The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:56:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rebuilding my link coupled tuner  (Read 6931 times)
NR5P

« on: July 08, 2011, 07:35:59 PM »

I've been very happy with my link coupled tuner but I'm redoing the coil to make it look nicer and more professional now that I know I like this design.  I had it would on a 4" coil and the new coil is 5" diameter.  I didn't have a series capacitor on the last tuner and was able to get 2:1swr no problem just adjusting taps and tuning tank capacitor.  With the 5" coil it may be a little harder and it would probably be easier to get a perfect match with a series capacitor but I'd rather use a swinging link unless there less efficiency.  Also I noticed most just move link in and out of the coil but I've seen some that rotate the primary coil inside of the secondary, does this do the same thing? 

One more question.  I got some 1.2 volt bulbs from radio shack that I was using in the ladder line (jumped across about 1.5 to 2 feet of ladder line).  Is this an ok way of checking balance?  I did run dc through them before installing to make sure they show the same brilliance with the same current to make sure they were "matched" and they were the same.  They are also fun to watch while I modulate Grin
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 10:31:05 PM »

If the series cap is considered for the input link, its purpose is to cancel the inductive reactance in the link. If you can't reduce the SWR to less than 2:1 you probably need a somewhat larger cap. I've always used a variable series cap in the link line, and have always been able to get a 1:1 match with the proper placement of the take-off point on the main inductor into the open-wire feed line.

Walt

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 10:43:03 PM »

I didn't have a series capacitor on the last tuner and was able to get 2:1swr no problem just adjusting taps and tuning tank capacitor.  With the 5" coil it may be a little harder and it would probably be easier to get a perfect match with a series capacitor but I'd rather use a swinging link unless there less efficiency.  Also I noticed most just move link in and out of the coil but I've seen some that rotate the primary coil inside of the secondary, does this do the same thing?

Moving the link in and out of the coil does the same thing as rotating the link. With the variable link, you wouldn't need the series capacitor IF you can get a perfect match with the link partially in (or out of) the coil. If you cannot get a match using the link without a series capacitor, try varying the number of turns of the link (use a temporary experimental set-up) until you find the magic number of turns with the link about two thirds inserted or rotated towards maximum from minimum.  Then make up a permanent variable link with that number of turns.

I have always considered a variable link AND series capacitor redundant, an unnecessary complication. I have used the series capacitor only when the coil had a fixed link.

One more question.  I got some 1.2 volt bulbs from radio shack that I was using in the ladder line (jumped across about 1.5 to 2 feet of ladder line).  Is this an ok way of checking balance?  I did run dc through them before installing to make sure they show the same brilliance with the same current to make sure they were "matched" and they were the same.  They are also fun to watch while I modulate Grin

It works. Even more sensitive are the miniature Xmas tree lamps that run off very low current at very low voltage, designed to run in a series string off 110v line voltage. In any case, adjust the length of the jumper across the line till the lamps give a dull orange glow. If you run them at full brilliance, they are less sensitive to small variations. With the advent of LED xmas tree lights, the incandescent lamps may be getting harder to find.

Another precaution, whether using lamps or an rf ammeter: measuring balance at only one point in the line may give a false indication of balance, since the standing waves on the two conductors of the OWL may not be exactly the same. If possible, insert the current indicator at a second point along the line, about 1/8λ away, and compare readings. If the line still shows good balance, you can be sure that it really is balanced.

If it shows some unbalance, it isn't the end of the world.  If the transmitter can still be loaded up to full power, some unbalance isn't going to hurt anything much, although you may not be getting 100% of the rf into the antenna and the feed line may be radiating a little.

For best balance in the feed line, DO NOT ground any part of the main coil or split stator capacitor in a balanced link coupled tuner, such as the midtap of the coil or the frame of the split capacitor.  Let the coil and capacitor float free, and make sure the link floats free from the main coil.  

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
aa5wg

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 07:48:23 AM »

Hello to all:
I have seen in different books the series capacitor placed ahead of the link coil and then others placed the series capacitor after the link coil.  Is there an advantage or disadvantage to either?
Thank you.
Chuck
NR5P

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 09:10:10 AM »

Most bands would always get me a perfect every once in a while I would run into a situation with a different antenna that would be a little off.  If I played around more I might have gotten it.  I may not even need a swinging link I was just thinking since my coil is bigger now with less tap points in a straight line(if that makes since) I may not be able to get close enough without having to circle the coil to find the right point and may need a series cap or swinging link to fine tune.  I have a vacuum variable but quickly found out when I built this thing it was unecessary.  I don't have to adjust it much when I change bands.  I just lable the tap points and fine tuner cap which has a turns counter. 

