The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:45:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Capturing speech waveforms??  (Read 5396 times)
KC9LKE

« on: April 13, 2011, 11:00:32 AM »

I am doing a class presentation on speech compression and its application in AM transmitters. I need a way to capture speech waveforms and present them using power point and a digital overhead projector. Read “I need really good resolution so I can point out asymmetry, effects of compression, etc”. Our Agilent storage scopes at school won’t cut it at all.

Also:

For the live demo I would like to play a prerecorded voice file, run it through my compressor, and capture the output so I can visually compare it to the original uncompressed source.

Audacity does exactly what I need except the resolution of the waveforms is just to low to be useful for this project. Someone suggested using a SDR freeware package that has a good time domain display along with running Audacity as a playback device. Well that or a good scope freeware package. FYI my laptop has L-R in if needed.

Suggestions appreciated!!

Best Regards
Ted / KC9LKE
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:39:12 AM »

Download a free copy of Alberto's "Spectran" It should do everything you want and runs with a computer sound card.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 02:20:35 PM »

With Audacity you should be able to expand the waveform in question. Speech patterns will be hard to capture. Single tones are not realistic.
Maybe Frank has the answer.

Fred KC4MOP
KC9LKE

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:17:01 AM »

Thanks guys:

I’ll try Spectran and also see if I can expand the waveform graph on Audacity. A friend is betting that we can increase the resolution of the graph in Audacity, to a point, with a better sound card, more points. He’s pushing so I’ll give it a try.

Right Fred! A tone gives no frame of reference. Run it through a compressor and its still a sine wave, big wup. I’m addressing a group of ….oh I’ll leave that alone. I need to show a before and after speech pattern for “obvious” proof.

I’ll report what I come up with if it’s positive.

Thanks again.
Ted   
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:56:30 AM »

Alberto is a great guy contact him with questions. Search on "Weak Signals"
for his email address. He is involved with Perseus SDR RX. Software.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 12:12:44 PM »

You can set the sample rate to at least 24 bits in Audacity. If that's not enough, then you'll never have enough. How this is displayed in Audacity is another issue. But unless you are realling zooming in, you should never see the individual points in an audio waveform.
KC9LKE

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 06:59:58 AM »

All:
After following your suggestions and some time experimenting with Audacity, I found it will work out fine. In the beginning I was in rush mode, and 16 hours sleep for the week.
Thanks again!

Best Regards
Ted / KC9LKE 
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 11:01:53 AM »

Please post this work when you get it ready. Excellent subject.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 11:46:49 PM »

haha the digital tools are great. The alternative is to capture scope video and pick out frames of interest as in the olden days.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015