The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:09:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nighttime pool pics  (Read 7783 times)
w1vtp

« on: July 05, 2011, 11:13:42 AM »

Since I am putting so many hours in at work, the possibility of nighttime swimming has occured to me. I have a well positioned flood that lights the pool nicely.

Don't have a thermometer right now but the last dip was almost like bathwater.

Al

* DSC_1018-sm.jpg (235.67 KB, 2000x1325 - viewed 385 times.)

* DSC_1019-sm.jpg (218.9 KB, 2000x1325 - viewed 359 times.)
w1vtp

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 11:14:53 AM »

Couple more pics along with a sat view.  I lost my pretty blue view but you can see the roof of the new shack

Al

* DSC_1020-sm.jpg (211.12 KB, 2000x1325 - viewed 326 times.)

* DSC_1021-sm.jpg (249.34 KB, 2000x1325 - viewed 343 times.)

* SAT VIEW.jpg (14.25 KB, 323x325 - viewed 362 times.)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:27:11 AM »

Woa, AL
That's a nice pool. 18 feet dia and 4 feet deep??
My wife is working her friends to 'donate' money for an above ground like yours......Sams has 'em
Apparently a rage for us wannabees that want a less expensive alternative to a swimming  pool.
Keeping the water healthy can get complicated, especially if you let it go green. Algae is bad news.

Keeps the chemical companies happy.

Fred KC4MOP
w1vtp

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 11:37:09 AM »

Fred

It's really not a lot of work once you get the hang of it. The hardest part is taking the cover off.  Just be ready to use the good testing kits that are available. The water was clear from day one this year. I had some dead alge (black) that came up with the first vacuum. I have another tool that gets the leaves out. Once that is done it's fun swimming time   Smiley

I took the vacuuming job away from my son because I like the workout to the upper body muscles.
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »

Pool is 24' across and 52" deep at the edge and way over you head in the middle. You can make out the middle in this installation shot

* POOL BASE.jpg (232.93 KB, 1708x1144 - viewed 384 times.)
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 12:08:17 PM »

Hey Al,

Nice looking pool!! It's amazing what gets lit up at night by water..
Open the pic below that I have enhanced the low light images..

Grin Grin Grin

* where-there-is-light.jpg (280.82 KB, 2000x1325 - viewed 362 times.)

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »

Here's my "pool". Beats the chlorinated stuff any day.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 04:21:14 PM »

ahhh yes........makes me 'homesick' for the Philippines and that bath water warm water...and they have nice soft white sand too..... it was goodness a half a world away

Fred KC4MOP
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 07:22:46 PM »

Yo Al, Did you ever try jumping from that overhead site that you pictured?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
kg8lb
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 07:56:47 PM »

Great looking pool Al . Good on ya  !

When I graduated (barely) from High School my first "job" was to excavate for our 16x40 ingound pool. My father was a builder and we had just moved in to the new QTH out in the sticks. Really enjoyed coming home from work on a hot summer evening and going for a cool swim. Nice not having to travel the 10 miles out to the beach  (Fresh water, a lot of that around here)  Very sweet indeed even going swimming early in the morning on weekends. Of course bringing a YL or two along had it's charm (This was the late 60s and them girls were easy to find ). Once enclosed we got the year round use benefit. Once we move to Tennessee our property is on a 180 foot high bluff right on the French Broad River . Plan to duplicate our old pool there . Beautiful view of the mountains and year round swimming . Gotta love it !
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »

The ocean is like a cesspool nowadays running over with virus, some good, some bad.

If that were not bad enough, now it's acting like a repository for heavy metals at an alarming pace.  Then we have the problem with carbon dioxide where the ocean is supposedly acting like Sponge Bob sucking it all up. It makes me wonder how anyone would wish to enter something that may suck the life out of you? (You) is in a general term, not necessarily you  Grin Grin Grin  The reason I think the ocean may suck the life out of anyone is because as it depletes it's natural resources, it will look upon all those who may enter for replenishment. BEWARE!!!

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
w1vtp

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 10:21:32 PM »

Jeff

Scary!!!    Shocked

Terry - a jump from the tower would make one hell of a splash   Grin
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 03:07:28 AM »

The ocean is like a cesspool nowadays running over with virus, some good, some bad.

If that were not bad enough, now it's acting like a repository for heavy metals at an alarming pace.  Then we have the problem with carbon dioxide where the ocean is supposedly acting like Sponge Bob sucking it all up. It makes me wonder how anyone would wish to enter something that may suck the life out of you? (You) is in a general term, not necessarily you  Grin Grin Grin  The reason I think the ocean may suck the life out of anyone is because as it depletes it's natural resources, it will look upon all those who may enter for replenishment. BEWARE!!!

Very funny post. It almost sounds like some ham shacks I've seen pictures of. At the Jersey shore, the ocean won't suck the life out of you, but if you walk the boardwalk, BEWARE of some of the food stands.  Cheesy

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w1vtp

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 03:36:39 PM »

Very funny post. It almost sounds like some ham shacks I've seen pictures of. At the Jersey shore, the ocean won't suck the life out of you, but if you walk the boardwalk, BEWARE of some of the food stands.  Cheesy

Hey Pete!   Check out the sausage stands at Near-Fester.  That grease will coat the innards and protect you from all kinds of toxic stuff   Grin

Al
WA3VJB
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 10:00:10 PM »

We've been at the pool all week.

* IMG_8598.JPG (109.33 KB, 640x480 - viewed 318 times.)

* IMG_8080.JPG (1332.97 KB, 4416x3312 - viewed 309 times.)
N0WVA

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 12:20:19 AM »

Pool is 24' across and 52" deep at the edge and way over you head in the middle. You can make out the middle in this installation shot

This is what I do for a living. Theres a few tricks to this trade. I get a lot of people who get half way through, then figure out its not coming out right. I usually charge more for those jobs.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 05:20:26 PM »

Same size we have here, Al. Sure comes in handy on those 90+ days.

No idea if you're aware of it, but there are common household chemicals available that will do the same thing as most of the commercial ones, at a fraction of the cost. We use 20 Mule Team Borax to raise the pH, Baking Soda to raise the alkalinity, and good ol' plain bleach for chlorine. Cuts the cost of the pool between 50-75%. We still use shock, chlorine tablets, and algacide now and then, but it's a big difference.

Hoping to finally have ours online this week. Been on the go for the last two-three months and have fallen behind on things here as a result. Temp might hit 100 tomorrow. Need to replace a leaky hose, vacuum, and balance. Doesn't look quite as sparkly as yours, yet.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
kg8lb
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 08:54:20 PM »

This is what I do for a living. Theres a few tricks to this trade. I get a lot of people who get half way through, then figure out its not coming out right. I usually charge more for those jobs.

Yep, The one my father built in 1968 is still going strong . I live 2 blocks frome that house today and I see it regularly.
  Hard to find "professionals" today.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015