The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 06:01:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cover of the month from 1935 Radio Craft Magazine  (Read 5745 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« on: June 06, 2011, 02:31:50 PM »

Another great cover and table of contents from 1935!

Joe, W3GMS

* Radio Craft Cover-February 1935.jpg (2683.4 KB, 1666x2300 - viewed 487 times.)

* Radio Craft Table of Contents-February 1935.jpg (2001.32 KB, 1571x2252 - viewed 431 times.)

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 03:33:13 PM »

I can't wait to find out what happened to that 'picture-thingy".  Smiley

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
WB2CAU

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 04:04:49 PM »

I love the old magazine covers showing what is in store for the future already past.

And they are never accurate to what ultimately occurs.  But it's so interesting to see what they believed the future would be. 

Eric

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
kb3wbb
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 08:19:48 PM »

I not only enjoy the covers, I really enjoy reading those old radio magazines. I have just a handful and am always on the lookout for more.

Larry
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 10:28:22 PM »

Glad you guys enjoyed the cover of the month for June.  Wait until you see July's cover!

Larry,
Yes, when I go to organize them I end up reading them and don't get much organization done.  I need to build the library room since I have acquired so much printed materials over the last 45 years or so.  I think I have the space downstairs to build a 14' x 16' room just for printed material.  Put a nice couch in there along with bookshelves along the walls and it should be a comfortable place not only to do research, but just chill out with the old printed material. 

Joe, W3GMS

kb3wbb
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 08:40:53 AM »

Joe,

This past year I added a 12 x 12 library room in the basement. I was lucky enough to find two 7' high metal library cabinets with drop-down doors at a church sale. It took the wife and I almost a week to go through all my books and decide which got kept and which were getting donated. We donated 22 cartons of mysteries and military history books to a local library but kept all the genealogical and technical books along with numerous other mysteries. It's great to have one dedicated room where you can just sit, relax, and enjoy reading.

Larry
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 01:02:53 PM »

Hi Larry,

Its good to have like things together and your library sounds like just the ticket. 

For me at least, the more stuff you have the better you need to keep it organized.  What's the use of having it if you can't find it easily when you want it.  My first retirement project was to complete and move the GMS Radio Parts Building which is a 12 X 24' building. The original building had parts in zerox paper boxes and there were hundreds of them.  I had an inventory book but finding the boxes was a chore and there was no rime or reason what was in the boxes.  Tubes were mixed with other type of components and it was not good!  So when I moved the building, I was forced to empty the building prior to moving it.  That gave me the perfect opportunity to reorganize the stuff and put all like items together.  I should have bought stock in Rubber Maid, since I bought hundreds of snap on lit bins from them.  We had (7)  24 x 50 foot tarps spread out and emptied every one of the old boxes and put like items together.  Then we had the GMS "give-away fest"  and guys like Joe Cro, N3IBX had a field day!!  The parts that I wanted to keep we finally organized and stored property.  It was a big job but I never regretted doing it. 

I want to do the same thing with a library downstairs similar to what you have done.  I think it will be a nice addition to the working museum.  If folks want to do any research, they can get on the air with an OT rig and then stroll to the library to do the research. 

Joe, W3GMS             

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 10:15:54 PM »

Another great cover and table of contents from 1935!

Joe, W3GMS

Actually, the TV unit on top of the cabinet was pretty close to the mark.

I remember seeing one not too long ago from the same era that showed someone in a car using a mobile phone... The car was different, but otherwise it looked pretty much exactly like a modern driver talking on a cell phone or a 2m CB hand-held.

They always wore a wide-brim hat and had on a neck tie, even when working on a transmitter or putting up an antenna!

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 08:33:33 AM »

Agree Don, a lot of stuff was pretty close to what actually came down the technology pipe. 

As far as the dress is concerned, that seems to have happened not only within Ham Radio but society in general.  I remember when I started my career in 1973, everyone wore a shirt and tie to work.  When I retired a few years back it was business casual in the management ranks and a lot of the engineers in my department wore jeans! 

