The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 08:26:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone with either a SP-10 or SP-100 Hammarlund.  (Read 3872 times)
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« on: June 10, 2011, 10:24:08 PM »

Please PM me, I have a question about them. Smiley

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 10:27:53 PM »

Why PM?  If we discuss it here perhaps others can benefit.

I have a SP-100LF, what would you like to know?

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 11:03:16 PM »

And what a story that -100LF has behind it!

I've got both the SP-10 and -100. Neat radios.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 11:49:12 PM »

Ok, that is a better idea.

#1..what is the full scale of the signal meter, and is it the same in both?

#2..I read they came with RCA tubes, is that the best route or is it based (as usual) by selection irrespective of brand?

I really appreciate your replies in advance.

'36 SP-10
'37 SP-100
'39 SP-200

73DG

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 10:06:10 AM »

Do you mean FS in mA, or in the arbitrary calibration scale on the meter face?

At this point in time I wouldn't think it makes any difference what brand of tubes you put into the thing.

Congrats, those are outstanding receivers particularly for AM use.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 12:44:45 PM »

UPDATED

I'm looking for the meter value, or FS (full scale).  End scale is whatever is printed on the face.  

Reason is my SP-10 is missing the meter, and until I can find an original, I have several that look & fit OK but since it is an arbitrary scale and in a variable circuit (plus the fact that the lit doesn't offer a clue) the factory value would make it a bit easier on me.

Fortunately for me both my SP-10 and the SP-200 were never modified and only repaired over the years, and both have the original PS units per the manuals.  

They are part of an insane desire to have a pre-war 'progression collection' starting with the HI-Q, Comet Pro, SP-10, SP-100, and SP-200.  

I won the SP-100X!  A drive to Tucson and it will come home with me.

If I ever find an uber-rare SP-150 I'll know I am truly blessed (doubtful with my karma Wink).

Is there any other mode than AM? Cheesy

Indeed JN, what is the story on your 100?

73DG with many questions.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 04:36:05 AM »

Aw rats, I didn't see this til after I left my Maryland QTH so I can't measure it until I get back sometime this fall.  I suspect it's a 1 mA movement though.

I have a friend back in MN that has a SP-150 less the wooden cabinet.  Its face has woodgrain paint and IIRC doesn't have a BFO (or crystal filter).

The story on my SP-100:  I saw it at the Carroll Cty, MD hamfest one fall and made an offer that wasn't accepted.  I lamented this on the air that I shoulda just given the guy his reasonable asking amount.  The next spring, Todd KA1KAQ and Steve K4HX were at my booth at the Timonium hamfest and we were discussing it, and again I lamented that I should have bought it.  Not 30 seconds later the guy pulls up in the space next to us and proceeds to haul out the SP-100.  Needless to say my wallet was out in a flash  Grin  The power supply had been re-done somewhat with a Western Electric rectifier tube and a couple of Western Electric eletrolytics.  I sold those items on eBay for considerably more than what I paid for the receiver!

That's the only receiver that I've taken the bother to re-stuff the wax capacitors so as to preserve the underbody appearance.  I haven't completely finished it yet, it's still in the queue since I've been overseas.

W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 12:08:44 PM »

Ha!  I did virtually the same thing with an Atwater-Kent set I bought in Flagstaff, AZ a few years back...It had WE 274A rectifier in it rather than the usual 280.  Sold the tube to a gent in Japan, paid for a whole fun weekend. Wink

I may do the cap stuffing thing as they are such a rare set.  When those are finished being restored, maybe I'll move on to a Zenith Stratosphere with the figural cat statue LOL.

The other good news is I now own a SP-100X in working condition, so the collection is growing. Cheesy

73DG

WB6NVH

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 01:29:24 PM »

I got my SP-110LX about 16 years ago at the local landfill.  A friend said he had seen some ham gear at the scavenging huts.  They would sell to the public every Saturday starting at 0800.  The next Saturday I was there in line with every antique dealer in town right at 0800.  Sure enough, all in one pile was a tabletop style SP-110LX, missing the dust cover and with a homebrew power supply, a complete Heath DX-100 and a shoebox full of what turned out to be unrelated tubes, all for the princely sum of $ 10.  I got my money's worth out of all that though.  The box of tubes contained two new Genalex KT-88's in boxes, among other things. Smiley

Geoff Fors
Monterey, California
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 02:20:27 PM »

It seems good luck follows the admirers of pre-war SP's! Cheesy

73DG

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print