The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:43:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex'in  (Read 31576 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 11:47:05 PM »

HPSDR a lot less hardware. Sample rate is 122 MHz. Exciter a lot cleaner.
WA4JK

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 02:11:16 PM »

The SDR-1000 is on it's way, I should have never got the softrock, I'm hooked into Smugggness. Now the fun begins, setting it up and making the adjustments for smoooth AM. Got the FA66 with the deal and the usb cable adapture. Now to figure out where to hook what.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »

You know when you spell Smug backwards it is Gums, which is what I hear flapping with most Smug users   Grin Grin Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
WA4JK

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 04:33:21 PM »

And somehow that is different than a boatanchor user...Bummpin gumms seems to be our passion

By the way for the Smugers, what version of PowerSdr should I load up??
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »

Not knowing your skill set I recommend sticking to official releases of PowerSDR instead of a beta release. Go for the latest and greatest which is version 2.2.3. Be sure to read W1AEX/Rob's excellent setup procedure to get your audio right. Here is his web site address. By the way, your posts are already sounding smug. Grin

http://members.cox.net/w1aex.psdr/psdrgain.html

Mike
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 05:55:57 PM »

Before you start diddling all over PowerSDR, just use the default settings until you're comfortable with the receive and transmitting capabilities.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 07:23:07 PM »

To be clear on this Pete I am an early adopter of Flex radio systems, both software and hardware. I spent way too many hours ironing out self inflected audio problems that can cause undue frustration when setting up an SDR=1000 for AM the first time. Your words of caution before making changes to software settings are noted but I have to say that I have found Rob's setup instructions to be a fantastic place to start. Yes I did say Start. I cannot find anything I disagree with in his writeup. If you can find exception with this I know Rob will be ready to make the necessary changes. I'm not mad or anything Pete, I am just trying to help Jerry avoid the experimenters error trap that waits if he chooses the path I took. I want him to be happy he picked up his Flex.

Best Regards,
Mike
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 07:32:07 PM »

My reference to diddling was not pointed toward anyone's particular setup instructions. Being familiar with even the default settings will go a long way in implementing additional instructions to "enhance" or "correct" any particular functions in the radio. I am also an early Flex user having come on board with one of the early SDR-1000 rigs the first year they were sold at Dayton.

Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 08:01:39 PM »

My reference to diddling was not pointed toward anyone's particular setup instructions. Being familiar with even the default settings will go a long way in implementing additional instructions to "enhance" or "correct" any particular functions in the radio.

That's good advice Pete. Jerry, I would say the best place to find out how to save your work in PowerSDR and recover from any problems you might find are in the Flex Radio manuals available free on the Flex web site. The best thing for me was to print the entire manual set (PowerSDR, SDR-1000 and FA-66 lit) out and have it handy. These are complicated systems and it really pays to read the manuals cover to cover. You'll be an expert in no time.

Mike
WA4JK

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 08:02:38 PM »

I read through the directions earlier and thought that would be a good starting place to begin just to get it running and learn the softwares many buttons and sliders. Thanks for the information..

Now for the fatherly advice, either settle down boys or put the gloves on and get it over with.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 11:18:47 PM »

If I remember correctly, the last official SDR-1000 manual was V1.18.0 which also covered PowerSDR V1.18.X. If you're going to load V2.2.3 as the PowerSDR software of choice, I would suggest reading/printing all the Release Notes from the newer PowerSDR V2.X.X that have been introduced since last year to see what impact it has on the SDR-1000. I would also suggest going to the Flex Knowledge Center, http://kc.flex-radio.com/Default.aspx to do specific searches on issues you might have. The Download section is the place to pull down information on the SDR-1000 and related products, http://support.flexradio.com/Downloads.aspx?fr=1 As you get further rolling into the Flex world, you may find useful info on the user supported Flex Radio Wiki web site, http://flexradiowiki.com/frsradoiowiki/index.php?title=Main_Page And as Mike points out, since having been the authorized printer and distributor of the Flex manuals for the last several years, I've received numerous comments from customers on the value of having the full color, high resolution printed manual handy when you sit down in front of the computer and fire up the Flex rig.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2011, 10:19:44 AM »

2.2.3 has been modified to work with HPSDR and K5SO beam steering. I hope to get it running tonight. Loaded  new firmware into all boards last night.   
WA4JK

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2011, 10:41:07 AM »

Thanks Guys, everything is printed out and I'll sitdown this weekend and load up. I plan on setting the Am side up per the document and have everything software setup before powering up the transmitter. Maybe I'll catch some of you around the 3725-3710 or 7280-95 area this weekend. If I get it running well enough,  I'll run up the 14286 and give bill a last final call out of respect.

On that note, I would support a 20m AM one day Bill fest, I think he was best known for his holding 14286 as the AM spot on 20m. But that is my idea and is not reflective of the sponsoring stations of this forum.
WA4JK

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2011, 11:03:34 AM »

Here is another question that I will eventually have to tackle, I will be using the sdr in combination with a Hammarlund HLX-one. I know my tube based grounding circuits were healthy enough to handle the internal T/R relay in the HLX which requires a ground to pullin the relay. Will the SDR Amp relay be able to do the same?
w1vtp

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2011, 05:14:54 PM »

Here is another question that I will eventually have to tackle, I will be using the sdr in combination with a Hammarlund HLX-one. I know my tube based grounding circuits were healthy enough to handle the internal T/R relay in the HLX which requires a ground to pullin the relay. Will the SDR Amp relay be able to do the same?