Going to a Hamfest today your never sure what your going to see, but one thing for sure, your not going to see someone in a shirt and tie unless they got lost!   At the least, some Hams should invest in a good belt or suspenders to keep there paints from sagging  Smiley

Joe, W3GMS         

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 10:03:44 AM »

Don & Joe,
               Dont forget that in generations previous to ours. "clothes were the mark of the man." It used to infuriate my stepfather that I had absolutely no interest in dress clothes. But then, he used to put on a pressed white shirt and a tie to go out and cut the grass. We had so many arguments over it that I have come to absolutely despise formal dress clothes. I live in jeans and T-shirts, still to this day.

I am the company that I work for's top rated salesman. (I do bid sales and estimating) I come to work every day in jeans and some form of Harley-Davidson T-shirt! ! ! !  The old man is probably rolling over in his grave!!  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WQ9E

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 10:35:57 AM »

My grandfather would always wear a hat (and usually a tie) when leaving the house even if it were just to pick up groceries or the mail.   Several years ago I saw some home movies of the Peoria (IL) hamfest from the late 40s and all of the hams were wearing hats (not ball caps) and most had on ties.  Quite a change from what you see today and I imagine personal hygiene was better also.   

My view is salespeople need to be dressed for the customer and in many cases that does not mean a suit.  If one of our local agribusiness salespeople wore a suit into the field (and I mean field in the literal sense) he/she would immediately lose all credibility.  I have taught and consulted in sales management for the past 20 some years.  I am at odds with many in our academic department since I opposed the departmental dress code for our students that requires them to wear "corporate casual" to class.  Problem 1 is that there is not one dress style for every occasion; we should be enhancing their thought process instead of the opposite.  Problem 2 is that marketing already has somewhat of a stereotype of focusing more on the package than the contents and this just lends support to that view.  I have a "don't look, don't tell" policy since I didn't get a Ph.D. to play dress code policeman. 

I do tell the students that if any of them show up nicely dressed after a heavy snowstorm ( our campus doesn't do a great job of sidewalk clearing) I may take off "stupidity points" Smiley

Rodger WQ9E
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 11:16:08 AM »

"Corporate casual"? ? ? ? ? Rodger, does that mean that the women should wear short skirts and tight fitting sweater tops? ? ? Are "extra points" awarded for certain virtues? ?  Wink  Grin  Grin  Grin

WQ9E

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 11:40:51 AM »

"Corporate casual"? ? ? ? ? Rodger, does that mean that the women should wear short skirts and tight fitting sweater tops? ? ? Are "extra points" awarded for certain virtues? ?  Wink  Grin  Grin  Grin

I am not sure about the current version of the "code" but an early version stated that female students should not have excessive cleavage or thigh exposure.  The ONLY female I ever plan to have that discussion with is my own daughter and since she is 7 that will fortunately be a few years in the future.  Any discussion of this sort with a student is treading dangerously near sexual harassment and I am not going anywhere close to that area.  I like being a tenured full prof and I plan to remain one Smiley

Rodger WQ9E
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 11:49:38 AM »

I remember when I had my small company and would go to the Dayton Hamfest every year.  We had a booth inside and let me mention that some Ham's need to find out what a shower is!  The B.O. was just incredible.   Since I was not around in the old days, I wonder how many of those guys just plain stunk?  I bet not many, but don't know for sure.  Keeping clean is a separate bucket as compared to dressing for the occasion.  

When Martha and I go out to a good restaurant we always get dressed for the occasion.  Then again, if we go to the typical chain restaurant, we normally wear clean jeans and a top where armpit hair is not hanging out!  

Joe, W3GMS    

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 12:10:03 PM »

Chris Jackson (W2JBL) used to always say that he refused to go to hamfests because he hated to have to be around a bunch of stinky, smelly old hams.

Hmmmmmmm..................... I wonder if that is why outdoor tailgating is much more popular than indoor tailgating? ?   Grin  Grin

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 12:18:21 PM »

Rodger,
           Yea, but you can still look! A little eye candy can go a long way. If they want to show it off, I'm gonna look at it. Even my wife doesnt mind me lookin! She even points the ones that I missed out to me.

She has told others: "When stops looking, he wont be any good to me or anyone else"  

Grin  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015