The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 06:43:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diamond to replace Silicon in semiconductor apps?  (Read 2106 times)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« on: April 24, 2011, 08:15:25 PM »

I caught the tail end of a NOVA program the other day, where they were talking to a manufacturer of artificial diamonds.  The gems are grown in a Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) and replicate natural diamonds well enough to fool experts. 

Interestingly, the reason for developing the technology was not for gems, although that is immediately profitable, but They can grow sheets of diamond crystal, which is an insulator, and dope it just like silicon forming a carbon based transistor, and a Diamond based semiconductor would greatly exceed the power handling abilities of Silicon.  In reality it's probable decades away from a practical application yet.

As I watched, I got the ridiculous image of a Class E rig, with a Final measured in Carats!! 

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 08:30:41 PM »

I think that using diamond for the substrate has been around for a long time (> 30 years), but has not been well known due to being an expensive niche product.  Sapphire is in the same boat (great insulator and high thermal conductivity) and is becoming popular in cell-phone r.f. i.c.s., referred to as silicon-on-sapphire.

You can't beat the low cost of silicon i.c.s with MOCVD process.  The diamond and sapphire substrates won't replace all silicon i.c.s, but becomes more economical for the applications "forced" to the use of sapphire.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 10:18:11 PM »

I think the technology now to grow a wafer of diamond crystal is what will make it more cost effective. I doubt it will ever be as ubiquitous as silicon, but it's still interesting technology.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 12:05:01 AM »

and replicate natural diamonds well enough to fool experts. 

According to some experts the way man made diamonds are detected from manufactured is the fact that all natural diamonds have flaws in them.

Man made diamonds,  from what these experts on the show I watched said, are near perfect. Great letting us know about this, I'll research it more. 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015