The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 03:58:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maynard Hill of model RC plane fame has died  (Read 1518 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: June 13, 2011, 03:19:42 PM »

I thought some of the AMfone grew that have an interest in RC Planes may be interested in reading this obit.  What an accomplished individual is all that I can say. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/model-airplane-history-maker-maynard-hill-dies-at-the-age-of-85/2011/06/08/AGcnyQNH_story.html

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 05:04:33 PM »

Truely and amazing event.  More amazing that it's not known in the mainstream circles of his feat.

It's a little bit ironic that this subject came up.  I was thinking the other night about raising my dipole. Initially I tied a string to a rock and tossed the rock up as high as I could into the branches of the trees. I was able to muster 40 feet or so with the armstrong method.  Many use compressed air launchers to get their ants up. So I thought about getting the ant higher using the typical launcher but have many trees around but I knew I was doomed to tangled lines and just plain trouble. I had enough trouble with manually feeding line through branches when tossing a rock.  

So I thought why not enlist my younger brother who is an RC enthusiast and flies model helo's to lift and drop suspension lines at the highest points on my lot.  Seems like a plausible and more calculated method than just winging a projectile.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015