The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:17:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad news  (Read 39297 times)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 06:09:43 PM »

I'm am so sorry to hear this news.  What more can be said?

I will keep you in my prayers.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 06:52:57 PM »

A man is know by the number and veracity of his friends.  You have numerous friends who are dedicated to your presence.  You are an inspiration to us all, brave, considerate and forgiving.  My family's best to you and yours.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »

Wow Derb.

It ain't over till its over so you never know. Your in our prayers.

It sure seems like you gave it the best fight you could and have a lot of support around you.

Keep the 807s cold and the 813s warm.

Carl
WA1KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 07:12:56 PM »

You are a good man and it's hard to keep a good man down! 

AMI#1684
K0ARA
Contributing

The Bull

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 07:29:35 PM »

Derb
  I'm sorry to hear this.
 I will cherish the on-air contacts we have had. Your love for the early era of Amateur Radio will always be an inspiration to me.
 God Speed My Friend.

Mike KØARA                99.9% AM
                 AMI  #1692
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 08:02:27 PM »

Hi Derb, I am also very sorry to read your news.   I wish there were more I could do than just communicate through this forum.  Like others have said, I will continue to hope and pray for you.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 08:05:14 PM »

Hi Tim,

I'm very saddened to hear this latest news. I am praying for you bro.

God bless you and Glo.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 08:06:10 PM »

Derb,
Truly awful news.  Let's hope they are wrong.  I beleive they were wrong before.
Only worked you a few times on the air & always enjoyed your posts on this forum.
--You are in our prayers.

WA3VJB
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 08:31:09 PM »

I just got word that Derb has called Frank at home to say goodbye, but of course Frank's in the hospital and did not receive the message Derb left on the machine.

Carol called me Tuesday night to pass along her deep appreciation at all the calls about Frank that she's been getting, but asks PLEASE now hold off as she devotes as much time as possible to getting Frank well. "It's just too overwhelming," she said, almost apologetically, what with Frank's crisis, and knowing Joe/IBX is in the hospital, and now here's friend Derb saying he doesn't have very long and is going into hospice, and really hopes to talk once more to Frank.

About Frank, here are details in an update she asked me to distribute, to hopefully drain down some of the calls she's been getting.

Frank is stable, has been moved OUT of intensive care and into medium-care at Franklin Square Hospital.  He is recovering after doctors "banded" two additional veins that were under pressure as a result of Frank's condition. The active bleeding has been stopped. One source of that bleeding was an earlier vein that had popped but is now repaired.

"He's very weak right now," Carol said, "but they hope to get some food in him tomorrow."
Those who know Frank realize the value of THAT plan.

"He should be out by Friday and back home," she said, adding that his blood quality is looking better (his chemistry has been bad).  "He's in good spirits, and laughing" Carol said, and that many of his "ham friends' have visited.  PLEASE DO NOT CALL him at the hospital, but he can accept visitors just about any time, she said. He's on the 5th Floor.

Carol's not sure Frank can take this latest turn for Derb.  I said he'd probably be pissed if he DIDN'T get to talk with him again. And she said Glo is leaning the same way. So the two women will talk some more and try to make something happen there.  

Updates as they happen.

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 08:43:01 PM »

Wow, that's unbelievable !  Derb, you're one of the good ones from way back.  My prayer is that you be guided in the steps that lie ahead.  Peace to you.

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 09:35:38 PM »

God bless you Derb. No one can ever say you didn't fight this as hard as you could.
W1UJR
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2011, 09:50:02 PM »

So sorry to hear this Derb.
The fellows are right, miracles do happen, and a positive mental attitude is the only way to be. Judging from the numerous comments here, you've made a big mark in many lives, that's a true testament to your character and something that lasts.

I'll be keeping you on the XYL in prayer.
God bless.

- Bruce
kb3nqd
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 10:57:07 PM »

I just got home from seeing Frank at the hospital.  Frank and Derb were able to interface via cellphone. 

Derb, 
  This stinks, I was just getting to know ya.  I was hoping to have you around for a long time.  There is always hope and miracles can happen.  Can you receive visitors at Hospice/home/hospital (basically wherever you are staying)?  If so what is the address?
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 11:04:35 PM »

Derb,
Sorry OM to hear the news, hopefully you'll prove them wrong once again... Nobody could ever old buzzard better then you Derb...

Best wishes bro... may the black crackle be king
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 12:58:23 AM »

I'm also sorry to hear this news, Tim. As others have said, it's not over 'til it's over, but regardless - I'm honored and thankful to have gotten to meet and know you and Gloria, and glad you two made it over to Frank's last Timonium parties. You're the only person I ever heard who could make a 25 watt FT-101 sounds like a kilowatt of beautiful AM coming into the northeast from West Virginia. It amazes me still!

However things go, here or elsewhere, we'll meet again. Until that time, may you be at peace.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 01:12:54 AM »

Derb, I'm sorry to read this and can't add to what others have said. I've always enjoyed your posts and website. God bless you.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2011, 08:38:04 AM »

Derb,  I am so sorry to hear this news.  You have many many friends in this community and we are all pulling for you and praying for a miracle.  Best to you and Glo as you go through these difficult times.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2011, 11:02:39 AM »

Derb,

Be proud of the fight you have been battling. You have done it with perseverance and dignity.  Its a tuff battle, with a lot of unanswered questions.  From your original diagnosis many years back you have had some good "runway time".   You were a "Tall Ship" without getting much fire in the wire when you had the FT-101 on the air . When you had the Gonset amp on that Frank AHZ helped you with, you really made the "monkey swing".  We know your true radio love is black wrinkle panels with nice push pull plug in coils with  a swinging link!  Sometimes even with heroic efforts, things go in a different direction no matter how hard we try. 

Keep doing what your doing and keep the faith my friend. 

Our thoughts and prayers are with you as well as to all those that are close to you. Peace be with you my friend. 

Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2011, 03:57:54 PM »

Tim,

As so many of your good friends have said here already, miracles happen every single day. I'm hoping your miracle arrives very shortly.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Rob

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2011, 04:54:06 PM »

I would not normally post something like this because I've never been one to express my emotions but this news brought a tear to my eye then it ticked me off, not because of anybody's fault but because I lost a dear and best friend, a friend I grew up with who succumbed to the same disease.  We were inseparable from elementary school until the final day. He lost the fight at age 29.  It makes me so mad that this retched disease can't be stopped from taking the ones we love.  Tim, you put up a gallant and brave fight. My prayers and thoughts to you, Glo and your family.  There's nothing more to be said. I will ponder.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KD0HUX

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2011, 07:13:42 PM »

HANG IN THERE AND KEEP FIGHTING
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2011, 07:38:47 PM »

Derb,

Hang in there and don't ever give up. Lots of us are praying for you.
N0WVA

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2011, 08:42:42 PM »

This place is only temporary for any of us. We will all meet the same fate one way or the other. Derb, I can only wish you much strength and dont ever look back. Life is continuous,  there is no end, at least thats my take on the whole matter.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2011, 10:58:36 PM »

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this news. Just reading some of these replies in this thread shows how much you have affected the people around you over the years. Your such a great person and your being taken away from this family way too soon. Know that you have the love and support from all of us here and miracles do happen from time to time. Make sure all potential paths are explored and if the time does come, then go with your chin up knowing that your influences will live on forever in the thoughts of all these people that call you friend.

J

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
W1IA

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2011, 11:18:39 PM »

A prayer from Colleen and I....We love ya Derb!

Brent W1IA

With a heavy heart....

God Bless

Run What Ya Brung!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015