The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 10:56:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Posting some pics of the QRP rig in use here.  (Read 8472 times)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« on: March 06, 2011, 05:54:14 PM »

Here are a couple of photos of the AM QRP rig in use here.  Essentially a modulated oscillator, using a 6N7 with both sections paralleled.  Audio is provided by a "PA" deck from an old reel to reel.  12watts input and probably 3-6 watts carrier (I'm guessing).  Yes, ugly breadboard construction, but then the only beautiful thing I have ever made was my daughter!  Grin
Modulated in modified Hiesing (cap coupled mod trany).The mod tranny is a 70V line transformer
After continuing reports of poor (low) modulation I changed the inductor from the unknown filter choke to a 10 Henry job from Hammarlund and I've upgraded from the paralleled 0.1uf caps (0.6uf total) to a 1.0 uf 2kv oil cap (old microwave oven job). The scope looks like it's hitting 95% now.

* PW 1.jpg (782.38 KB, 2160x1440 - viewed 535 times.)

* 100_4320.jpg (705.62 KB, 2160x1440 - viewed 503 times.)

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:55:47 PM »

I'm digging it Ed!  Looks like something I'll be doing soon.

AMI#1684
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:27:38 PM »

Looks dandy there Ed!

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
W4AAB

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:29:27 PM »

I have some 2.0 uF 2 kV caps around here I can send you this weekend if you think more cap will get you up to 100%.
                                                 Joe W4AAB
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 12:53:49 AM »

I love seeing things that work! Cool

My complements.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W1UJR
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 07:30:17 AM »

Great photos Ed, and that is the true intent of the net, to get folks either building, experimenting, or using those rigs which set on the shelf. Once you got the audio up, you were fine, you had decent carrier strength here, just needed more audio.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 08:25:21 AM »

Cool stuff, Ed. It embodies the true essence of amateur radio, where form follows function. I've always liked the breadboard approach not only for its simplicity, but the fact that it just screams 'RADIO' and shows how a pile of parts can be arranged into a working unit. And without a ton of clipleads!  Grin  I think it makes people want to build when they see a working set like yours.

A reminder too, guys (and girls), that we have the Gallery section for posting photos if you have a lot to share. Using the Gallery allows much more space for detailed or multiple photos, you can upload more than you can fit into a post, then simply link to them from the thread. Another excellent resource for folks to use on the site.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »

One reason I like this rig is it is a minimalist approach.  If you note there are darn few parts in there.   Most folks could work this up using a sparsly populated junk box.  heck you could even get a solid state version going using a pair of IRF-510 fets or something.

Now that I've got a real audio inductor in there I think it'll be fine business for next Sundays net.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KL7OF

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 10:30:20 AM »

Very cool Ed....I like the rig....
 What is the copper foil on the wall behind the bench?   Is your shack rf proofed?
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 02:12:33 PM »

The foil is the ground buss. I stretched out some reclaimed copper foil along the back of workbench shelves and tied it to ground with 3/4 inch braid. All the RF ground go through that single point system.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 06:25:53 PM »

Awesome Ed! That should inspire more folks to get on the AM PW bandwagon! Big turnout on the Net yesterday.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
W1UJR
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 08:21:52 PM »

Ed did a great job, that home brew stuff is just beau-t-ful, or as our friend Charlie might say - Winning!

Mike, you've done some fine home brew as well, how about posting some of your recent creations to this thread?

With the renewed interest in QRP and low power operation, it would be ideal to have all of this info, including the photos, in one place for easy reference, would really inspire others to follow in you fellow's tracks. There is some discussion of creating a separate forum, here if the powers that be allow, or perhaps on one of Steve's servers. We will see what shakes out, and I'll keep all updated.

Too bad some us go to work during the day, this low power, home brew stuff can get very addicting!
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 09:09:01 PM »

Actually, the discussion took place a couple days ago, resulting in the sticky topic for the QRP net. This keeps the topic in bold print on the upper part of the forum for easier viewing. So long as there is sustained interest, this should serve the purpose well.

