The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 09:38:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT: “Your village is mountainous, this hinders radio transmission signals”  (Read 3552 times)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« on: April 25, 2011, 03:00:26 AM »

FROM DXING WORLD:

What began as idle village talk over tea and tobacco quickly became reality when the son of my late uncle smuggled in a cheap Chinese radio transmitter from South Korea. For a week what was probably the first independent village radio in Zimbabwe rocked our little, insignificant village.

In our village in Chimanimani, in eastern Zimbabwe, we have never enjoyed the luxury of listening to state radio and television broadcast services from Harare, which is hundreds of kilometres away. This painful predicament has persisted since 1980, when the country became independent. Numerous queries to the radio authorities offered many reasons, but no solutions.

“Your village is mountainous, this hinders radio transmission signals,” a cheeky-mouthed government administrator found joy in saying.

“There is too much mist and rain, this clouds short-wave signals,” said one self-appointed “communication expert”, glorifying the government’s decision to cut off our village from the rest of the country for 30 years.

Complete article at http://dxingworld.info/?p=993

AMI#1684
K1DEU
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:46:51 AM »

A illegal printing press usually lasts longer than a fun type  Pirate station out in the open.

My favorite flag has always been Robin Hood types where different opinions are supported but not with physical violence !

If it wasn't for the pirate La Fayette we would all be Brits.

John, K1DEU      
W5COA
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 11:20:48 AM »

For years, Austin, Texas had only one television station. It was argued that the mountains to the west of Austin prevented having more than one station, as interference would result.

Guess who owned the one and only station? Lady Bird Johnson.

Zimbabwe has nothing on USA politics.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 12:59:12 PM »

My favorite flag has always been Robin Hood types where different opinions are supported but not with physical violence !

Those two statements seem to be 180 degrees apart, LaFayette wasnt firing grapefruits Huh

There is nothing wrong with violence as long as you are not on the receiving end, it has solved many problems for the "good guys".

Carl
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 01:20:35 PM »

Zimbabwe has nothing on USA politics.

Zimbabwe was once the breadbasket of Africa and a strikingly beautiful place.  Totalitarian dictatorship has driven it into one of the poorest countries in the world.

To compare the property seizures, executions, and corruption in Zimbabwe with Lady Bird holding a monopoly on a TV station is pretty offensive, considering recent Zimbabwe history.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W2ZE
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 01:57:49 PM »

To compare the property seizures, executions, and corruption in Zimbabwe with Lady Bird holding a monopoly on a TV station is pretty offensive, considering recent Zimbabwe history.

Indeed, and the preferred manor of executions of Robert Mugabe is to haul dissidents into the streets and hack them alive with machete's for everyone to see. Thanks Johnny for putting things into perspective.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 03:28:45 PM »

Reminds me of:

"All your base are belong to us."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVsijmCFs50&feature=related

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 10:41:04 PM »

You are confusing two different personalities. Gilbert du Motier, marquis de Lafayette was a French military officer and aristocrat who came to our aid during the war for independence. Jean Lafit(t)e was a pirate and privateer in the Gulf of Mexico in the early 19th century.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1DEU
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 11:02:22 PM »

Don according to my history (akashic) records they were the same person!

And Robin Hood knew what cannon balls, powder and swords were for. Just simply necessary actions.
WB3JOK

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 01:46:32 PM »

Reminds me of:

"All your base are belong to us."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVsijmCFs50&feature=related

I think this one is the best compilation though Wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fvTxv46ano&feature=related
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015