The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:59:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oene  (Read 4156 times)
N8LGU

« on: March 08, 2011, 12:50:02 PM »

Last night around midnight, I needed an AM fix so I listened around 3705kc.
I didn't hear anyone so I went up to the getto and heard Don, K4KYV calling CQ.
My vertical was set up for 3700kc and I didn't want to go outside to change my
stinger so I went back down to 3705 and called CQ for about 10 minutes.
Nobody answered so I turned off the gear and got on the computer.
I checked my e-mail and noticed a strange address:Edit Draft

oene to you - 12 hrs ago More Details
  oene <o.spoelstra1@chello.nl

To:
  amroc8@aol.com
Cc:
Bcc:just heard you calling cq on this freg.

oene
Date:
Tue, Mar 8, 2011 12:31 am

I replied:Thank you for the report, Oene. How was my signal and what is your geographical location?
-Dave/N8LGU
Oene then replied:Sorry i forgot to mention it.

JO23VG in the northern part of Holland near the coast.
Receiver Racal 17L and a small Wellbrook inside the house standing on the floor
A few minutes later there was F6AQK calling on 3705, he ‘s there every morning at that time.

Oene  PD0POM 

Maybe band conx are better than we think!

"Rock Cave Dave"
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:35:10 PM »

They vary from one night to the next. I can hear F6AKQ most any night. He varies from about S6 to about 10 db-over-9, depending on the night. When he's louder, I can hear some the the others pretty well too, like 9H1ES,PE1MPH and others. When F6AQK is weaker (but still copiable), the others are usually cannot be copied.

I've found since 1996, that March is one of the better months for hearing and working the Europeans. October has produced similar results.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 02:04:42 PM »

Some of the best condx occur in October and November.  The static subsides in Dec thru Feb, but I have found that propagation tends to go into the doldrums about mid-December and stays that way through the winter months.

I recall some of the best condx on 40m a year ago last March right after the broadcasters went away.  I thought at the time that things would really be good the following winter, but I was a little disappointed.  The band just seemed to crap out in the evening with few stations heard (AM or SSB).  Don't know if propagation was that bad, or if the novelty of 40m had simply worn off by then, and everyone had gone back to other bands.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:27:30 AM »

I also remember a peak coming from roughly 11:45-12:15 or so. You can hear the signals build to their strongest where they seem to hold for maybe a half hour or so, at most, then they start to fade on the standard half wave dipole.

Never did get to work them from up north, maybe the south is the charm. Knowing a bit about your set up Dave, it's impressive they heard you so well over there. Or maybe the vertical is the trick?

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:56:05 AM »

A vertical or a high dipole is the trick for them to hear you. A Beverage or other directional receiving antenna is the trick for hearing them.

It's good that they get on near their sunrise. There seems to be a peak in the propagation then.  Grin
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 10:26:15 PM »

Here's how I was hearing  F6AQK in April of last year.

Some of the best condx occur in October and November.  The static subsides in Dec thru Feb, but I have found that propagation tends to go into the doldrums about mid-December and stays that way through the winter months.

* f6aqk12apr10400z3704.mp3 (542.66 KB - downloaded 155 times.)
N8LGU

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 07:16:09 PM »

I was using a Hustler 5BTV with 40 ground mounted radials. It resonates at 3705kc. I was using the B&W 5100B at about 100 watts carrier. I heard absolutely nothing at all. Noise floor was about S5 at the time.
Thanks for the recording, Steve. That's pretty impressive. What kind of antenna were you using for receive?

"Rock Cave Dave"
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 08:21:29 PM »

I was using a pair of phased Beverages for that recording.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015