The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:22:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC Cites Jammers  (Read 7328 times)
Steve - K4HX
« on: February 22, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »

http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2010/db1206/DA-10-2295A1.pdf
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 04:06:48 PM »

If you live in one of the northern states, just pick one up in Canada.  I don't think they (yet) have any laws against them.  To be on the safe side, bring it back across the border out of the box, mixed in with some other electronic items, preferably junky looking stuff and parts, like old cell phones and loose circuit boards.  It's highly unlikely the customs inspector would have a clue what it was, even if he wanted to have a look at the electronics stuff, and then he probably wouldn't care as long as nothing resembled what could be a bomb.

Years ago a friend took on a job in Saudi Arabia.  They had a rule there that an individual wasn't allowed to possess a radio receiver capable of demodulating SSB.  Apparently the reason was that their military used slopbucket voice communications, and they treated it as a form of low-level encryption and  wanted to keep receivers out of the hands of the public.  They confiscated his short wave radio at customs and put a  seal on it, and let him have it back when he left the country.  He made  several trips over there, working on the computer system at one of their new airports.  Next time  he entered the country, he dismantled the short wave receiver, and mixed the circuit boards and parts with legitimate computer stuff, and declared the whole pile as computer related hardware needed for his job.  They let him bring it in without question, and he re-assembled the receiver back in his apartment and used it the rest of the time he was there.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »

That's too bad...........It reveals how frustrated people are getting with cell phone users and their inattentiveness to their surroundings..........driving..............standing in a food line in Mcdonalds..........movie theater...........Texting whilst driving..............In Church........shopping in a grocery store..............it goes on and on.......
Usually knocking out the control channel and the cell phone can't find mama

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 06:33:39 PM »

There's a few places I can think of that need those...  Schools, churches, mens rooms... yea I have heard a guy in a stall having a heated conversation, and seen a guy standing at a urinal talking to someone.

I mean really,  what is THAT important?   My phone goes is provided by my employer. Only reason I have it. It goes OFF when I walk in the back door, and stays on the counter till I get in the truck in the morning.  My time is just that MY time.

used to be you could tell the whack jobs by the folks walking down the street talking to themselves, now we just think - Bluetooth! 

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 06:46:19 PM »

There's a few places I can think of that need those...  Schools, churches, mens rooms... yea I have heard a guy in a stall having a heated conversation, and seen a guy standing at a urinal talking to someone. 

Maybe he was a fan of LBJ...

When he had to go to
     the bathroom in the middle of a
     conversation, it was not unusual for him
     to move the discussion there. Johnson
     seemed delighted as he told me of "one
     of the delicate Kennedyites who came
     into the bathroom with me and then found
     it utterly impossible to look at me
     while I sat there on the toilet. You'd
     think he had never seen those parts of
     the body before. For there he was,
     standing as far away from me as he
     possibly could, keeping his back toward
     me the whole time, trying to carry on a
     conversation. I could barely hear a word
     he said. I kept straining my ears and
     then finally I asked him to come a
     little closer tome. Then began the most
     ludicrous scene I had ever witnessed.
     instead of simply turning around and
     walking over to me, he kept his face
     away from me and walked backwards, one
     rickety step at a time. For a moment
     there I thought he was going to run
     right into me. It certainly made me
     wonder how that man had made it so far
     in the world."

Snip.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 08:07:23 PM »

Ha! obviously someone who'd never been in the Army... you learn to 'overlook' some things after a while. Sharing a 6-holer with no walls and 50 men makes you appreciate the small things, like stalls.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 02:46:18 PM »

Here's some more info on GPS tracking blockers

http://www.gpsfortoday.com/gps-tracking-blockers/

http://hubpages.com/hub/Mobile-Gadgets-Block-GPS-Tracking-Devices

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
WB3LEQ

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 06:05:21 PM »

I think this may have something to do with jamming the new "Open-sky" digital radios that law enforcement is being forced to change over to.  The cellphone jammer could possibly render the the radio as useless.  From what I have read they are having a fair amount of problems accessing the repeaters from some locations.  Remember how well these radios worked after Katrina?  If I recall correctly first the power went down followed by the back up generators running out of fuel. 

