The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:44:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson Viking Ranger II--Cabinet Color Matching  (Read 4620 times)
David-SWL
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:29:45 AM »

With the internal restoration and recapping complete I am now considering options for "refreshing" the wrinkle finished cabinet.  I have successfully recoated wrinkle finishes that werein good shape, with similar colors by doing light oversprays with "rattle-cans",, but the Ranger II color is a tough one to match. Looking at the underside which has not experienced wear and fading, the color is an odd shade.  So for those of you who have already been here, what advice would you give.  And yes, I am going to "reclaim" my license which I let lapse in the '70's as part of my retirement plan!!!

Many thanks,
David
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:46:36 AM »

David,
I have had good luck with wrinkle finishes that are not in to bad of shape by going over them with thinned paint of the same color.  I would take it to a paint store and get a scan of the original color and then get some Satin or possible even Flat paint and thin it way down.  Then simply use a brush and it will nicely fill re-coat over the original wrinkle finish without filling it in.  In the past I have always used oil base paints, but I can't see why water base paint would not work.  If the wrinkle paint is badly chipped then this will not work. 

Congratulations on your retirement and getting back into Ham Radio!

Good Luck.
Joe     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KC4VWU

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 01:10:19 PM »

Joe made a good point there. I had never thought about adding a little extra thinner. From spraying over a few things myself, what I have found is the issue of maybe a little too much gloss. So instead of the wrinkle having that dispersed kind of sheen, it has more of an even look, although you can still see the wrinkle finish. Maybe this can be avoided by adding a very small amount of flattening agent to get more of a satin type finish.

Another good trick is if you have scratches or bald spots in the wrinkle, make sure the surrounding areas are still well adhered and brush on or dab 2-3 applications of Krylon or PlastiKote wrinkle paint with a piece cut from one of those sponge type trim brushes. Just spray a little onto a paper plate and dab it on. Use a heat gun to carefully bring out the wrinkle.

73, Phil   
wb6kwt
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 03:58:35 PM »

Check out this file on Glen Zook's site.

http://k9sth.com/uploads/Boat_Anchor_Paints.pdf

Bob
wb6kwt
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 04:48:33 PM »

Check out this file on Glen Zook's site.

http://k9sth.com/uploads/Boat_Anchor_Paints.pdf

Bob
wb6kwt

Glen site is a very good one providing your going to strip and start over on a cabinet.

In David's case, I am not sure if his was bad enough to do that.  Computer scanning works well along with thinning the paint down if the basic wrinkle is still in relatively good shape.   

Joe made a good point there. I had never thought about adding a little extra thinner. From spraying over a few things myself, what I have found is the issue of maybe a little too much gloss. So instead of the wrinkle having that dispersed kind of sheen, it has more of an even look, although you can still see the wrinkle finish. Maybe this can be avoided by adding a very small amount of flattening agent to get more of a satin type finish.

Another good trick is if you have scratches or bald spots in the wrinkle, make sure the surrounding areas are still well adhered and brush on or dab 2-3 applications of Krylon or PlastiKote wrinkle paint with a piece cut from one of those sponge type trim brushes. Just spray a little onto a paper plate and dab it on. Use a heat gun to carefully bring out the wrinkle.

73, Phil   

Phil,

The sheen is the tough part to get right!  If you do the entire cabinet its not so bad but if you do touch up work, even with the correct color, if the sheen is not correct you will really notice the fix up. 

If the cabinet is really bad you really just have no choice but to strip it and start with a good primer and work it up to the final finish.  I plan to invest in a good powder coating system and oven.  I have seen some excellent results with Power Coating and its a tough finish in the end. 

Joe, W3GMS   

Joe, W3GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
kg8lb
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 06:45:51 PM »

The Ranger is a semi transparent red over an opaque brown base. This is why most amateur re-paint attempts

The original finish is there only once.  Preservation often trumps "restoration".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015