The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 04:55:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dog Lovers WARNING!  (Read 3438 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: June 04, 2011, 02:07:28 AM »

If you pick up a stick ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY and play fetch with your dog, you may be in violation of US patent laws.

http://www.google.com/patents/download/6360693_Animal_toy.pdf?id=hhYJAAAAEBAJ&output=pdf&sig=ACfU3U0gWw_nfGNfEPyE5vvBtTZuQKsWyQ&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 07:06:14 AM »

Geez Don where you find this stuff, and why are you spending the time.

Go PLAY with your dog.
RUN CRAZY

* IMG_4261.JPG (957.48 KB, 4416x3312 - viewed 291 times.)
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 07:38:54 AM »

so, in other words, he holds the patent on a stick? we don't use sticks here, we try and find a roadkilled rabbit or squirrel and drag it around the yard and hide it somewhere then let the dog out to see if they can find it. wonder if anyone has the patent on that??

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 09:05:31 AM »

I think that is covered under the "flavoring" feature of the patent.....

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 12:37:05 PM »

It seems to surface on its own while the static crashes are the worst, doesn't it?  Strange... Kinda like a digital version of the old "Dead Band Quiz" that used to appear in Radio or QST back in the 30s and 40s.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 01:46:11 PM »

It seems to surface on its own while the static crashes are the worst, doesn't it?  Strange... Kinda like a digital version of the old "Dead Band Quiz" that used to appear in Radio or QST back in the 30s and 40s.

HUH?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 07:00:53 PM »

Normally under 35 USC 271 it would be illegal to make, use, etc any patented item. However, under Subset G(1) the patent does not extend to any item when it is "materially changed by subsequent process". 

So if they are manufacturing the 'dog toy' out of plastic or wood and finishing it and you are using a natural harvested product, then you should be all set.   Just don't try selling them next to the other guys product, the only side that wins in a lawsuit are the lawyers Tongue .

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 07:46:59 PM »

Normally under 35 USC 271 it would be illegal to make, use, etc any patented item. However, under Subset G(1) the patent does not extend to any item when it is "materially changed by subsequent process". 

I don't think they could stop you from fabricating anything at home for your own use.  Just don't try producing a patented item for sale or distribution to a third party. Otherwise, many, if not most, of our homebrew projects would be "illegal". I have never heard of anyone getting sued for building a homemade prototype of a patented device.

- - -
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 07:34:28 AM »

sticks for sale, buck a foot. I'll be in the yard with a bow saw and plenty of change. Come on down. "rite now"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015