The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:17:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just subscribed to CQ Magazine for 3 Years  (Read 5715 times)
K1DEU
« on: April 05, 2011, 05:27:03 PM »

Just subscribed to CQ Magazine for 3 Years for myself and my prospective wife.
Excellent subscription price no politics $97 for 3 years! Covers every faucet, with tiddlywinks, etccera.

In addition to graduating from Williams College when I was 13.

I set out to study more and graduated from RPI with a PHD in Linear Accelerators and some other boring fields, meeting many students and profs who were hams at W2SZ our special club station.   73   John D. Shaw  P.H.D. ars K1DEU   Grin
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:20:11 PM »

Don't shine us.  You stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night didn't you?

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
K1DEU
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 10:57:39 PM »

Well when I went to RPI funds were definitely lacking So I slept on a lot of floors couches and in many buildings that we not occupied after 5 PM in the winter. I had to bum food and cigarettes and the largest problem was text books. So RPI had to suddenly allow me to use 2nd hand books. Its actually quite healthy to have to be a beggar when growing up. In the winter I could not always make it 40 miles to Williamstown, Mass on the weekends and Thaw out with Mom and Dad for Williams only supported a Basketball coaches son for two graduate courses with no funds for on or off campus food or lodging of any type. Some of the richer kids got together and gave me textbooks In trade for Toutering them with subjects they could not get better than a C- grade in.

And BTW I have always been an essene, Never a Sandhremm sect     To me I was never Jewish !     audios Dr. John K1DEU

To me I am a simple person when not being attacked unfairly. Basically a Scott lander who always prefers to fraternize with Low Landers only.
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:32:57 AM »

Covers every faucet, with tiddlywinks, etccera.

John, do tell us about their AM Column, or anything resembling such.

Otherwise, looking forward to your becoming a columnist for same.

Then I'll subscribe.
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 09:12:13 AM »

Just subscribed to CQ Magazine... Covers every faucet, with tiddlywinks, etccera.

CQ used to be an amateur radio magazine at one time. How strange.

--- Post No Bills ---
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 01:06:35 PM »

John, that "P.H.D" you placed up there at the top of this thread I suppose
  stands for "piled higher & deeper", no?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Oh, and the skemos all survived I might add... Grin Grin Grin

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 01:10:08 PM »

CQ used to be an amateur radio magazine at one time.

That was decades ago.

They evolved directly from the old pre-WW2 west coast Radio magazine, which in turn was a 1936 consolidation of the original Radio and R/9 magazines.

I once subscribed to CQ, but let it expire as it had morphed into primarily a QuaRMtest rag.  I also subscribed to Ham Radio at the time. When HR folded and CQ bought them out, they substituted the CQ rag to continue out the remaining issues of the HR subscription. Instead of extending my CQ subscription, I was getting two of the damned things in the mail each month for while.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N8LGU

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 08:25:13 PM »

Electric Radio is about the only thing left resembling the older ham radio rags. QST and CQ are mainly just vehicles to bundle up and sell you all the ads for "modern" (read Plastic) radios. I prefer CQ to QST but don't subscribe to either.

"Rock Cave Dave"
K1DEU
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 11:38:43 PM »

I greatly miss Ham Radio Magazine but the majority are not very technical.  I would still like to subscribe to QEX, but only without anyone using my political "Yea"vote automatically. But it is not an option.

Ralph so I have a bunch of degrees, not honorary. So what !  they mean nothing to me nor do any titles mean squat to me. Why should I bother to waste energy and be vain ?
I think its quite normal for a kid / teenager to be curious about everything and yikes  I must still be a kid for my curiosity about anything new or different never ends.

Thank God I'll never be perfect no matter how had I try to learn from my mistakes that others and I define.  I know you are happy by what and how often you complain !  regards little johnny, K1DEU
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 01:35:17 AM »

John,

What, me complain?  Perhaps, but at 83 pushing 84 I have a few things to
    complain about, like aches, pains and sometimes just the plain stupidity in
    what's going on at our seat of power down in DC...  Huh  Roll Eyes  Huh   But we
    won't go there on this forum.

Just worked F6AKQ on 3710  (yes it was on AM)  with a 5 x 8 report so my
    old gear still works with the low antenna.

Take care &  CU...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
ve6pg

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »

..maybe i should subscribe...lots of plumbing to do around here..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015