The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:07:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back "On the Air"  (Read 18481 times)
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 10:42:14 PM »

Yep, I have so much free time, I constantly monitor the forum to seize opportunities to mess with Ralph.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 10:46:22 PM »

The board was down??

Man, I spend too much time on the air. I miss all the happenings!!!

Oh well.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 10:51:09 PM »

Maybe someone ought to connect a 'Wobulator' or SBE to the board. Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 11:08:39 PM »

Yep, I have so much free time, I constantly monitor the forum to seize opportunities to mess with Ralph.

You too, huh?   Grin

The board was down??

Man, I spend too much time on the air. I miss all the happenings!!!

Oh well.

Fear not, Buddly! I'm sure that there will be more opportunities to enjoy another AMfone-sponsored 'Get Reacquainted With your Radio' weekend in the future.

We could make it a monthly event if it really catches on. Just imagine it: discussing radio and other topics on the air using good ol' Amplitude Modulation. What a concept!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 01:33:01 AM »

It was one of those damn chinese 833's the server uses.

I was getting so desperate, I almost joined QRZed.. Shocked Roll Eyes j/k I don't even think it's possible to get that hard up.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »

Hey, me too!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 11:40:59 AM »

You know I joined QRZ years ago, probably before joining here and never made a post other than looking for parts for the big W. I was really surprised how many good responses I received.

Then in 2004 the big W won the QRZ CD cover picture award. N3WWL used to use it for his wall paper. Now all I need to do is get it going again! (The previous was brought to you by the Broken Record Dept.)

If your going to use it for wall paper, view it on the "stretch mode" on your computer.

* KA3STN 163.jpg (1190.72 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 584 times.)

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KC2ZFA

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 03:00:03 PM »

I had noticed that a month or so before the outage amfone.net started wanting to contact google.com whenever I navigated to it (so I had to allow it in order to get rid of the notification at the top of the browser window).

This has stopped since the return of the forum and it now behaves like it did prior to the month I mention above (it no longer asks me to allow amfone.net to contact google).

Did that aberrant behavior have anything to do with the outage ?

Thanks for all the good work you guys put into Amfone.
Peter
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 06:37:57 PM »

a few days prior to the crap out I had noticed that the forum was loading sluggishly. It seems response times are back to normal.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KA2DZT

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 10:56:23 PM »

a few days prior to the crap out I had noticed that the forum was loading sluggishly. It seems response times are back to normal.

I just got high speed cable service, had been on dial-up.  Also now using a deluxe Mac.

I think my high speed connection to amfone has been sucking up all the speed from everyone else using the forum.

The server probably couldn't handle the high speed demand from my new high speed set-up and crashed under the pressure.

I would suggest a liberal application of WD-40 into the server's hardware.  Usually a half can in the morning and the remaining half can in the evening.  This maintenance procedure should speed up the sluggishness and prevent future crashes.

Hope my post is helpful.

Fred
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2011, 10:40:53 AM »

Then in 2004 the big W won the QRZ CD cover picture award. N3WWL used to use it for his wall paper. Now all I need to do is get it going again! (The previous was brought to you by the Broken Record Dept.)

If your going to use it for wall paper, view it on the "stretch mode" on your computer.

I remember seeing that on there, Terry, and the comments here about it being your Westinghouse. That's one of the greatest vacuum tube shots of all time, in my view. A lot of excellent content beyond the glass envelopes. The two tubes on the far left look like 4B32s.

Thanks for re-posting it here. Got a copy of it saved now.

I would suggest a liberal application of WD-40 into the server's hardware. 

WD-40 is excellent for protecting your vehicle's plug wires. I've found that the conservative approach works best, though. Liberal applications tend to be very wasteful and leave quite a mess for whoever comes along after to clean up. And they often end up causing more damage than good.

DeOxit is a good example. Along with being expensive, using too much can cause things like phenolic wafers to swell, rendering the associated control useless.

When all else fails, the BFH is the tool of choice.  There's one next to the AMfone server in a big, glass 'break in case of emergency' box, along with a mini fridge full of IPA. Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2011, 11:44:47 AM »

I don't think DeOxit is what it is cracked up to be.  I purcha$ed a $mall tube of it at Dayton one year.  It seems less effective in stopping noisy and flaky contacts than WD-40. The scratchy gain pot in my 75A-4 is still quiet after I sprayed it with WD-40 over ten years ago.  Before that, I had used various contact cleaners, and the scratchiness always returned after a couple of weeks. DeOxit doesn't seem any better than the other contact cleaners I have tried.  Most of the oily film in WD-40 eventually evaporates, leaving behind no gummy residue to accumulate dust or gum up the works, but the creeping ability of the fluid allows it to reach little nooks and crannies that would otherwise be inaccessible.

Damage from WD-40 might result to certain composition materials including lubricants, that are oil-soluble, but I have never had a problem with that. OTOH I have ruined plenty of things by melting away plastic or shellac when using other harsh solvents like automotive parts cleaner, acetone, denatured alcohol, etc.

For small delicate parts, I prefer to dip a piece of wire or toothpick into some WD-40 sprayed into a small bottle cap, rather than spraying it on directly or using the red tube that  comes with the can.  I also keep a few hypodermic needles on hand for applying liquids. 22-gauge veterinary needles and syringes are inexpensive and readily available from farmers supply outlets.

Larger needles/syringes, 16 gauge or  lower, work for applying small amounts of epoxy to hard-to-reach locations, although needless to say, that makes the syringe a one-time use item.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KA2DZT

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 12:04:52 PM »

I also use stuff called "2-26",  very good control and contact cleaner.  Hard to find, but HD has small cans of it.  They used to sell larger cans but now only small ones.   But, I think WD-40 does a good job and probably, like Don said, is all you need.

Fred
KC2ZFA

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2011, 12:32:04 PM »

Fred, what if the "hard disk" is solid state ? what liquid should we pour in it ?
KA2DZT

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 01:26:47 PM »

Fred, what if the "hard disk" is solid state ? what liquid should we pour in it ?

I would still recommend the WD-40 treatment but maybe use a little less.  Maybe a 1/4 can for each treatment,  should work FB.

Fred
KC2ZFA

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2011, 11:14:35 AM »

Yesterday the site started wanting to contact google.com again...this may be
the precursor to a repeat of the problem that led to the recent outage.

Peter

I had noticed that a month or so before the outage amfone.net started wanting to contact google.com whenever I navigated to it (so I had to allow it in order to get rid of the notification at the top of the browser window).

This has stopped since the return of the forum and it now behaves like it did prior to the month I mention above (it no longer asks me to allow amfone.net to contact google).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015