The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:11:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stealing railroad tracks for the metal  (Read 23077 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2011, 06:19:11 AM »

spam egg sausage and spam?
Hey I'll make that one morning for breakfast!!!!!!!!!!

Fred KC4MOP
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2011, 08:41:58 PM »

" ... he was launched 15 feet in the air, hit the ground, then ran 40 yards or so to the corner of the fence. He climbed 10 feet and fell back to the ground, still on fire. "

I always like stories around the campfire.

klc

What? Me worry?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 05:13:58 AM »

I'll stick to good, old American food...Spam fried with eggs...although Taylor Ham (pork roll, a New Jersey specialty) is preferable to the Spam. Taylor Ham with eggs and cheese on a hard roll (kaiser roll), washed down with a cup of strong coffee...that is the ultimate Jersey breakfast.

Barf!

I'll just take my usual. Whole grain cereal or pastry, or toast with jam or peanut butter (but not both mixed together-yuck), o.j., small serving of yogurt, and strong coffee with no milk or sugar.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
John K5PRO

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 07:06:58 PM »

We've had a problem in NM with Toyota catalytic converters, for the platinum catalysts. A 'good' thief could crawl under a Tacoma or Four Runner along the street, and have the thing cut off in less than 10 minutes with a portable metal saw. After numerous incidences, the law caught up with several of the thieves who are now locked up.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 09:13:14 AM »

Hey John- Did the fire over there affect you? Did you need to evacuate? You OK?
My bro-in-law works for the lab and lives in town.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 01:04:01 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE
K2PG

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 02:52:05 PM »

Barf!

I'll just take my usual. Whole grain cereal or pastry, or toast with jam or peanut butter (but not both mixed together-yuck), o.j., small serving of yogurt, and strong coffee with no milk or sugar.

What, no ham, sausage and gravy, eggs, and grits with red eye gravy? The gang down there in 4-land will think you're either a closet Yankee...or some kind of Communist! Wink I can bust my budget just eating a good Southern breakfast at the local Waffle House...yes, we have those in Pennsylvania now.

Praise the Lard!
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 07:00:41 PM »

You know they've already come up with technology to make the railroad tracks invisible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCRDWjavBrM&feature=player_detailpage#t=39s

--- Post No Bills ---
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »

Barf!

What, no ham, sausage and gravy, eggs, and grits with red eye gravy? The gang down there in 4-land will think you're either a closet Yankee...or some kind of Communist! Wink I can bust my budget just eating a good Southern breakfast at the local Waffle House...yes, we have those in Pennsylvania now.

Praise the Lard!

Oh, man! I recently made it from 195 to 180 lbs. Dr. was impressed...
I LOVE that artery-clogging stuff! Many years ago when I lived in Chicago I was working on the south side and ate at a local soul-southern food restaurant with the local factory workers.

Man, that's some good stuff!

Now out West here, I have to put up with the most incredible biscuits, scabled eggs and sausage gravy at a nearby truck stop on I-25.

Look at their breakfast menu and get destroyed, Phil.

(My wife is a granolahead so we don't go there very often. We do oatmeal, yogurt and/or grits for breakfast )

http://johnsonscorner.com/Pages/LunchMenu.php

i
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2011, 10:22:48 PM »

whats a grit???

klc

What? Me worry?
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2011, 04:08:21 PM »

Grit is a newspaper. Make big money, sell Grit.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2011, 05:40:16 PM »

I'm impressed. Good show. Dropping 15 isn't easy. Your body will thank you even if your taste buds don't.  Cheesy

Oh, man! I recently made it from 195 to 180 lbs. Dr. was impressed...
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2011, 05:46:35 PM »

Grits for eating is a thick off-white paste of ground corn, served hot and usually with eggs & meat.

Very popular at Cracker Barrel restaurants.

I am not a fan of grits, regardless of consistency. Tongue

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2011, 05:53:16 PM »

Paste? Maybe at Cracker Barrel. Good grits aren't anything like paste. But it is hard to get good grits at many restaurants. They often are too runny or too thick (like paste). Be like Goldielocks and hold out for the ones that are “just right!”
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2011, 06:32:45 PM »

My wife lived in Florida Keys and knows good "Grunts and Grits". They're not supposed to be pasty or runny like Steve says.

Me, I like mine with a dab of butter and maple syrup.

Terrific with scabled eggs.

You know...A traditional American breakfast used to be cold cereal, maybe toast..Dinner was the big meal..Then in the 1930s, Hormel came into the act with advertisements promoting bacon, ham, sausage and eggs for a manly breakfast. Regrettably, we don't work with horses in the fields or in mines with pick axes any more..But we do have chlorestorol meds...
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2011, 06:35:58 PM »

Grit is a newspaper. Make big money, sell Grit.

Yep, almost every comic book had a small ad in the back about making BIG $$ selling Grit. The Greatest Family Newspaper!

* Earn BIG $$ selling Grit!.jpg (11.45 KB, 150x149 - viewed 376 times.)

