The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:48:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TIMONIUM HAMFEST  (Read 3027 times)
KA4RFA
Contributing

« on: March 09, 2011, 06:23:40 PM »

Anyone going to TIMONIUM ?
Have not read anything about it this year-
Thought I might take an nine hour ride north to attend for the first time
Is there an area similar to SHELBY where AM'ers set up -plan to get there Friday PM 3-25-11

KA4RFA
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »

Martha and I are looking forward to Timonium and will definately be there on Saturday.  Usually an AM group photo is taken at noon in the lobby area of one of the inside exhibit area's. 

Hope to see a lot of the AM group there this year.

Joe, W3GMS       

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 10:17:32 AM »

I hate to say because I've attended the fest for many years and for a long time it was one of the better ones (amount and quality of the stuff for sale and the level of attendance) in the mid-Atlantic region. But the size and quality of the fest has dropped off in recent years. Unfortuntely, it has never had an AM gathering/camping scene like Shelby.

After thinking about it, I realized I've mostly been attending the fest because of Slab Bacon's party afterwards. The fest was mostly a sideshow. So, I will not be attending this year.

That said, you may want to go and see for yourself. Just be advised, it's nothing like Shelby.

Anyone going to TIMONIUM ?
Have not read anything about it this year-
Thought I might take an nine hour ride north to attend for the first time
Is there an area similar to SHELBY where AM'ers set up -plan to get there Friday PM 3-25-11

KA4RFA

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 01:03:24 PM »

That said, you may want to go and see for yourself. Just be advised, it's nothing like Shelby.

Very true, though you don't have to dodge lazy people in rented golf carts at Timonium.  Roll Eyes

It's certainly worth the visit, though the Junk-to-Radio stuff ratio is pretty lame. There is plenty of radio equipment, but even more non-radio junk. Inside the buildings are loads of vendors selling clothing, junk jewelry, furniture, everything but radio(though there is some mixed in). The tailgating area is the place to be.

Someone told me the powers that be allow typical flea market types to sell junk there to be able to afford rental of the buildings and such. My thoughts are, rent one less building and cut out the garbage sellers. Make a hamfest more about radio and less of a trash-fest and attendance will climb.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 03:23:30 PM »

I have to agree that the outside flea market at Timonium is the best place to be.  Last year there were some very nice boat anchors in great shape for a reasonable price. 

There is one large building at the fest which primarily sells radio gear of the older variety.  That building is quite large.   
Unfortunately, the other buildings are filled with computer stuff and other non radio related stuff. 

All in all its not a bad fest and once of the greatest things besides picking up a BA or two is seeing a lot of the AM Community. 

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:28:14 PM »

Steve said:
After thinking about it, I realized I've mostly been attending the fest because of Slab Bacon's party afterwards. The fest was mostly a sideshow. So, I will not be attending this year.

My feelings exactly Steve. I won't be making the sojourn there for that reason. Someway when everyone wasn't looking, it turned into a junk-fest. Even when the computers were there, they made for a great tail-gating area. Now you have people selling, suffice to say, "junk" in all areas and very little radio related stuff. The test equipment has evaporated also. 6 bux, 3 hours drive..... I don't think so.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015