The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:00:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ayone tried Firefox 4 yet?  (Read 20072 times)
AL7FS
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 10:53:35 PM »

I have to chuckle just a bit.  I have been running FireFox 4.0 for a while and it is just fine.  About 5 minutes ago, I was notified to update to FireFox 5.0.  What the heck...I just did it.  It added an ICQ bar but that can be just shut back off, which I have done.  Quite a few of my add-ons are not compatible.  I will have to wait for them to update to FF 5.0.

I like FireFox and run it on my Window 7 64 bit machine.

Jim, AL7FS
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 12:08:40 AM »

I've used Foxit Reader for a couple of years now. It is faster, less jerky, uses less computer resources and doesn't crash or hang up the computer all the time the way Adobe Reader did. I didn't uninstall Adobe just in case I run across some document that doesn't want to work with Foxit, but haven't used it for months.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5WLF
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 12:48:03 AM »

I enjoyed all I could stand of Adobe's constant updates and changed to Evince, which is the default PDF reader in the Ubuntu Linux distro. There's also a Windoze version and it works great on my 64-bit Win7 box at work. Much less overhead and no almost daily updates. Not moody and crashing all the time either. Love it!
W0BTU

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 07:50:05 AM »

Thanks, Rodger. :-) I've used Evince, but not Foxit.

73 Mike 
www.w0btu.com
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2011, 01:54:19 PM »

Based on the many complaints I had heard and seen here and elsewhere regarding Firefox 4, I declined to upgrade (or should I say downgrade?) to it. Then along came FF 5, which reportedly contained only minimal changes from FF 4. I skipped that one too, but instead have continued to install updates to FF 3 as they are released.  This morning when I downloaded and installed the most recent update to FF3, version 3.6.20, along with it came a notice from Mozilla that the latest and greatest, Firefox 6, is now available for download.

They are certainly going through new versions at a breathtaking pace. It took only a tiny fraction of the time to go all the way from V4 to V6 that it took to merely go from V2 to V3. Makes me wonder how much of this is any real improvement and how much is mere hype, or else if these "upgrades" from V4 on up are so full of bugs that they are shit-canning them almost as fast as they can be released.

Has anyone here tried any of these newer versions, and if so, did they solve any of the problems that allegedly plagued FF 4 or offer any real improvements over FF3?

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2011, 02:04:26 PM »

Things are moving right along.............Just automatically upgraded to FF 6.0

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KA3ZLR
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2011, 02:14:11 PM »

I'll be Perfectly Clear NO...I didn't like it.

Jack
KA3ZLR
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2011, 06:36:42 PM »

version 6 works perfectly here but I had some problems with some in the past.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2011, 09:15:25 PM »

But do you see any significant improvement over version 3?

- - -
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2011, 09:20:40 PM »

Version 3? They update as I understand it for security reasons and I haven't used V3 in years. My brothers has an older computer and it would not run on a few of the upgrades but he says this is the fastest and offers the least problems of all their programs so far. He had to remove some versions and go back to an earlier program but not a problem with this one and it works fine here without a glitch.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2011, 10:42:57 PM »

Version 6 works fine here. Actually didn't see much visual browser differences between version 5 and this one. I suspect there are some, but for my internet usage, everything I had before (tabs, icons, etc.) is still where I can find them. Speed over the last several versions has not been an issue for me.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WQ9E

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »

The upgrade to 6.0 went fine here and I don't notice any operational differences.

I did run into a problem with Firefox trying to use part of a GM order configuration site while "building" a new pickup.  Firefox (neither 5.0 nor 6.0) would open one order info section of the site but it works OK with Internet Explorer.  It makes a call to a Java script so the problem could be an interaction with the Java console.   This is the only compatibility problem I have ever run into with FF.

Rodger WQ9E
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 02:06:56 AM »

I have windows XP on my desktop computer, but Windows 7 on the laptop. I wonder if those who had "issues" with v.4 and higher were using an older OS like XP.

- - -
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2011, 06:36:32 AM »

Hi Don,
I know that we are not all lovers of M$ but WIN 7 is so much better than XP. I only have Win 7 in a laptop, but I have never run into any issues, like I have with the XP machines.

Fred KC4MOP
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2011, 01:24:57 PM »

I have windows XP on my desktop computer, but Windows 7 on the laptop. I wonder if those who had "issues" with v.4 and higher were using an older OS like XP.

I installed Version 6 on an old Dell Desktop (XP, Pentium III, 500K memory) that I still have running here. Seems to run fine. Keep this machine around to run some programs that aren't compatible with Vista or Win7.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015