Bob  WB3LEQ
Keep America Beautiful - Smash an ICOM!
KC2ZFA

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 06:13:36 PM »

many times I've come very close to doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hut3VRL5XRE
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 07:10:34 PM »

many times I've come very close to doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hut3VRL5XRE

That prof needs practice. He didn't put his back into it.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 10:47:43 AM »

Riding da bus into the city really makes me want to have something to take cell phones out of service.

Usually anyone breaking the silence on the bus gets shushed by numerous passengers who count on the 80 minute bus ride as sleep time.

Once in a while people don't get the hint. People get really nasty when someone ruins their sleep. I've seen more than one get real close to becoming a hood ornament.

Of course FCC rules keep me from ever acting on this.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »

Whats a city Grin.

I can pee off my back porch anytime I want Roll Eyes
KC2ZFA

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »

Whats a city Grin.

I can pee off my back porch anytime I want Roll Eyes

yeah, but can an ambulance get to you in 5 minutes ?  Cheesy
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 11:56:37 AM »

An ambulance won't make it to your house in 5 minutes in most cities. A number of years ago DC was averaging over 20 minutes for response time.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 12:23:56 PM »

Last time I really needed an ambulance, the took >25 minutes to show up and the guy was dead by the time they did.  So much for the 911 dial-a-prayer line.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 12:35:25 PM »

Easy solution.  Every ham needs a tall tower in their back yard anyway. Whenever a trip to the hospital is needed, just string a cable. Then climb the tower, hold onto the pulley and slide quickly and efficiently to your destination.  

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »

I fondled one of those jammers a while back when they started showing up on the internet. The guy built this one from a kit. It had 3 different length antennas, two switches and two idiot lights on the front, and no markings whatsoever. It used 2 9v batts for power. Switching it on wiped out the cell phones, (both cell service, and the 3g data to the phones), my home cordless phone, and my wireless network in the house. We went outside and I had to get a decent 75-100ft away from it before my phone started working again.

He said it came in a kit with a printed board, and all the parts needed to build it less the batts. It took him about 3 hours to slobber it all together and get it working and I think he said it was around a c-note bought off the interwebs.

No I don't have one.........................yet.  Wink  

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
KC2ZFA

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 01:08:44 PM »

An ambulance won't make it to your house in 5 minutes in most cities. A number of years ago DC was averaging over 20 minutes for response time.

who said "average" ?
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 01:15:23 PM »

The first responders around here are the fire dept. It's real special hearing them blast that giant Grover air horn at 2am.

Gotta give 'em credit though as they (the FD) are pretty fast around here. I phoned in an early morning car wreck out in front of the house, then threw my boots on to go outside. The FD was here in under 3 mins (2 trucks and a dozen guys), then the paramedics, then the PD, then the newspaper, then the power co (car hit phone pole), then a couple lawyers showed up, then a whacker ham with orange safety vest, blinking light on yellow hardhat, and 6 HT's all on the same repeater, then a city cleaning crew to take care of the glass and oil on the road, then, finally, the ambulance.   Grin

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 01:25:35 PM »

Last time I really needed an ambulance, the took >25 minutes to show up and the guy was dead by the time they did.  So much for the 911 dial-a-prayer line.

The 911 deal pissed me off.  They promoted it here, followed by a referendum.  It passed overwhelmingly, but something they didn't tell anyone was that over 90% of rural mailing addresses would be changed, and many city addresses as well.  That affected a  lot of people, especially since the post office refused to forward mail sent to the old address after one year, causing many people to lose track of long-time but infrequent correspondents.  (And it pretty much made the older Callbooks useless.) I suspect the public would have been less enthusiastic about the idea if they had been informed up front about the address changes.  Apparently the promoters of the 911 system deliberately withheld this information nation-wide until after the fact, since I have heard the same exact complaint from people from all over the country.

Just like in practically any other election, people end up getting what they didn't think they voted for.

- - -
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015