* Hey, get your Grit!.jpg (11.67 KB, 125x177 - viewed 364 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2011, 07:31:58 PM »

Paste? Maybe at Cracker Barrel. Good grits aren't anything like paste. But it is hard to get good grits at many restaurants. They often are too runny or too thick (like paste). Be like Goldielocks and hold out for the ones that are “just right!”

What's hard to find is cornbread done right.   Especially in the North.  Yankees think cornbread is this sweet cake.   Tongue  Yech!!

Real Southern cornbread is made with good mill ground cornmeal, whole buttermilk (almost impossible to find now), egg, a bit of salt and baking soda.  THERE IS NO SUGAR IN IT AT ALL.     Now, the key thing:  You have to have a cast iron skillet that is seasoned (that's a whole topic on its own) and you put veg. oil in it, just enough to make a layer of oil in the bottom about the thickness of a pencil lead.  Roll the oil around the skillet and put it in the oven at about 350 400 degrees and leave it there for at least 15 minutes.  I used to leave it in while I was mixing the batter.   When you done with the batter, you haul out the skillet.  You need a big oven mitt it is hot as hell and you roll the oil around it again and dump that batter in it kabam it will sizzle and you put the whole thing back in and let it bake.  Been over 20 years since I baked any so I forget how long--20 minutes maybe 30 IIRC, but when it is done, it will be crispy around the skillet and the whole thing will fall out of the skillet onto a plate and you slice it and put a lot of butter on it and with black coffee you are in heaven.  but there ain't no @#$%^ sugar in it!  (feel like I'm back in Mississippi now).   If it weren't so hot out, I'd think about getting out my old skillet and getting back into it again.   Oh yeah, this is where most yankees screw up:  when you done, you just wipe the skillet with a paper towel and put it away.    Northerners all say, eeeew, it is dirty.   What you gonna use it for, Jello?   Nothing gonna survive in there if all you ever do is heat it to 400 degrees.  they go at it with steel wool and soap.   Huh  Then they wonder, "what's this seasoning you talking about?"

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
kg8lb
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2011, 09:04:38 PM »

Our folks are Yankees from the Upper Penninsula , MI (But my father is from Commerce Georgia) . We never put sugar in cornbread and the buttermilk was made at home.  Now, if I could just go down south and get tea that isn't already polluted with sugar .....

Still, no patents on the "right way" to make any dish, how boring if there were. Wink
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2011, 09:28:24 PM »

My mother never cleaned this way and she's from the North1. Gotta watch those generalizations, except for the fact that all slopbuckets are evil.  Tongue

Nothing gonna survive in there if all you ever do is heat it to 400 degrees.  they go at it with steel wool and soap.     Then they wonder, "what's this seasoning you talking about?
"

1 - A generalization in and of itself.
WQ9E

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2011, 10:51:46 PM »

Rob,

You missed one thing Smiley  Forget the vegetable oil, it has to be bacon grease.   My favorite southern cookbook makes it clear that you reserve one cast iron pan for cornbread and never use it for anything else.

My grandmother was from the hills of TN and was an incredible cook.  Several years ago I gave up trying to even come close to her ability.  One of my favorite childhood memories was the smell of Christmas candy.  One spare bedroom in her house was reserved for all of the Christmas candy/cookie storage and the combined aroma from that room was absolutely incredible.   One of my elementary school teachers later told me that teachers who had one of the Singley kids in class could trade part of the box of candy they received for just about anything any of the other teachers got for Christmas.

Rodger WQ9E
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2011, 06:56:20 AM »

Of course BACON GREASE what was I thinking  Shocked  mama would keep a jar of it under the sink.  She used it in pie crust.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2011, 09:06:07 AM »

Of course BACON GREASE what was I thinking  Shocked  mama would keep a jar of it under the sink.  She used it in pie crust.

the hell with the pie crust!! Use lard for pie crust!  I want some good ol' southern fried chicken cooked in a cast iron skillet and fried in bacon grease! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

YUM...................YUM..................... Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2011, 09:13:22 AM »

GRITS!!

Yesterday's (or this morning's) left over grits fried up into little cakes (like potato cakes) and doused in syrup! ! !  Wink  Cheesy  Cheesy

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
John K5PRO

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2011, 06:01:24 PM »

Bill
I live in the Rio Grande valley so home was spared. The fire is huge, like 130,000 acres last count. Its cleared Los Alamos now, and burning slowing to the north. The gov't threw everything at it, and the fire complied, a little. Yesterday we went back to work after 6 days of paid time off plus holiday. A big flare up occurred on the mountain above, so I was wondering... But its back under control. Today its just smoky and burns my eyes, and the wind is whipping it up again.

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2011, 09:34:35 PM »

That fire there is something else.

Well, If you ever have to evacuate family in the future, you're welcome here a few hours drive north.

We've had our own share of wildfires in the past, I know how it goes. It sucks.

This early summer has been mild here, with lots of rain. Perfect WX. Not out of the upper 70s here today, and afternoon rains almost every day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015