The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:21:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marty on the Mountain - Book  (Read 5948 times)
W1TAV
Contributing

The Glow of Wood and Radios

« on: May 17, 2011, 03:35:44 PM »

While at camp up in Maine this last weekend, I read a Great Little book that I think would be of interest to any of the Aviation, Weather, BA, Radio & Broadcast enthusiasts that seem to gravitate to AMFONE  Wink ..   Marty Engstrom (N1ARY) started working at WMTW-TV 8 on top of Mt Washington in 1964 as a Broadcast Engineer and signed off on the last transmission 38 years later.  It's a great read, most folks  are likely to relate to (or know) some of his co-workers. It's his experience of 38 years working 1 week shifts on what is known as the mountain with the worlds worst weather.  He lived through 3 transmitter upgrades and a very changeling new tower installation, not to mention Generator upgrades and catastrophes..  Steve W1TAV

https://www.mountwashington.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=36

* marty on the mountain.jpg (59.49 KB, 400x525 - viewed 334 times.)

Steve - W1TAV
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:20:28 PM »

Didn't that whole transmitter plant catch on fire one year up there?

Looks like a cool book!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:42:41 PM »

Hi Steve and John..wow does that bring back memories..on ch 8 the regular forecaster would say "time to go up to the top of the mountain and get Martys forecast"...after Marty was done he would flash the biggest "toothy" grin ever!..he was "king nerd" b/4 that all was the thing!..a treat to look forward to
            I did actually meet one of his co-workers..a fella named Don who had a conditional license living in Cape Elizabeth Me..he told me the whole "Marty the Geek" thing was a put-on by Marty himself..who knows??..but I did acquire a Clegg 99er from him and that was around 1980..
             In all honesty Martys simple forecasts were probably 20 times more accurate than the current crop of "guessers"..I mean after all being able to look out over 5 states from up there is one big advantage
                                   Tanks fer the memories Steve!            73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
n1ipa
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 05:35:03 PM »

Well Gentlemen,
If you go to the different events in Maine, or if your able to listen to a few of the 2 Meter Radio nets in the state of Maine via the 146.88 linked radio system you will hear Marty.
He is a regular on a few of the nets.

He is a very interesting gentleman to talk to and even listen to also. 

I don't know how much work he may do on HF at all, but he does get on the radio. 
Also I don't think he was putting on any kind of show, if you meet him face to face and chatted with him you would see why.

Jim
W1TAV
Contributing

The Glow of Wood and Radios

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 07:59:36 PM »

Here is a link to his last Broadcast from the rock pile...  K1RAC (AKA Jackson Bob) a notorious PW AM'er up here in the Northeast relayed some more interesting stories regarding Marty.  I will be keeping an ear out for him on the Streaked Mountain repeater when in Maine.. Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNATQANryFc

Steve - W1TAV
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 07:05:19 AM »

I love a book like this, so I ordered a "VERY GOOD" used copy from some amazon associate.  It was less than 5 bucks before shipping.  I recieved it in my mailbox yesterday (Saturday) and lo' and behold!  It's just like brand new except it's SIGNED by Marty on the title page.

To Dane Cook

Martin Engstrom, Sept 18, 2004

I can't help but wonder if that's the comedian Dane Cook from Boston.  Anyway, I haven't started to read it but I look forward to reading it this week during my time off from work.  Being from the South I've never seen Marty on TV or even heard of him, but what the heck, I'll come to know him through his book.

Thanks for the heads up on this book Steve!

John KX5JT

AMI#1684
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 06:05:08 PM »

Marty Engstrom (N1ARY) started working at WMTW-TV 8 on top of Mt Washington in 1964 as a Broadcast Engineer and signed off on the last transmission 38 years later.
Man, did that bring back memories.  In the '60s I was living in Montreal and we got WMTW-TV 8 on our cable system.  It was the ABC affiliate.  Back then there were only 5 or 6 channels including what came in on cable.

We used to get a kick out of Marty's heavy "down East" accent and that little grin he used to toss our way at the end of his weather reports.

I remember being at Hosstraders in 1978 or 79 and spotted that face walking through the flea market.  I went over to him and said hello.  He told me he was N1ARY then flashed that fabulous grin at me in person.

I'll never forget that moment.

Hope to see Marty at Deerfield one of these days soon.

MrMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
KB1IAW

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 07:15:48 AM »

I love a book like this, so I ordered a "VERY GOOD" used copy from some amazon associate.  It was less than 5 bucks before shipping.  I recieved it in my mailbox yesterday (Saturday) and lo' and behold!

I did the same, placed an order Thursday evening and it came with the mail Saturday morning. It's a fun read. Thanks for the recommendation, Steve!
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 08:59:05 PM »

I finished the book this morning.  Even though I never heard of Martin and never watched channel 8, this book was a great read.  I caught myself grinning ear to ear for most of the book, right to the last sentence.

Since I don't think my sons would be into it that much (I often pass books down to them), I'll offer it up here for 10 bucks shipped (to the lower 48 anyway).  PM me if interested.

John KX5JT

AMI#1684
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 12:06:50 PM »

Didn't that whole transmitter plant catch on fire one year up there?

I think it was the generator building/power house, Johnny. Made a helluva mess and had folks scrambling to get up there in the midst of winter. That wasn't too many years ago.

Even a few years ago Marty was doing the weekend sign off if I'm remembering correctly. He'd say his piece, then the last second before the camrea flicked off, he'd flash that huge, toothy, ear-to-ear grin. He had it timed perfectly. Always made me laugh.

WMTW TV channel 8, Poland Springs, Maine....

Looks like a good read. Would really enjoy meeting Marty sometime. Maybe we can get him to speak at NEAR-Fest.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015