The AM Forum
May 31, 2024, 03:17:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back on the air!  (Read 1714 times)
KC2TAU

« on: June 08, 2011, 01:26:01 PM »

Dear me,

I finally just finished up completely swapping out the band switch assembly in a Ranger I. If there are a few suggestions I can lend towards those who might find themselves facing a similar situation they would be:

1) Patience
2) Small hands
3) Patience
4) Patie...wait,I already said that.

I'm sure the band switch assembly was easy to install when you were first building the rig but when everything else is installed around it and you're trying to wedge it in there it is a proper trial. The screws go in places where there are already components and so some serious juggling with your hands and small tweezer pliers is necessary. Be sure you're competent at holding onto a nut with said pliers and then using those pliers to thread it onto the screw in question when the space you're working in is too tight for your fingers.

You can also avoid this entirely by not snapping the phenolic shaft in the assembly. Even so,though,phenolic? Really Johnson? Really? Perhaps there is a reason,though.

Either way it is nice to be back on the air so hopefully I will be able to say hello to all of you. I'll be putting up an 80 meter dipole very soon,getting rid of the random wire(it'll make a nice second mini beverage)and hopefully getting rid of my RFI problems once and for all.

- Mike
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 01:40:39 PM »

Congrats Mike on getting through the band switch install in your Ranger.  Some projects are not for the timid! 

I have an SX-28 to restore and I have been putting it off for years because I know its a big job.  But if I don't start the project it will never get done so I need to deal with it soon. 

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KC2TAU

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 04:43:16 PM »

I've heard about SX-28's being a bear but they're so great to look at,aren't they?

Something that always works for me is to work on the radio until you become bored,start to lose inspiration or grow tired. This will help prevent mistakes and also help you from becoming exasperated with the whole thing. Perhaps it would be a good idea to concentrate on one part of the radio at a time and make a check list of sorts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015