The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:58:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car Country Club (spelled correctly this time)  (Read 5096 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: June 17, 2011, 09:14:37 AM »

My wife is a real car nut. She even does all her own mechanical work on her classics.  Banker during the day and auto mechanic in her spare time.  Knowing this, a friend sent me this link aimed at those that take their car's seriously.  Of coarse I thought about this same thing  but for Boat Anchors!  Can you imagine just walking from Condo to Condo looking at peoples vintage rigs.

Joe, W3GMS       

http://www.kare11.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=958137284001

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 11:12:51 AM »

A buddy just finished a beautiful '75 vet. I asked him to drop by and give my son a ride.
Made his day yesterday when they drove around town for an hour. Snapped a couple of pictures. Best one was him in the driver's seat flipping me off (at my request).
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 11:51:17 AM »

Hi Frank,

My dream Vette is a 1965 convertible with the optional hard top.  Martha found a 67 the other day and was threatening to buy it for me, but I told her it was way to much money to spend for a gift!  Then I said, you know I really want a 65 Wink!

I am sure your friend is having a good time with his 75.  I just prefer the older ones.

Joe, W3GMS 

WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 12:21:08 PM »

I had a chance to buy a '65 for $3K once. It had a big hole in the hood. Must have had a bug catcher. It was about 1983.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 01:08:55 PM »

Well even with the hole in the hood, 3K would have been a steal based on what they are selling for these days.  I want a driver and really don't care about all the numbers matching.  Just one that looks good, and runs well. 
It appears you can always get your money out of them. 
Joe, W3GMS

WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 04:09:50 PM »

also passed on a clean '72 for $7K the same year
Yea, that 65 would have been sweet looking back on it.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 10:32:38 PM »

Joe, thought of you and Martha yesterday evening. Am up in New England and passed by one of those local car club shows next to an auto parts dealer, decided to stop. Saw a beautiful blue '65 Pontiac Grand Prix  sitting there, for sale. A pretty big boat for a 2 dr, but what sleek, sexy lines. Turns out it was Motor Trend's Car of the Year. This one 'only' had the 389  vs the 421 Tri Power, and lacked the Kelsey Hayes 8 lugs, but what an eye catcher. And it purred like a [large] kitten. Had to remind myself that I'm supposed to be getting rid of stuff.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 11:37:37 PM »

I had a chance to buy a '65 for $3K once. It had a big hole in the hood. Must have had a bug catcher. It was about 1983.

Back in 1968, I was looking for my first car. At Capitol Motors in Hartford (Frank, remember that dive?)  there was a used but mint 1966 fastback maroon Corvette. It was polished to a high luster in the showroom. I was so disappointed when the salesman told me it was $2800. Too much for my budget.. Grin

I ended up buying a '64 Tripower GTO from them. Turns out the thing was beat and I had to rebuild the motor. The body had more Bondo plastic than Cher. What a dummy I was.

Two years later I was offfered a 1958 Corvette (beautiful car) for $1800.  Didn't have the bread.  About the same time a tricked out maroon '66 Chevelle SS396 came along for about $3K. Still no $.

Then there was this marina blue '67 GTO hardtop with a 421, headers, 4.33 gears - what a showpiece.  Didn't have the bread.

In hindsight, it would have been better than real estate to keep buying up those special cars back then.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 10:02:07 AM »

I dont have the time to list the cars Ive had that are high end collectibles today. Luckily Ive held on to a few that are in storage as my 401K.

A couple I really miss are a 34 Ford roadster,  64 GTO convertible  with trips and 4spd, 68 Camaro SS 350 convertible (wifes car), 70 Chevelle SS-454 LS6 HT. The last 3 were bought new.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 10:31:08 AM »

Joe, thought of you and Martha yesterday evening. Am up in New England and passed by one of those local car club shows next to an auto parts dealer, decided to stop. Saw a beautiful blue '65 Pontiac Grand Prix  sitting there, for sale. A pretty big boat for a 2 dr, but what sleek, sexy lines. Turns out it was Motor Trend's Car of the Year. This one 'only' had the 389  vs the 421 Tri Power, and lacked the Kelsey Hayes 8 lugs, but what an eye catcher. And it purred like a [large] kitten. Had to remind myself that I'm supposed to be getting rid of stuff.  Wink

Todd,

Well those car shows can be dangerous!  A lot of time you see some real nice ones for sale.  At least when acquiring old rig's, they take a lot less space than acquiring cars!  We have about 1600 sq feet of nice garage space and with Martha interest in car's, it just not enough space.  She is looking at stacker lifts so we can put car's on top of car's.  All of our garage space has 12' ceilings so we have the vertical height. 

Tom,

Yep if we only had the money to buy some of those toys back when we saw them.  I did manage to buy a real nice 69 Camaro RS when I was in my early 20's.  What I could afford when I was 16 was a 62 Dodge Lancer with a 225 slant 6.  I paid 75 bucks for it and spent a lot of money on bondo!  I was totally amazed at what a restored 62 Lancer sold for recently.

Joe, W3GMS   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015