The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:54:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How about Pizza Saturday Evening in Dayton?  (Read 3239 times)
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« on: April 17, 2010, 04:26:52 PM »

Last year a fine group of AMers enjoyed each other's company and delicious pizza at Marion's Pazza,  3443 North Dixie Drive (937-277-6553), in Dayton Saturday evening after the Hamvention.  We convened between 6 and 7 PM and stayed until the beer kegs were empty.

Shall we all get together there this year, or is a different venue of interest to the group?

(Marion's is at the corner of N Dixie Drive and Wagner Ford Road, approximately 2 miles south of Needmore Road.)

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 04:43:54 PM »

That has been a tradition amongst the AM'ers for many years, although I don't think their pizza is anything to write home about.  They have a pretty good beer selection, and the wine is palatable, but they chill their red.

It has been best when we had a large enough group to reserve the conference room, rather than just trying to gather in one spot in the main dining hall.

Has anyone heard anything about anyone trying to organise an AM Forum at Dayton this year?  I remember it was cancelled last year due to an allegedly inadvertent screw-up by the hamfest committee.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »

No AM Forums listed for this year:
http://www.hamvention.org/forums.php

You could have an informal forum and gathering in the flea market area to protest any future AM bandwidth restrictions. Participants could also hold up signs and yell stuff to perceived contesters and DX'ers passing by.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 07:06:08 PM »

(Marion's is at the corner of N Dixie Drive and Wagner Ford Road, approximately 2 miles south of Needmore Road.)

This means nothing to me.  Distance and direction from the flea market would give me a much better idea of whether or not I can attend.  If it is say, 20 miles away I probably can't do it.

I don't drink so whatever alcohol is available is okay with me Grin.  I'll be at the hamfest on someone else's ride so my ability to make the AM dinner will be up in the air.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 08:09:56 PM »

Looks like attendance has been down in recent years.  I recall a few years ago it peaked out at about 35,000.

We had 18,877 people realize their "dream" when they attended Dayton Hamvention® 2009.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w8khk

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 08:21:23 PM »

Distance and direction from the flea market would give me a much better idea of whether or not I can attend.  If it is say, 20 miles away I probably can't do it.

Rob, the distance from Hara Arena to the Marion's is less than five miles. 

Drive on Shiloh Springs road east one mile to Rosemary / 48, turn right.

Follow Rosemary / 48 southwest about two miles to E Siebenthaler, turn left.

Take E Siebenthaler east less than one mile to N Dixie Drive, turn right.

Go a couple blocks south on N Dixie Drive to Wagoner Ford Rd intersection.

Marion's is at this intersection, address is 3443 North Dixie Drive.

Hope to see you there!

73, Rick

"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 08:56:41 PM »

Looks like attendance has been down in recent years.  I recall a few years ago it peaked out at about 35,000.

We had 18,877 people realize their "dream" when they attended Dayton Hamvention® 2009.

2009 - 18877
2008 - 17253
2007 - 19138
2006 - 20324
2005 - 20411
2004 - 19869
2003 - 22168
2002 - 24832
2001 - 26151
2000 - 28804
1999 - 28176
1998 - 28120
1997 - 28000
1996 -
1995 -            Ebay founded September 3, 1995
1994 -
1993 - 33669

Throughout most of the 90's and early 00's, the flea market was heavily populated with vendors selling tons of computer-related stuff. Also, during that time, tons of decommissioned test equipment was being brought in by the truckload. It's interesting that after the ".com" bubble burst and reality set in, Ebay now running in the fast track, and mom and pop web sites to sell stuff popping up all over the internet, attendance (vendor and customer) has been sliding down.

But, the big question is, what does attendance and forums have to do with Marion's Pizza  Huh
Fortunately or unfortunately, I won't be there. I'll be at the downtown Marriott, tipping a few and picking on unnamed thingy's on a buffet table and listening/laughing at some wild vendor tails.

Detroit47

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 09:40:09 PM »

I'll be at Dayton with my son. But I don't drink and we don't do bars. I've had him with me at Dayton every year since he was Seven years old. He is KD8FVQ I'm glad he saw Dayton in the glory days. On Saturday afternoon you could fire cannon through the flea market and not hit anybody. It's just plain depressing.

73 Johnathan N8QPC
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 10:50:50 PM »

Saturday afternoon generally has, and has had, some fairly good forums and probably keeps some people inside. Plus, the ones that aren't coming back on Sunday, generally are running around inside picking up their latest new toys.

w8khk

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 04:20:25 PM »

That has been a tradition amongst the AM'ers for many years, although I don't think their pizza is anything to write home about.  They have a pretty good beer selection, and the wine is palatable, but they chill their red.

It has been best when we had a large enough group to reserve the conference room, rather than just trying to gather in one spot in the main dining hall.

Has anyone heard anything about anyone trying to organise an AM Forum at Dayton this year?  I remember it was cancelled last year due to an allegedly inadvertent screw-up by the hamfest committee.

The Dayton event is just over a week away.  As Don says, it has been tradition for the AM'ers to meet for pizza.  If there is enough interest, I will call ahead to reserve the conference room.  I will also ask them to keep some red away from the chiller. What say, guys and gals?  Post your vote if you think you can attend!

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 06:54:46 PM »

I'd like to go to the pizza place; I think I can find it if I can get the ham I'm riding to Dayton with to go.  Is it me or what--i cannot figure out how to vote in the poll.   I see something that says "remove vote."  Well, I don't want to remove a vote; I want to add one.  Why does every single thing have to be so damned complicated now? 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W9RAN

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 11:32:11 AM »

Just looked up this thread to make sure the Pizza Gathering was still a go.

Bob W9RAN and Jim KF9XK will be planning on attending!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015