The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 01:37:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEAR-Fest IX is Just Around the Corner (You Never Know What You'll Find)  (Read 10390 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: April 22, 2011, 03:50:23 PM »

Like robins returning from the south, NEAR-Fest is a sure sign of spring.  Grin We're a little earlier this year due to the way the calendar dates worked out, hopefully this won't catch too many folks off guard.

The schedule of events is posted on the NEAR-Fest site, I've also posted it here in the announcements section for easy access.

And for those who say that nothing good shows up anymore, take a gander at the photo below. It was taken at a New England 'fest in the recent past, a couple fellows known to many of us. The lucky guy on left bought the entire stack of gear from one seller, for $400. You just never know!

http://near-fest.com/

* Hamfest Score.jpg (76.51 KB, 447x576 - viewed 514 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1JS

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 06:28:12 PM »

Hey, that ain't Nearfest with pavement and painted parking lines!  Now if it was mud...   Roll Eyes   Grin 

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 06:54:52 PM »

Hey, that ain't Nearfest with pavement and painted parking lines!  Now if it was mud...
I have to agree. You need at leat a small nor'easter to feel at home.

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 07:34:05 PM »

What's a little snow between friends?  Wink
Or rain and mud for that matter.

I'm looking forward to the granddaddy all northeast hamfests, Rochester.
And the Antique Wireless Association just a few months later, followed by the Yankee Steam Up.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 08:21:07 PM »

Hey, that ain't Nearfest with pavement and painted parking lines!  Now if it was mud...   Roll Eyes   Grin  

You're right, Jack. But it is in New England.   Grin

I have to agree. You need at leat a small nor'easter to feel at home.

Indeed. You got to share some of it with us last fall, and traveled all the way from western Ohio for the opportunity. Was it worth the trip, Bill?  Wink

Then there was the incredible wx in May when everyone raved that it was the best wx they could ever remember in decades, from Hosstraders on. You never know for sure what you'll get until you get there, which is why the wise folks go for the event, not the wx. It's a hamfest, not an elitist gathering where name dropping will impress anyone.

True, it's the premier event in the northeast and one of the largest in the country today, but most importantly - it's where our friends are. At the end of the day, the people and the experience are still more important than whatever we haul home. No clubs, no associations, just a group of like-minded individuals who enjoy themselves putting on an event where others enjoy themselves. You just can't go wrong by attending. Though spending too much time around the AMers could lead you astray... Shocked

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 08:22:53 PM »

It was taken at a New England 'fest in the recent past, a couple fellows known to many of us.

But not all of us. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 08:25:18 PM »

That picture has to be from years years ago.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 08:26:26 PM »

What's a little snow between friends?  Wink
Or rain and mud for that matter.
Statistically speaking, of the sixteen days of hamfesting that we have hosted at Deerfield since May 2007 there were only three days when it rained at all and only one day (Friday October 15th 2010) was truly horrible.  Given that we are in New England, we were long overdue for it.

Furthermore we never had any snow at our hamfest (although a couple of times it was plenty cold).  Then again, are we a bunch of pussies who worry about a little water?  That's what raingear is for.

So in reality it isn't that bad as some would have us believe.  Besides the wonderful memories of friends and good times last a lifetime long after the weather is often forgotten.

MrMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 08:30:06 PM »

Within the last decade, Pete. During the time when folks were screaming the most that no one sells at hamfests anymore, everyone is on ebay. It's even better now.  

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 08:34:26 PM »

Actually it looks like Boxboro. Isn't the guy on the left a SK?

W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 08:35:41 PM »

That picture was taken by me at Boxborough in 2006.  Phil, K1DFC (SK) scored that pile on Suandy morning for $400.00.  

Last summer a friend of mine bought a 75A-4 and 32V-3 at the M.I.T. Flea for $200.00.  I git there about 30 secounds too late!  Stuff is still there but of course not in the quantities it was years ago,

MrMike

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 08:37:39 PM »

I knew those trees weren't from NH.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 08:40:34 PM »

And the guy on the right lives in Florida now, but we still have fond memories of him roaming the 'fests. And great stories.

W4AAB

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 10:28:04 PM »

Who is the guy on the right? I wish I could take off and fly up there to look at the goodies.I love REAL hamfests!!
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »

So Rich moved to FL huh? I guess things were getting too hot for him up this way. What a character!