Rather than creating a further splintering into more and more forums, it makes more sense to keep the discussion here in QSO where all can see and easily participate. As example, something like a milsurplus email group can better serve all by providing general and specific information useful to most any user of the gear, without fracturing into multiple sub groups for each different radio. A QRP Net forum, a Retro 75 forum, a QRO forum, a Gray Hair Net forum, Collins First Wednesday AM forum, before long it gets far too convoluted and wanders away from the basic purpose of the site: to promote AM operation, regardless of preferred equipment, power level, etc. 

One thing I think would be helpful is a list of all the AM nets, including this one, with days, times, and bands/frequencies as an easy reference for those who might not otherwise be aware. The Announcements section covers the special events like the HMR or AM Transmitter Rally pretty well, but a list of nets or regular gatherings that is static would be a plus. We'll look into that.

And don't forget the Gallery. A great place to park multiple photos. I think attaching them on a post limits the number to 3, which works fine of you only have a couple to share. The Gallery is a great way to document a project from start to finish, and won't scroll off like multiple posts.

A plethora of tools and options at your fingertips, with no requirement beyond the initial sign up. Such a deal!  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KC2TAU

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 01:06:56 AM »

Hey,you posted pictures of your homebrew work! That's awesome. It really looks great. I remember you telling me about the microwave oven cap and I'm quite impressed at your ingenuity and ability to make common items work well. I'd love to hear it on the air sometime. I remember when you were testing it but were only broadcasting a carrier and I was able to hear it so perhaps we might be able to make a QSO out of it sometime. Keep up the great work!
KD0HUX

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 06:43:24 PM »

Cool stuff, Ed. It embodies the true essence of amateur radio, where form follows function. I've always liked the breadboard approach not only for its simplicity, but the fact that it just screams 'RADIO' and shows how a pile of parts can be arranged into a working unit. And without a ton of clipleads!  Grin  I think it makes people want to build when they see a working set like yours.

A reminder too, guys (and girls), that we have the Gallery section for posting photos if you have a lot to share. Using the Gallery allows much more space for detailed or multiple photos, you can upload more than you can fit into a post, then simply link to them from the thread. Another excellent resource for folks to use on the site.
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 07:21:56 PM »

Ed,
   That is very cool.  I have played with the idea of a qrp tube rig.  Can you post a schematic of yours?

Rich
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 09:05:39 PM »

FB breadboard layout, Ed!  I heard you last week on the net with it. Sounds like you got the audio gain worked out now. A single tube for the whole rig like that is no easy trick to get right.

T

(Whoops, I first thought this was a PW Sticky - I reposted my PW rig in a new thread so not to hijack your thread, Ed.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 09:28:57 PM »

Here's the PW-SBE rig schematic.
Basically a  TNT rig (see antique wireless) modified with tuned grid circuit. Any transformer that will handle the plate volts would work as a mod trany.  (filament tranny, or plate to grid or 8 ohm to 70V line etc).  The audio reactor choke should be as big as you can make it (multiple in series ok)  With my setup this tranny and the1uf cap provide about 90-95% modulation now.
 Nothing special here easy to build and simple.  However this rig will Chirp, drift and FM. It's the nature of the beast.  None of the parts values are critical, a grid dip meter is helpful.  The grid coil may need some work to get a decent tone.  Tuning is a little tricky as hand capacitance effects take a bit of touch n go.  If you bread board it with the right stuff you won't even need a soldering iron!

The Plate Tank should really be Copper tubing, but any really heavy wire will work ok with Low power.  The plate blocking cap needs to be able to handle several times the plate volts, this keeps the B+ off of the exposed Tank Components, VERY IMPORTANT!!!!  If omit this and touch the TANK circuit YOU WILL GET ACROSS THE B+.  If that scares you good you'll have a long healthy radio life.   If you don't like HV then build the whole thing with an IRF-510 or other BIG fet and use 12V or so.  

Oh, not shown but you will need a current meter in the B+ line!  I find it easiest to tune with an o-scope, but you can peak and dip..

* untitled.JPG (77.81 KB, 959x542 - viewed 350 times.)

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015