The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:34:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Earthquake rocks Baltimore (and the rest of the east coast)  (Read 22700 times)
kb3wbb
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 07:47:56 PM »

My son in Allentown PA said it shook things pretty good. I'm a few miles north (but on the other side of the mountain), and felt nothing.

Larry
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 08:10:51 PM »

Go here and tell the USGS about it.
Maps, feedback and more.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/se/082311a/us/index.html

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3LSN

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 10:26:32 PM »

Had just stepped into the elevator in my building 2-blocks from the Capitol when the car shook violently and chunks of broken plaster or cement started to rain down on top of us from somewhere up above. Noticed a lot of cracked plaster in the corridors, and a spire has fallen off of the National Cathedral. 

73, Jim
WA2AJM/3
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 11:23:48 PM »

Finally got a hold of the ball and chain after 1 1/2 hours of dealing with jammed up 23 cm CB. A lot of plates and dishes busted up, and a cracked window in the living room.

The reason quakes on th east coast are felt further than on the west coast is the bedrock is more solid and not as fractured from many previous fault lines.

Wow, you're only about 10 miles from my place, Mike.  Must be something about the bedrock.... family reports no damage at home.  That sucks.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, 02:34:53 AM »

What craziness! Who would have thought an earthquake in either area? Hope plates were the only things injured.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kb3qay
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2011, 06:13:10 AM »

I was standing in the living room, sandwich in hand wondering why the entertainment center was rockin' and thinking if someone on tv or radio does'nt confirm there's been an earthquake, I'm gonna seek out the nearest rubber room.....By the way Frank - That smoke will last a lot longer if ya don't light it......I'm right up the street from you today at the Golden Ring MSP Barrack - Jim
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 08:09:49 AM »

...By the way Frank - That smoke will last a lot longer if ya don't light it......I'm right up the street from you today at the Golden Ring MSP Barrack - Jim

Jim,
      you will be almost within walking distance of my home. But......................
I'm at work in South Baltimore, about 1/2 mile from the stadium.  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
kb3qay
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 09:17:23 AM »

Frank - We need to get together for an eyeball soon!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2011, 09:24:31 AM »

Frank - We need to get together for an eyeball soon!

Werkz for me

kb3qay
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2011, 09:43:59 AM »

I'm back here tomorrow for a 12 hr shift (8 to Cool - Still not back on the air due to the recent lightning strike that blew a hole thru my expensive LMR-400 coax and found its way to ground thru a cold water pipe behind the washing machine (which is also toast) The total casualty list includes Cell Phone, Electric Range, Maytag Washer, and 65 feet of coax with balun. I wudda preferred it just cooked the $15 coffee pot, but no such luck! Anyway, I'll keep pestering ya and we'll figger something out.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 09:54:27 AM »

Damn................. I just threw about 100' of LDF4-50 away about 3 weeks ago! !

(See, Gary,I can throw things out! ! )  Grin

wa2dtw

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 11:09:26 AM »

Wonder if fracking could have anything to do with it.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 11:49:13 AM »

Wonder if fracking could have anything to do with it.

Most likely not.

The earth crust here in Northern North America is still rebound from the compressions during the ice age a few years back. Most geologist/seismologists I heard last night attribute this episode to just that.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 11:55:36 AM »

or fricking
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 12:56:31 PM »

Interesting to track the damage and reports. We're maybe 2-3 hours south of the epicenter as the crow flies, and it shook quite hard for a few seconds around 1:53 but no damage anywhere in the area. DC looks to be within an hour of it, with a fair amount of visible damage. 

Even from Johnny's place to Mike's, ten miles or so. Clearly the bedrock formations to the north transmitted it further. Apparently the differences in bedrock from right to left coasts is quite substantial, which accounts for much of the differences in frequency and damage. Ya learn something new everyday.

We had a small one here within the last year, more of a thump or bang than shaking. It  Was in a couple up north that were at least so pronounced as this one.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »

QTH: Hartford Vermin-mont!

My wife felt it upstairs; I was in my den and felt nothing!

Nothing like the Northridge quake I rode in 1994.  I was in Sherman Oaks, CA just a few miles from the epicenter  Scared the 10-1000 out of us

Mister Mike.

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
WA3VJB
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2011, 09:35:19 PM »

Washington Monument.

You'll see a version of this photo around.

* Wash.Mont.jpg (477.37 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 344 times.)
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 10:06:37 PM »

It was a 5.8 centered on Mineral, VA. That's about 30 miles East of Charlottesville, VA, 36 miles Northwest of downtown Richmond, about 80 miles Southwest of Washington, DC, and about 74 miles Northwest of my QTH.

It was a pretty good shake. The hanging lights/chandaliers were swinging several feet, stuff moved around on the table and the house rattled and banged. It lasted 20-30 seconds. It took me about 5 seconds, maybe more to finally realize it was an earth quake. No damage though, at least none I’ve noticed so far.

Now the hurricane is on the way! Good times.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2011, 08:26:35 AM »

yup I'll be testing the 180 wind straps and 60 lag bolts between the wall plates and roof rafters
in a couple days. I might stay down there just to see the waves.
Mike
Northridge was quite the shaker. I remember going back in '96 and noticed the bridges rearranged over the 405 heading up to the S.F. valley. When I lived out there I would never stop under them in afternoon traffic. There was 1 spot stacked 4 lanes above the 405 that would be an ugly place to enjoy a shaker. It fell down. Also noticed a spot where the freeway heaved up a few feet.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2011, 08:35:54 AM »

Gives me a really good excuse to park my a$$ in front of the TV and play "couch potato" for 2 days! ! ! !   Wink  Grin

KC2ZFA

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2011, 09:25:33 AM »

Gives me a really good excuse to park my a$$ in front of the TV and play "couch potato" for 2 days! ! ! !   Wink  Grin

Asteroid at 11 !

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2011, 01:30:26 PM »

I just found out that a niece of mine is gay, she said the earthquake scared her straight Grin Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2011, 01:51:30 PM »

I heard a news report saying that cell phones in parts of the DC and NYC areas were inoperative for a while due to systems getting overloaded. Text messages seemed more reliable but one had to resend them several times.

True story? Did any of you experience this?

Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2011, 02:12:13 PM »

I heard a news report saying that cell phones in parts of the DC and NYC areas were inoperative for a while due to systems getting overloaded. Text messages seemed more reliable but one had to resend them several times.

I'm in Central NJ. Cell phone service was unavailable for me for the 30-60 minutes that I tried after the quake. Text seemed to be OK. Landline was fine as well.

No one was injured in this thing and there was no catastrophic damage AFAIK.   So this was just millions of people that just had to pick up their cell phone, call all of their friends with important transactions like "OMG! did you feel that!"....  "OMG! I felt it!"....  "OMG I'm going to call the rest of my friends now!".... "OMG, it was great to talk to you, lets have sushi soon!"... "OMG, great idea, bye!"

This gives you an idea of what to expect from the cell phone networks in a real disaster .... nothing.

--- Post No Bills ---
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2011, 02:29:09 PM »

Yep, had it here for 10 or 15 minutes. I didnt try text, real men dont text! !   Grin

Sushi, Hmmmmm....................... that sounds pretty good, sounds like lunch tomorrow  Grin

"OMG, it was great to talk to you, lets have sushi soon!"...

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015