The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:35:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiband compressor  (Read 6552 times)
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« on: August 30, 2011, 05:38:44 PM »

I have had a few people ask me what I am running for processing, so i figured I would take a screenshot and post it here on the forum.
If you have a Mac computer it comes with free software called GarageBand, its a pretty cool audio editing suite, not as powerful as ProTools but still pretty darn cool.
I run my mic through a mic processor, then the output of that runs in and out of my computer where it is processed by GarageBands built in multi band compressor (you will need to enable 'Monitor On' to pass the audio through), then it just comes out and goes into my modulator.
it is a 4 band processor that allows you to adjust the attack, release, in and out gain, the level of each output,knee, threshold and also change the frequency coverage of each band.
I find with a decent CPU and sound card the latency is barely noticeable.
I have attached a screenshot of the processor plugin

* Multiband.png (203.44 KB, 468x707 - viewed 484 times.)
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 07:09:12 PM »

I didn't know GarageBand had that function. Pretty neat. You always sound mahvalous!
KC2ZFA

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 07:38:28 PM »

thanks for the info !

I have a MacBook (not Pro) which I can use...however it only has one jack which
serves as audio input or output. So I thought of attaching a USB mic instead.

Do you guys have any opinion on the Behringer C1 or C1U condenser USB mics ?

Peter
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 08:01:01 PM »

the Behringer and the Marshal mikes sound great, the only problem i have with them is the omnidirectional pickup pattern, they pic up everything in the room
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 09:28:30 PM »

No software for windows? What would be a close second?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 09:43:04 PM »

Go get a copy of Reaper.  Free (for personal use) and then you can download lots of .vst and associated plugins.

ALL my processing is software.  I've run up to 13 devices in the 'chain', including downward expanding gate, de-esser, BBE sonic maximizer, bottom end digital restoration, multiband compression, peak limiting, etc.

You'll also want the upgraded soundcard drivers.  Reaper may or may not have them in the install files, if not they will tell you where to get them.  You want 0 latency, so you don't have the delay introduced through the monitor.

If you need help, let me know, I can pass along the chain, etc.  Fish fillet's is a GREAT de-esser, very simple to set up. 

Izotope is good, but expensive.  You get pro results, though.  If you PURCHASE Adobe Audition, you'll get a free copy of Izotope's software.  Izotope also has a straight broadcash plugin with most effects you'll want (some people have cloned Behringer, Volumax, etc via that plugin).  Broadcast.vst is a good one for getting your feet wet with the compressors in software, etc. 

And everyone's favorite VOICESHAPER.  It does a decent job for what it is...  NO plugins, but also takes almost NO horsepower.

The trick for windows I've found is finding soundcard(s) and drivers that will allow you to run in active mode....  Half duplex, in other words.  Full duplex cards have an endless echo to them, and not ALL drivers for the same card will let you turn duplex to full or half (I've also run two cards, one for audio in and one for audio out).

--Shane
KD6VXI

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 06:12:14 AM »

Any latency issues from using computers?

Fred KC4MOP
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 10:55:04 AM »

Any latency issues from using computers?

Sound card and driver dependant.  ASIO4ALL drivers for windows REALLY help that.

--Shane
KD6VXI
KC2ZFA

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 11:18:36 AM »

the Behringer and the Marshal mikes sound great, the only problem i have with them is the omnidirectional pickup pattern, they pic up everything in the room

bummer...so they're not really cardioid (which is what the advertisements say) ?
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 11:58:21 AM »

I also have a how-to written up about how to use an Idevice.  IE, IPad, IPhone, IPod touch, etc. for the same.

Gives results that rival protools.

They also have echolink for Idevice.  MEANING, complete remote control, processed audio, etc. from your telephone.  I haven't tried it on the Idevice, but via windows, my audio is processed BEFORE it hits echolink software, so I've gotten some really nice compliments over echolink LOL

--Shane
KD6VXI
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 04:43:19 PM »

bummer...so they're not really cardioid (which is what the advertisements say) ?
[/quote]

oh I was thinking of the Behringer B1 and marshal MX990, I have those in the studio here and they have a huge pickup pattern.
I havent used the USB mics
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 05:55:09 PM »

I have a B1, and it does not behave like an omni.  It might have a broad pattern, so stuff on "the side" of the mic may be picked up more than with a unidirectional.  I have some mechanical noise behind the mic, and it really does reduce it quite a bit!  I like a very quiet background!

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015