The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:55:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Super 8" Movie  (Read 3019 times)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« on: June 22, 2011, 10:01:31 PM »

I saw the movie "Super 8" yesterday in Sandusky Ohio while on vacation.  In the movie, the local deputy sheriff starts to listen in on USAF HF communications.  The year is 1979 as I recall.

What he was using for a receiver (A.F. HF voice is USB mode) is a Heathkit Seneca - a VHF transmitter in real life.

Also in a residential neighborhood scene there appears to be a tower and beam in the background.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W1TAV
Contributing

The Glow of Wood and Radios

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 10:19:21 PM »

Indeed.. I just saw it the other night and thought about posting the Heathkit mix-up here too..  Good movie.. Sort of ET meets the Goonies..   Being a car guy, I couldn't help but notice the overwhelming number for Buick's used in the film. While there was a was a good spread of period correct cars, (and only one mistake that I saw with a newer International truck) they must have enlisted a local Buick club..

Hope you sat though the credits and saw "The Movie"...

Steve

Steve - W1TAV
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:11:38 AM »

Yes we saw the home movie at the end.

For the rest of you, some young guys are making a home movie throughout the film, and it's only while the credits are playing at the end that their completed super 8 film is seen, as an inset on the left side of the screen.

So for those who like to jump up and leave as soon as the credits start - DON'T.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
WD8KDG

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 10:18:23 AM »

Filmed in my home town, Weirton WV.

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 03:38:01 AM »

Fun movie... love Spielberg!

AMI#1684
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015