That pic looks over 10 years old and is Boxboro. Jack Wilson, W1QXX, was probably still alive and running the fleamarket.

Carl
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 09:50:35 AM »

Was it worth the trip, Bill?

For the fest, the friends and the good times it sure was! When I can do it again I will.

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 11:34:27 AM »

Rest assured I'll be there..would not want to give up the chance to tell Todd all about my ant schemes..it's kinda a long running line with him..incidently Todd there IS a TA-33JR resting in the backyard now with definite plans to go up soon
Buy in the spring..sell in the fall is my motto..from my experience spring has always turned into the "wettest" time but long range predictors say that weekend looks OK with a small chance Friday might be wet..maybe..those ops in '06 made a nice haul..truth is there are such "hauls" still out there..anyone bringing a unused 32V-2 or Johnson Ranger down there?....ah well we will see!
                                                        73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 01:20:44 PM »

So Rich moved to FL huh? I guess things were getting too hot for him up this way. What a character!

He's been down there for a while now, Carl. That was his HRO-600 online recently.

Was it worth the trip, Bill?

For the fest, the friends and the good times it sure was! When I can do it again I will.

When it comes to radio events, it's tough to beat on any level: people, equipment, food, and overall experiences. The stories folks share about their trips to NEAR-Fest along with the distances they travel to attend tell us that we're doing something right. We've even had folks tell us they enjoy it more than Dayton.

For us, it's the people who attend that make it all worthwhile. They sell, they buy, they provide the forums and create the atmosphere. Those of us who grew up going to Hosstraders and other area events now understand and appreciate the social aspect above all else.

And there's no better proof of this than the serious-looking guy in the center of the photo below. Don't be fooled, this is the calm before the storm. Fair warning that if you find yourself sitting near him during a meal(as Bill found out), there's a very strong chance he'll have you coughing and spitting your food out in no time with his humorous dialogue. Happened to me at Dayton and many times since. My sides hurt from laughing so much!

* NFVIII_Dinner2.JPG (347.63 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 394 times.)

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 04:45:08 PM »

I had planned on going to fester but the XYL has since shifted my attention. She found a property at the 'cape of cod' she wants to look at and decided it was a  more important event. I concurred so I will make the attempt in the fall.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 06:08:27 PM »

Women have a way of doing that to your plans, Bob.

There's always the big X coming up in October.... Wink

KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 06:59:38 PM »

One of the most interesting things about the dinner is you never know what interesting topic is going to come up. For instance, at the last dinner we were treated to a passionate plea for "Graff Zeplin" stamps and got quite an education on stamp collecting in general. I wish I could have taped it. My sides hurt laughing so much.

Bill KA8WTK
Burt
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »

Like robins returning from the south, NEAR-Fest is a sure sign of spring.  Grin We're a little earlier this year due to the way the calendar dates worked out, hopefully this won't catch too many folks off guard.

The schedule of events is posted on the NEAR-Fest site, I've also posted it here in the announcements section for easy access.

And for those who say that nothing good shows up anymore, take a gander at the photo below. It was taken at a New England 'fest in the recent past, a couple fellows known to many of us. The lucky guy on left bought the entire stack of gear from one seller, for $400. You just never know!

http://near-fest.com/

I would love to be there but I would love to be with my 4th graders at the Science Museum more
Burt
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 09:53:39 AM »

I hope and know everyone will have a good time at the Near-Fest IX. 

We could not attend both the Spring and Fall, so Martha and I have decided we will make the Fall Near Fest this year. 

Enjoy,

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 11:34:38 AM »

And there's no better proof of this than the serious-looking guy in the center of the photo below. Don't be fooled, this is the calm before the storm. Fair warning that if you find yourself sitting near him during a meal(as Bill found out), there's a very strong chance he'll have you coughing and spitting your food out in no time with his humorous dialogue. Happened to me at Dayton and many times since. My sides hurt from laughing so much!

Back atchya, I remember almost throwing up my salad for some of your soliloquies  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 05:14:27 PM »

With jolly JN enjoying the spring riots in Athens I might just wait for the big 1-0 Grin.
It all depends on how much walking I'll be doing tomorrow.

Year that Rich photo looks a good 15 years old.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015