On series cap if you use it I think it only matters which side it is on if you want one side grounded. 
NR5P

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 09:54:50 AM »

also is there any efficiency loss with the swinging link if it's about 2/3 inserted or does it not really make a difference?  And if I build a swinging link rotation style I would want to get my primary link close with the link between verticle and horizontal right?  I think that would be like having it 2/3 out. 
W0BTU

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 11:27:13 AM »

For best balance in the feed line, DO NOT ground any part of the main coil or split stator capacitor in a balanced link coupled tuner, such as the midtap of the coil or the frame of the split capacitor.  Let the coil and capacitor float free, and make sure the link floats free from the main coil.  

I wonder why Technical Materiel grounded the midpoint of the coil in their balanced tuner?
http://www.virhistory.com/tmc/tmc_pages/tmc_manuals/manuals_db/tac/tm_tac_10-4-63.pdf

Like I mentioned in a previous post, all ARRL publications show the midpoints ungrounded, either of the coil or split-stator capacitor; Editors and Engineers (Bill Orr's Radio Handbook) shows them grounded.

Just curious. :-)

73 Mike 
www.w0btu.com
NR5P

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 12:55:02 PM »

I had some rf problems on 40 meters with mine.  Part of the reason I'm rebuilding it is because I had the coil mounted verticle and on pvc, my wires from the coax going to radio were long and running all the way around the coil to the center.  I think this may have been part of my problem.  Also wasn't as close to the capacitor as I wanted and not parellel with it, I think that having everything mechanically balanced and shorter leads may make a difference.  I to have noticed sometimes the midpoint is grounded and have had some people tell me that it would help rf problems (don't know why) but a lot of people don't have any problems and don't ground.  I remember when I first got into radio theory (about 15yrs old) and was reading some older books I thought that I would build a tuner like this then reading arrl handbooks I started seeing the other designs and using baluns and didn't even think of building this type of tuner anymore...until I got on this site and realize the design is still used and is very efficient
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 01:55:33 PM »

Grounding the tuner would be counterproductive, even though many schematics show the mid tap of the coil or the frame of the split stator capacitor grounded. Worse still, you occasionally even see both the coil and capacitor grounded.

You have rf current flowing from the source into two conductors, the transmission line feeders.  The current in the two feeders should be close to equal in amplitude but opposite in polarity, since it has nowhere "else" to go from the rf source. You don't want any of the rf current to flow from the source to a third conductor, a (probably lossy) ground connection. Since the current in the ground lead would necessarily be of one polarity or the other, it would inevitably subtract from one feeder and add to the other, thus unbalancing the currents in the feeders, and the ground lead - feeder combination would act like a grounded vertical (aka Marconi) antenna. OTOH, if everything in the system is already precisely balanced, there would be zero current in the ground lead anyway, so it would serve no purpose. Common-mode current existing in supposedly balanced feeders is sometimes referred to as antenna current for this reason.

The ungrounded tuner acts somewhat like a choke balun, by decoupling and isolating the antenna + feedline from ground. Grounding either the coil or capacitor in the tuner would be like shorting out the choke balun used with a coax-fed dipole.

This is also why coupling the transmitter to the tuner via a separate floating link is better than merely tapping across a few turns of the main coil near the mid point. However, tapping the coil is OK if the transmitter itself is link coupled and the link is floating free, ungrounded.

If the floating link coupled tuner shows up putting more current into one feeder than the other, the solution is to find the unbalance in the antenna system and fix the problem,  not try to brute-force balance the feeder currents with a ground lead.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 01:39:18 PM »

Grounding the coil center point puts the antenna at DC ground. it might be better for sinking off static charges.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 02:23:47 PM »

If that's a problem, use an RF choke, the kind you would use in an RF final. Connect the choke to the coil at an RF cold spot, so that the choke has to handle minimal RF voltage.  It will drain off the static charge build-up, but still offer enough reactance at the operating frequency to prevent the antenna/feedline from working like a Marconi antenna against ground.

- - -
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015