The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:41:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ceramic coil form with banana plugs?  (Read 5622 times)
ssbothwell SWL
« on: September 01, 2011, 11:16:41 PM »

i bought an old coil form off ebay for really cheap. i didn't even realize from the photo but it has banana plugs you can connect to the coil wrap. i've never seen this before. i assume this is so that you could swap out coil forms really easily. what equipment used this technique and do you guys think it worthwhile for me to try building a base for this thing to into or should i just replace the banana plugs with stand-offs?

heres a photo: http://i.imgur.com/vAFiM.jpg
(i just put the enamel wire on the form)
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 11:30:23 PM »

They are used in circuits where you change bands by changing coils...

The banana plug makes for a secure connection which takes only a moment to remove and replace.   Replacement plugs and receptacles are available from the parts houses. 

Trivia:  The banana connector was invented in 1924 in Germany

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 11:41:16 PM »

It's a good method for changing bands without all the switching. Just be sure to kill the power and discharge the caps before reaching for the coil.

The BC-610 uses coils with 5 banana plugs for the output tank and link coupling.

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
ssbothwell SWL
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 01:11:33 AM »

is there a name for the 'receptacle' unit that the coils connect into? it would be cool to find something preassembled rather than trying to build my own mount for it.
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 01:51:09 AM »

There are at least several "standard" bars with the appropriate socket spacing for different coil sets, but I'd just drill two holes and mount singles at the correct distance for that one.

These are the BC-610 coils...

http://128.205.126.49/images/Military/BC-610/BC-610-I/coils-01.JPG

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
KA2DZT

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 02:16:08 AM »

Nice coil,   probably if you removed a few turns, your coil will be just right for a 75M xmtr.

OK on the banana plugs,  most likely the banana plugs were added to the coil.  You can remove the banana plugs and just put brass screws there with terminals.  Use ceramic stand offs to mount the coil.  There are ceramic socket bars that are used with plug in coils.  These ceramic bars were called "jack bars" or was it "J bars".  The jack bars usually had five banana sockets spaced along the ceramic bar.  They were made to match the banana plugs on the plug-in coils.

I've seen a lot of these coils and I think that ceramic form was not originally a plug-in coil.  The banana plugs were added by someone.  Although I made be wrong.

Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015