The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:56:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oldest working TV set in England  (Read 3366 times)
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« on: April 11, 2011, 12:12:06 PM »

Nice looking unit.

http://www.televisionbroadcast.com/article/117450

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 02:17:57 PM »

A few collectors in the US have mirror-in-the-lid sets that were built here. I have seen many photos, mostly promotional, in old books and magazines, but never actually laid eyes on a real receiver. I wonder how many were ever built and how many of those have survived till now.  

Regular TV transmissions in the USA didn't begin until several years after those in Britain, sometime about 1939.  Germany was transmitting experimental CRT TV images during the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, but the upcoming war pretty well put all TV development in Europe on hold. The same happened here shortly after the first regular broadcasts began in NYC.  TV development didn't resume until after 1945, but the technology still served military purposes, primarily the development of radar, so advancements in video technology didn't cease with the beginning of hostilities, and commercial TV deployment was ready to roll shortly after V-J Day.

There was a series of articles on how TV works in some pre-WW2 issues of QST. They had already developed such refinements as interlaced scanning by the mid-30s.
I can remember seeing want-ads in the Yellow Sheets and other publications during the 60s and 70s seeking mirror-in-the-lid TV sets, so there must have been a few of them out there. Another factor that undoubtedly limited the number of sets sold, besides scarcity of stations that actually transmitted signals, was the Great Depression, which didn't really end until wartime production generated the necessary economic stimulus.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
SM6OID

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 04:06:15 AM »

Hi!

Since I am a radio collector, I would love to hava an old TV set like the one beeing sold in the UK. IF it is, and that is not likely, in strict original condition, without a lot of modern caps and so on, I would consider 5000 pounds to be "cheap". You don't run across them every day....

By the way, I have about 300 old radios, from mid 20's up to mid 50's. 

RADIO: 51J-4, R-390A, SP-600 JX-21, BRT-400, Set No 19, T-47/ART-13, RF-590, SRT CR91, BC-312D, BC-348Q, HF-8020/8030/8010A/8090,  and much more...

ENGINE: Zvezda M50 F6L (V12), Rolls-Royce Meteor mk4B/2 (V12), Rolls-Royce B80 (inline 8 ) and much more
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 10:30:27 AM »

here's another link without the annoying "sage" ad that will not close...............if you DO manage to trick it and clik on close you go to the SAGE website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8159406.stm

The video is interesting. The owner has these "box of tricks" to down-convert to the older 480 line standard. Amazing that it still works but a pretty tired picture from that old CRT.

using the blessed and accepted firefox 4

Fred KC4MOP
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 04:05:32 PM »

Yes, I got a waring about going to the original link as it may contain malware. I use a Firefox extension called WOT. It will work on Chrome, Firefox and IE but you must download it for the browser your using. It saved my computer lots of time.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 06:07:48 PM »

here's another link without the annoying "sage" ad that will not close...............if you DO manage to trick it and clik on close you go to the SAGE website.

I don't get any ads that won't close or re-direct to another website.  I do get a set of blank "sponsored link" boxes at the bottom.

I think my custom HOSTS file blocks the ads.  I don't get any ads with my Hotmail web mail account, either.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015