:27 PM »

Thanks for the come back on this, I have a old spare choke I might install, It maybe bad as the one in the radio we will see.

John W9BFO
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 08:14:34 AM »

I got longer bolts at hardware store.  Then Cut some vacuum line and slipped it under the choke. Instant rubber insulators.  No more sound.
C

Well....................

You can hammy hambone it, or you can fix it right. I guess that is up to the operator  Roll Eyes

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 12:56:07 PM »

Did you solid state the rectifiers? I'm not suggesting that you do but if it has been done, perhaps one of the diodes is open, causing the hum?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 09:45:52 PM »

Thanks guys, I have not solid stated the radio. I think I will try another choke. They all can't be as noise as this one is.

John W9BFO
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 02:55:19 PM »

John,

Try the choke you have and if it doesn't work out I will send you a HV Ranger Choke.

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 04:44:54 PM »

Clark,

None of my Ranger's have ever had a noisy choke.  That includes all of my Ranger I and II's.  If they were noisy, I would take them apart like Frank mentioned.   

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 09:47:36 PM »

To Joe W3GMS I have just found that the choke in my ranger is arking internaly I will take you up on the choke, and be glad to pay for it. I will try to get your email add or other info to contact you. The old ranger I have has been in poor storage for years and the choke could be just as bad, a lot of work for noting if you no what I mean.

John W9BFO
email w9bfo-am@charter.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015