I wouldn't try it!  Much better to use an external relay and drive it with the Flex TX relay.  Even then I'd fuse the output of the Flex - it's only a reed relay.  You don't want to think about replacing it.

Al
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2011, 05:32:15 PM »

I would consider a solid-state keying circuit to key the internal relay of the HLX-1. I've used my SB-200 with both the SDR-1000 and Flex 5000 but the SB-200 has the "soft key" solid-state circuitry installed so I can key it with just about anything.  It shouldn't be that difficult to build one from scratch. In time, the Flex will drive my Johnson Thunderbolt and 6N2 Thunderbolt.

In looking back at your posts, you never mentioned what type of computer you plan using (model, OS, memory, etc.) which is an important piece of the installation.

WA4JK

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2011, 10:43:41 PM »

First shot will be a pentium 4 2.5gighz, dual core, 256meg onboard. It's stripped of all unnecessary junk.
I will dig out the junk box for some relay circuit building. I'll need to look up a circuit to build.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2011, 06:53:59 AM »

First shot will be a pentium 4 2.5gighz, dual core, 256meg onboard. It's stripped of all unnecessary junk.
I will dig out the junk box for some relay circuit building. I'll need to look up a circuit to build.
Good computer power to do a lot of goodness.
And for external keying, build a "Station PTT". A foot pedal and master relay that does all of the closures. Or have a couple of relays that key to give you closures, if you want to separate PTT lines. And ADD a capacitor /Diode across the coil to hold the main T/R relay in TX mode for an extra 200 milliseconds to assure full power down of the amp.

I agree with Al. My SDR 1000 was used and it had a bad relay position, then I destroyed another relay.........Easily damaged.

Fred KC4MOP
WA4JK

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2011, 07:37:09 AM »

That's an idea Fred. I could put a 12vdc relay through the foot switch on the coil and take one pair into the PTT on the SDR and the other to the AMP with common ground on close and that would protect the SDR. I wonder if I should put a diode across the 12vdc coil? I don't see how I would need to on dc.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2011, 11:10:04 AM »

That's an idea Fred. I could put a 12vdc relay through the foot switch on the coil and take one pair into the PTT on the SDR and the other to the AMP with common ground on close and that would protect the SDR. I wonder if I should put a diode across the 12vdc coil? I don't see how I would need to on dc.
It's just common practice, even with DC to put a diode across the coil. I had so much kick-back from one relay coil that it would trip the crowbar on a switching power supply that was keying the relay. The next time I would tromp on the PTT there was no TX. The P.S. shut down.

Fred KC4MOP
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2011, 11:36:35 AM »

And for external keying, build a "Station PTT".

Excellent advice Fred (and Al further up the thread). I ended up doing this several years ago and it has been a worry-free way to handle all the T-R switching. My handheld PTT switch closes a 12V DPDT relay, with one set of contacts closing the amplifier T-R relay and the other contacts closing a bank of reed relays that key whatever rig is selected and also transfer my dedicated receive antennas to ground. It's slick, and if you house all the relays in a nice metal enclosure you get a satisfying "Thunk" at the beginning of each transmission. Yah... that makes it all worth it!

In the ANT selection tab of PSDR does the TX delay function work with the SDR-1000? It's very useful for fine tuning the timing of the T-R transition and pretty much guarantees that you will never end up hot-switching. I typically run between 100 - 150 ms of TX delay and it seems to work very smoothly.

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
w1vtp

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »

<snip>

In the ANT selection tab of PSDR does the TX delay function work with the SDR-1000? It's very useful for fine tuning the timing of the T-R transition and pretty much guarantees that you will never end up hot-switching. I typically run between 100 - 150 ms of TX delay and it seems to work very smoothly.

Never noticed that Rob.  Does it work at the other end and turn off the RF before switching the linear over to thru' put for the RX mode? Or would one NOT want to do that?

Al
WA4JK

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2011, 09:50:03 PM »

Got the flex SDR1000 connected to the putter, Had a few issues with getting the drivers loaded but got'er done. Everythings talking execpt me. Found out my son borrowed my Mic and stand the other day and left it at the band practise hall. Guess I'll run a little CW and see if I can get the virtal cables to work on Digital.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2011, 12:29:54 PM »

Never noticed that Rob.  Does it work at the other end and turn off the RF before switching the linear over to thru' put for the RX mode? Or would one NOT want to do that?

Al

Nope it only delays the RF output when the rig is switched into the TX mode. I have never seen any transition issues when un-keying, but I suspect that the reed relay that I use to handle T-R transitions with the Flex probably unlatches faster than the T-R relay in the ampifier so the Flex never stares into infinity while transmitting.

Rob

* tx-delay.jpg (24.11 KB, 288x370 - viewed 443 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2011, 12:51:33 PM »

Hello Friends.
I remember a bad snafuuuu here using a dedicated outboard PTT. When I used the SDR 1000 or any hardware like an SDR in the digital mode and I had Ham Radio Deluxe take over the CAT commands...........the DAM thing will key up from the software and kapow RF right into your RX. The software will key the radio NOT your PTT or T/R relay system!!!!!
So I have a note in the shack when using Ham Radio Deluxe and digital software that is going to exclusively control the SDR..........to hook the radio box to the correct, or resonant antenna directly. Bypass your station PTT and T/R relay.
For an SSB or AM QSO you would use your station PTT system.

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015