The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 10:50:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trash heard on 75m Wed night/Thurs morning  (Read 3067 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: March 31, 2011, 02:30:23 AM »

Wed night/Thurs morning (times approximate). Lightning static gradually disappeared during monitoring period.

0400-0500Z: Had QSO with stations in Washington state, IL and TN on 3885 kc/s. The intermittent rushing noise started up on frequency shortly after the QSO began. Up to then, the frequency had been clear of both legitimate signals and hash.  Noise wiped out the WA station, but I was able to continue QSO with IL and TN stations. After we signed out, I tuned across the band, roughly during 0500-0540Z.

The same intermittent noise (strong signal with weak signal responding) that has plagued 3885 lately was noted on 3942.5.  Tuned back to 3885 and it was gone from that frequency.  QSY or different station?

Continuous white-noise rushing sound noted on 3822, 3855 and 3865. Digital rubbish from Europe?

Broad, white noise hash cut a solid swathe from 3950 to 3970 kc/s.  Sounded like two adjacent DRM signals centred on 3955 and 3965.  Germany was not audible on 3995 on AM or DRM.

Slopbucket music station, playing oldies.  First noted on 3702 kc/s,  later QSYed to 3704.  Unlike most SSB music stations, this one had excellent audio quality once precisely tuned in. Same genre of music as heard recently on 160m AM around 1870-1890 kc/s. Would have wiped out any AM activity on 3705.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 10:13:13 AM »

Hey Don,
sounds like you had a very entertaining morning. SSB music station etc.
NOW if you were a smug Hamster, you could SEE what that swath of interference was with a Flex radio and the pan adapter screen.
It's really a nice feature to see what is going on nearby as you use the spectrum.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 10:36:46 AM »

I was watching the same noise near 3885 over the weekend. Not very strong in CT maybe 10 dB above the afternoon noise floor.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:44:33 AM »

I was watching the same noise near 3885 over the weekend. Not very strong in CT maybe 10 dB above the afternoon noise floor.

That was the first time I have noticed it on any frequency but 3885.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 11:56:40 AM »

Continuous white-noise rushing sound noted on 3822, 3855 and 3865. Digital rubbish from Europe?

The noise sources listed above are from Europe. They've been around for at least 10 years now. I've used them often for checking corndix to Eu using f-b and relative strength. 

I believe the noise on 3885 is from Eu too, though it is more QSY-variable and may be more related to ongoing military operations.

It seems 75M has become a dumping ground for these types of hash noises up and down the band. There are some nights when hash will take over the DX window and stay there all night. Ther next day it is gone. 

The 3822/3855/3865 hash is here to stay. The other stuff seems to come and go in varying time periods and freqs.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 12:00:49 PM »

As pointed out in another thread, I noticed it completely obliterating a SW broadcaster...  BUT, when that BC would go QRT or QSY, that signal seemed to look for the next AM sig and lock on to it.  The intermittent nature of our broadcasts would let it unlock, then come back a few seconds later.

Pure conjecture on my part, but it sure does seem that way here...  It randomly locks on to carriers (I noticed it also locked on to some locals ragchewing on 3892 lsb, but the guy it seemed to mess with was REALLY wide)...

Anywho.  It seems to LOVE the female voice around 3912, too.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015