The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 10:59:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson Ranger 1 problem  (Read 3408 times)
K8DGL
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:01:44 PM »

I just picked up a Viking Ranger 1 with a problem. Seems I can only get audio with the audio pot in one presice spot. Sounds like a bad pot, but I have checked and cleaned it and checked it again. Tubes all check OK. Voltages all OK. Any ideas?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 10:22:22 PM »

Before ripping out the pot and replacing it, try squirting some WD-40 into the pot housing.  That has worked for me, even after contact cleaner failed to improve anything.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K8DGL
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 10:27:11 PM »

I have sprayed it with tuner cleaner with lube. Smooth reading on the ohm meter while turning shaft.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 10:42:52 PM »

if i have a pot that acts like that, i turn it back and forth a couple times to try and maybe get any crap on the contacts wiped off.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 10:25:28 AM »

Check to see if the coupling capacitor between the output of the first audio preamplifier stage and the top of the potentiometer is working properly. If it is shorted or partially conducting, this would place a DC bias on the grid of the 2nd preamplifier stage... whose value would be very sensitive to the setting of the potentiometer.

Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 05:31:21 PM »

The best way to check the pot is to remove the wires on the center and one end and put a ohm meter on it and run it through its paces, that will tell the story.

John W9BFO
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 10:29:30 PM »

This is a right of passage with a ranger 1 or valiant.  The Audio pot and the Driver pot fail. Order new Clarostat pots and replace both at the same time. 

Good advice on the cap also!

C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015