The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 07:46:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/2 a dipole or ?  (Read 4019 times)
KE7XD
« on: February 27, 2011, 03:14:18 PM »

Any thoughts on shooting a straight wire out from the end ridge of a metal building.  I am in a temporary setting where one option is to run a coax to the peak of the roof.  What would happen if the coax shield is connected to the metal at that point?  Will the overall setup load like a vertical pushing against the metal as a ground plain, or maybe look like one half of a dipole pushing against the metal like it would if it were the other half of a dipole.    This is for a very temporary setup only.  (Metal building is 24 X 60 X 12 foot eves. )  Can I run a 60 to 65 foot wire out and use it multi band ( 10 to 80 M )?  It will be connected to an antenna tuner.    Does any of this make sense ? ?    Any thoughts ?

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »

Any thoughts ?

Try it.

AMI#1684
W1FVB

VB Radio

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 03:32:48 PM »

Probably, will act like a low hanging dipole, great for local contacts

Frits

vbradio.wordpress.com
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:13:58 PM »

Frits,

Sounds like a nice portable setup and nothing wrong with a metal roof! The problem is the the 65 ft wire will look very high Z on 40M and your tuner will not help if it is at the rig down the coax.

Do you have a remote tuner? That would be the ticket.

However, If you bring a 65 ft wire AND a 33 ft wire out from the same feed separated slightly, you will be able to use it on 75, 40 and 15 with good effect from the simple coax tuner at the rig.

If your building is very high and you feed high and slope it down it at 45 degrees or so, you have just made a sloper and it will be directional in the direction it slopes away from the building.

Even low works. I had a buddy who worked a 65 footer against his mobile home at about 25 feet ht and it worked very nice for local 75M.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
KE7XD
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:26:14 PM »

Thanks guys for the feedbacks.     No remote tuner, however a second wire sounds like would be a good idea.  The building height will be about 16 feet.  Because of a small shed and bushes, a sloper is a no go.    I like John's idea, just try it.

KD0HUX

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 09:35:25 PM »

TRY IT NOTHING VENTURED NOTHING GAINED Shocked
w5omr

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 10:00:18 PM »

Thanks guys for the feedbacks.     No remote tuner, however a second wire sounds like would be a good idea.  The building height will be about 16 feet.  Because of a small shed and bushes, a sloper is a no go.    I like John's idea, just try it.

30' above the tin roof might act as a pretty good counter-poise at 1/8th wave.
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 02:07:40 AM »

One other consideration is that all that metal is not well bonded together. Some of those less than perfect, and probably corroded, connections will act as diodes and cause all sorts of problems.

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
KE7XD
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 11:15:14 AM »

N0WEK – I was concerned about that also.  I checked and there are sheet metal screws every few inches.  These actually cut into the metal as they were installed, and most appear to be still tight.  Also there is a cap that wraps around from the roof to the sides, and also screwed every few inches.  Still a very legitimate potential problem.  Thanks !

N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 05:55:06 PM »

N0WEK – I was concerned about that also.  I checked and there are sheet metal screws every few inches.  These actually cut into the metal as they were installed, and most appear to be still tight.  Also there is a cap that wraps around from the roof to the sides, and also screwed every few inches.  Still a very legitimate potential problem.  Thanks !

The screws should be much better than the old nails.

It's worth a try!

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015