The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:35:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: qrm  (Read 3326 times)
K5IIA

qrm
« on: August 14, 2011, 05:42:36 PM »

i dont want to start some kind of a bahsing type of a thread or what ever but wanted to share what happend to me today. i was on 14.286 and had been there for 3 hours or more. worked a few stations bla bla. well as you can expect you could hear the regular splater from other stations but was about what i would call normal. well all of a sudden it really starts picking up.  well what happend a net had fired up on 14.287

well i fliped over to the ssb rig and went to there freq. they actualy ignored me for abotu 10 minutes while i tried to break in.  then they finaly let me say my piece and i asked them how long they had been there. i wanted to find out of the band had changed or if they just fired up next to me.  well they never would say how long they had been there. and asked me if i wanted to join in on the net. hahaha

i said no, i want to use my freq that i was on without interfearnance. that is what i want. w6pss also got to hear all of this. this is to me the funny part, you know what the guy said? he said give them 15 or 20 minutes and they will be done and i can have my freq back. hahahahhhahha

i keyed back up and told them that i think what they were doing was wrong, and that i was going back to my freq and i hoped they would do the right thing and not qrm me.

they kept going and i just called cq for a while and gave up.

i was going to move, i know how it is when you have a net and been on a freq for ever but man with that attitude it was hard to just let itslide.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 05:47:05 PM »

Heya Brandon,

I agree with your hope of not starting a bash of some kind, but it feels like you had a sense of entitlement to 14.286 even though you were not in an active QSO.

Sounds like the activity on 14.287 had the right of way, WHEN they powered up.

Moreover, they extended an olive branch to you -- which was refreshing --

he said give them 15 or 20 minutes and they will be done and i can have my freq back.

There's nothing about 14.286 to keep you locked in.  20M is a tight band, but if you slid lower, perhaps?  At least for 15-20 mins?  

I've zero'd the Canadians on 3825Kc after 2230Z or so when they have a gathering. I'm welcomed warmly, and a few of them will switch to AM when I make a transmission. Before 2230Z, the frequency is the place for the "where the fk is Dave," net, and a handful of AMers are found regularly in roundtable there.

K5IIA

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 05:50:04 PM »

no i was in a qso with w6pss sorry i did not make that clear.

73, Brandon K5iia
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 05:52:28 PM »

Well, okay, that's a little different, then, and in that case, you were right to at least ask whether you could finish up or whatever.

But to then call CQ for a while seems belligerent, and not the sort of battle I'd choose to fight.

I suppose you and W6PSS could even zero beat at 14.287, finish out, and say howdy to their group and be on your way for 15-20 mins, coming back later, or even standing by after saying hello to those gathered.
K5IIA

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »

i try not to be one of the, i paid for a crystal so this is my freq kinda guy hahaha

73, Brandon K5iia
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 05:55:28 PM »

Nah, it's cool, you were there, you were talking.

Once you were acknowledged, if you felt like making the point, you and PSS could sidetrack THEIR gathering for a few mins to finish out, be polite, and who knows, maybe all of them would have switched over to AM for a few minutes and you could have continued with a roundtable, as best as propagation might have allowed.
K5IIA

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 05:56:03 PM »

yea i understand. in todays time with be quiet and just take what ever is thrown at you. its hard to figure out when to stand up for what is wright, or just give up, do nothing and hope it gets better somehow.

73, Brandon K5iia
WA3VJB
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 06:01:46 PM »

So true.

There are two things you mentioned that were a cue to take a soft approach -- they invited you to join them, and they said give them 20 minutes.

You don't get that from a'soles.
K5IIA

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 06:10:25 PM »

well the hole reason i wrote this up, was i thought someone may get a laugh out of them telling me to hold on til they got done.  maybe my newness in ham radio is what is making me look at this differnt then you. i thought it was totaly wrong and pretty funny.

next time someone fires up 1kc from you, lets you try to 3 or 4 times before they acknowledging you. then refuses to answer when they got on the freq, and basicaly says when we get done you can have your freq back. let me know what you do. sure i could have joined in, and sure i could have moved away from them.

i just thought it was a funny story and didnt know that i needed to look at it from the stand point of what i could have done better. but i'm sure it will happen many more times in the future and i'm sure i will do it to people myself. its just how it is. hell i may even ask someone to hold on instead of saying sorry.  Grin

73, Brandon K5iia
WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 06:18:42 PM »

It's all perspective, yes.

I have to say, I am easily provoked when a slopbucket deliberately fires up near an existing AM QSO. But most of my activity is on bands that are far less congested than 20M, so the expectations are different in the first place -- there's ROOM to space farther away.

Don't take your "newness" as a reason to get walked on, if I might offer (more) advice.  Basic operating courtesy applies regardless of how long you've been in the hobby and on the air.

But if you haven't tried it, you might get a kick out of checking into their net the next time you know they're powering up, saying hello, and seeing if anyone notices you're on AM.

I've gone 20-30 minutes in such groups, carefully zero'd, before anyone catches on.  Pretty funny, really, because once someone asks my equipment or whatever, and I reveal my mode and my 65-year old transmitter, the reaction is priceless.
K5IIA

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 06:26:20 PM »

yea i had two differnt guys answer my cq's today on usb. it was neat, the one guy was so new that he said man if you want i can look in the book and see how to get on a.m. i told him it was ok not to worry about it. i thought it was funny, he was new enough that to him there was not much of a differnce. he could understand what i was saying and i was hearing him so that was good enough for him. kind of like kids. they notice people are differnt looking but dont put much to it. they have to be taught to think people are different. kind of like hams having to be taught that ssb'ers are diffrent from a.m'ers when actualy people are pepole and there are a holes everywhere. haha

73, Brandon K5iia
KA3ZLR
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 07:22:48 PM »

Sometimes there is Just No Respect man...Mine Mine Mine...Put another rock in and move.
Spin the Dial..

Jack
KA3ZLR

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 08:13:04 PM »

Sounds like you need an amp or a bigger antenna.  Im on .286 some mornings and seldom get deliberately QRMed but when I do the afterburner comes on.

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015