The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:36:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Album Recorded With BA Equipment  (Read 7615 times)
AJ1G
Contributing

« on: July 02, 2011, 11:01:20 AM »

Was looking through recent music CD releases the other day and came across this gem- John Mellenkamp's "No Better Than This" released last August....Always have been a Mellenkamp fan and when I saw that this one was produced by T Bone  Burnett, I was sold.  And I wasn't disappointed.  All tracks were recorded on a 1955 Ampex 601 in mono, using either  a single  RCA 77DX or RCA 44 at either Sun Studios in Memphis, Room 414 of the Gunter Hotel in San Antonio (where Robert Johnson recorded), or at the First African Baptist Church in Savannah.  Wonder what amps and guitars were used - lots of 50s style reverb on many tracks.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 11:10:44 AM »

That's a good gear list.  The complete opposite of Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound".

Mono music never hurt anybody.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
WA5VGO

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 08:15:22 PM »

That's a good gear list.  The complete opposite of Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound".

Phil Spector hates stereo. All of his classic hits were originally mixed and released in mono.

Darrell, WA5VGO
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 10:59:30 PM »

one of the reasons for the wall of sound was to make a recording that sounded very good when played through an am radio.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
KB1OKL
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 02:38:56 AM »

A big part of Spector's sound was in using multiple instruments such as recording two or three basses being played in unison, same with guitars and horns, he got the big wall of sound at least in part that way.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 07:02:21 AM »

73DG
Definitely True!!!!!
There are folks who search for the mono version of many of the old hits or present music today offered in mono.
Phil Spector had dim view of LP's............one good song and the rest was crap. Some of that has changed, but still basically a true statement.

Fred KC4MOP
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 07:09:58 AM »

73DG
Definitely True!!!!!
There are folks who search for the mono version of many of the old hits or present music today offered in mono.
Phil Spector had dim view of LP's............one good song and the rest was crap. Some of that has changed, but still basically a true statement.

Yeah since the left speaker on the computer at work broke, I like to find youtube music in mono so I can hear everything.  Roll Eyes

AMI#1684
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 07:58:37 AM »

Got a local ham buddy who just restored a 1938 Zenith console.  His latest comment "Stereo just isn't what it's cracked up to be..."

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 10:47:10 AM »

One of the tricks used for mixing and mastering records 'back then' was for the engineer to listen to the mix on a typical car radio setup and speaker. Sometimes, you don't want to listen on a pair of thousand dollar studio monitors.

I once got a phone call from a listener complaining about 'too much bass' on a radio station..The guy had a $10K audio system in his BMW, including a gadget called a thumper, which is basically a voice coil assembly coupled to the car's body to pass along subsonic audio.

OK, yeah.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 02:58:29 PM »

Got a local ham buddy who just restored a 1938 Zenith console.  His latest comment "Stereo just isn't what it's cracked up to be..."

I listen to FM broadcast radio in mono.   Better S/N.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
N0WVA

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 08:32:04 PM »

Get the Raising Sand LP by Plant and Krauss. I think TBone produced it, too. Good music.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 11:59:18 PM »

Get the Raising Sand LP by Plant and Krauss. I think TBone produced it, too. Good music.

Was just listening to that driving down I-95 from northern RI tonight...The cover of the Everly Brother's Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On) is one of the best cuts on it.  Yep  - T Bone produced and played on it as well.  Won a Grammy - best album of 2009.  Gone Gone Gone also won a Grammy as a single.  Here's a link to a Gone Gone Gone video - kinda goofy - the better parts include T Bone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YVRxAX6fwg

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 10:46:57 AM »

Didn't T Bone play bass with Hall & Oats? I thought I saw him one time whilst watching Soul (say "SoooooouuuuuuuuL") Train!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 12:17:26 PM »

First saw her live in 1987. She was still a kid of 16 or 17.

One of her better recent efforts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFjX4MDDhI0&feature=related
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 09:03:35 PM »

Too mello but she is one of my favorites.

While Zenith was good in the late 30's Philco had the edge IMO and RCA and S-C were in the mix. A Philco 38-690 is as about as good as it gets altho the Zenith 12S265 and RCA 811K sitting on either side are no slouches.

The zenith of mono was in the mid 50's with RCA's Quadraphonic Stereophonic consoles. AM-FM with phono deck and mono PP 6V6's to a pair of 12" and a pair of 4" speakers. I play the mono records on a rebuilt Garrad, or play thru the PC from Live 365. Most of the time one of the SX-62A's is run thru the audio deck.

Carl
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 10:29:17 PM »

Here's one that isn't so mellow. It's from a show in 1988 when Krauss was just 17. I was there. Good show.

Jam warning - this thing is over 15 minutes long, in two YouTube postings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdwi852oTbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCpGwSgP2fk
W4AAB

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »

T-Bone Wolk was Hall and Oates' bass player. I used to watch him and GE Smith, Hall and Oates' lead guitarist when they were part of the Saturday Night Live band. T-Bone Burnett is one of popular music's best producers. Love the old tube gear, period!!
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 01:03:53 AM »

Steve HX - after listening to the TR/AK Me and My Guitar link, went on to a really fine Tony Rice Unit "Nine Pound Hammer" video.  Comment on it mentioned the TR Unit's Rob Ickes as the finest dobro player around.  Relative of your'n?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwNDJleP4bU&feature=related

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 01:22:22 PM »

Steve HX - after listening to the TR/AK Me and My Guitar link, went on to a really fine Tony Rice Unit "Nine Pound Hammer" video.  Comment on it mentioned the TR Unit's Rob Ickes as the finest dobro player around.  Relative of your'n?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwNDJleP4bU&feature=related
Prolly not..............Steve always tells me that there are a lot Ickes around.

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 03:45:13 PM »

He's not a close relative. I don't ever recall him playing with TR (usually Jerry Douglas or Fred Travers) but there are so mamy incarnations of groups, it's hard to keep track.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015