The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:25:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get a load of gear to the hamfest in a hurry  (Read 6617 times)
KM1H
Contributing

« on: September 13, 2011, 08:18:43 PM »

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/779/article/Mostly_Stock_Ford_F250_Runs_182_MPH_at_Bonneville.html

This should be JN's new rig when he returns Roll Eyes
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:37:39 PM »

ya tell me about those noisy diesel trucks with the dual exhaust. Fish tailing around like first class idiots.
Then there's a new fad and some signage about Cummins Diesels..........
Then a pair of huge gonads hanging below the rear bumper..........
No one seems to need to tighten their belt, apparently.

Fred KC4MOP
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:58:56 PM »

Hey if you got it then flog it Grin Id rather have that then a Beemer/Caddy/etc  that costs the same.

I might even have to move my 400hp SS-396 over if I see one of those things coming Roll Eyes
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:17 PM »

I'm no stranger to very fast cars and what I learned from them is that expensive things break all the time and life is very fragile.

To make that Ford truck run those speeds? tall rear end gears, gross overfueling, and water injection to keep the pistons and other internal parts from melting. I'd like to see the stock pistons afterwards.

My buddies soup up M35A2 military trucks. The stock engine, an ancient design, makes 130HP @ 2650RPM and 300FT-lbs. No piston cooling. The truck runs 56 at redline.
Guys will take them to 160-180HP by overfueling and this is very easy to do, helps on hills, but never leave them there for long.

Guys with money to throw away will run them trucks 65 MPH. The nature of the turbocharged models is that once overfueled, they will really pick up past the redline. What happens next is the engine throws a rod. Maybe right away, maybe after a few hundred miles. There was one guy that bragged on his truck and used to drive halfway across the country at 65-70. One day right after leaving the military vehicle rally he threw a rod, not even pushing it.

Others will overfuel the truck, and despite the fact that the boost gauge shows 15 lbs and the pyro is at 1250, they keep it up just a little too long and find out what "eutectic" pistons means. Normal full load on them is 3-5 psi @ 1000 degrees EGT and the turbo is there for emissions, not extra power.

Mine was souped up a bit but not to the point of black smoke, and the tach and pyro ruled the way the vehicle was driven. I put 18K miles on it on the highway and finally sold it to trade for a 5-ton. When pulling up a hill and the pyro hits 1100, it's time to downshift a couple gears and take it slow or it's done for.

There are no fake gonads on the M35 or the 5-ton. Its childish. Its insulting to do to a military truck.

Time is ticking for those who do soup up a diesel that far, leave the engine "mostly stock", and run the p-ss out of it like that. I do not care how many computers oversee the engine. All it takes is once to partially melt a piston. Hidden damage. Diesel pickup trucks should run 300,000 miles and can be had cheaply at 200K, great for a few more years. If abused all its life and the engine returned to normal to hide what had been going on, how much farther will it really go?

Oh yeah Cummins was mentioned - my 5-ton has a 1970 technology Cummins NC250. 240HP/650FT-Lb. and 855 cubic inches (14L). Today's Dodge pickup truck has a dinky little 5.9 or 6.7 Cummins that makes about the same specs stock. High tech stuff, 24 valves, etc. Cummins is a great engine and I'd have it over the GM or Ford varieties. I'd like the GM truck with the Cummins engine.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:57:33 AM »

Then a pair of huge gonads hanging below the rear bumper..........

Women drivers.

You may want to read-up.
Best quote:
What part of the redneck culture will be regulated with a special Maryland law?

http://bentcorner.com/if-your-pick-up-truck-has-fake-testicles-hanging-from-the-trailer-hitch-you-better-stay-out-of-maryland/

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 12:22:15 PM »

So if you have a beef with someone from Md just install some testes when you see their vehicle at the next hamfest.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 05:56:03 PM »

Cool, but I'll stick with the Big Black Suburban... and I'd like to see Carl prowling a hamfest with a plastic nutsack in his hands trying to tie it to my bumper Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 06:27:40 PM »

Cool, but I'll stick with the Big Black Suburban... and I'd like to see Carl prowling a hamfest with a plastic nutsack in his hands trying to tie it to my bumper Grin

I'm surprised there are no KW AM rigs with those things hanging inside the front door tube window.  New meaning to "full scrote."

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 11:54:49 PM »

Do you mean hanging fake bull balls inside the transmitter?  I dunno. Those things never impressed me much on trucks except as a one time joke. They have the same 'custom' effect as fuzzy dice but fuzzy dice are cooler. I guess I am just an old sourpuss when it comes to "extreme decoration".

First read was incorrect and I thought you meant hanging a KW inside the door of the truck, making a souped up rig within a souped up rig. That makes more sense to me. Wouldn't be the first time the XYL seat got usurped by a ham.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »

Gotta give the TruckNutz guy credit. He made a gawful huge pile of cash selling those things. Wish I thought of it.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
KA3ZLR
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 07:42:45 AM »

LOL

Their wives Probably won't let them... Grin

I Can hear it now "Honey" O.M.G. take those things down to the Country Club
with the rest of the boys, not here in your toy radio...LOLOL

Jack
KA3ZLR
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 11:52:38 AM »

Cool, but I'll stick with the Big Black Suburban... and I'd like to see Carl prowling a hamfest with a plastic nutsack in his hands trying to tie it to my bumper

Thanks for the idea John, I'll have to get the other usual suspects to keep you occupied at the other end of the grounds Grin
Actually it would look funnier on Huzmans toy  Cool
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 12:25:07 PM »

... and I'd like to see Carl prowling a hamfest with a plastic nutsack in his hands trying to tie it to my bumper Grin

He'd never get there. The Lambda gang would tackle him on sight if he was carrying such a thing.  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 04:04:43 AM »

Gotta give the TruckNutz guy credit. He made a gawful huge pile of cash selling those things. Wish I thought of it.
There are still opportunities.

* 57___Cadillac_Eldorado_II_by_Lowrider_Girl.jpg (679.55 KB, 2226x1544 - viewed 311 times.)
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »

Gotta love those Dagmars Grin

Todd, maybe I should chase JJ with them but you missed the Spring fun by not having any Roll Eyes

WA3VJB
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »

Keep them small, please.
Gravity Storage Units. Less is better.

* IMG00230-20110415-1635.jpg (461.1 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 278 times.)
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 11:41:54 AM »

The Edsel would make a good start too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015