The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:41:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Service Pack 1 for Windows 7  (Read 6701 times)
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« on: February 22, 2011, 10:36:04 PM »

For those of you that use Windows 7 ..... Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 is here.

While the functional changes for Windows 7 are minimal and pretty specific, it contains hundreds of hotfixes which are aimed at reliability, performance and compatibility with various apps.

You should be able to get this service pack now by just going to Windows Update or if you want to download a complete iso image of SP1 you can go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda

Hope this helps.  If you want to discuss something other than this service pack please do that in another thread.  Thanks  Smiley

Sam / KS2AM

--- Post No Bills ---
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 05:15:07 AM »

Just make sure you're prepared to DO WITHOUT your computer for about 15 minutes.

This repair module is about 11Mb to download, that's the fast part.

Once you initiate, it takes longer than any of the repairs for XP (SP-1-3), although an upgrade to the Mac "Snow Leopard" OS took about this long.

Once completed, there is a DOS-looking popup when you re-start the terminal, called "Cabinet Maker," that takes another couple minutes to perform.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 06:26:44 AM »

15 minutes might be a little hopeful too depending on your computers specs and the condition of the hard drive defragmentation.  But, of course it's definitely good to just do it! 

Thanks to Sam for posting this, I would have not known until Windows Update decided to do it.

AMI#1684
w5omr

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:26:50 AM »

15 minutes might be a little hopeful too depending on your computers specs and the condition of the hard drive defragmentation.  But, of course it's definitely good to just do it! 

Thanks to Sam for posting this, I would have not known until Windows Update decided to do it.

Windows, windows, windows... don't you people learn?  ;-)

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/microsoft_news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=229219327&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

Windows - epic fail.  GREAT Marketing!

as long as Microsoft has been releasing software, never -EVER- has the 'first release' been ready for public consumption, but they release it anyway, and immediatly thereafter release an 'update'... and then an update to the update and an update to THAT update, then a service pack (another update) then the next version, because whatever they did in the previous just wasn't going to work, and the cycle continues.

Linux.  the way to go, AND...
IT'S FREE!
W2PHL
Contributing

Phil

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:36:57 AM »

Sam, You are always stirring things up around here with your subversive postings.  Wink

LOL Phil

I think therefore AM
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 09:39:59 AM »

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/microsoft_news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=229219327&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

Windows - epic fail.  GREAT Marketing!

as long as Microsoft has been releasing software, never -EVER- has the 'first release' been ready for public consumption, but they release it anyway, and immediatly thereafter release an 'update'... and then an update to the update and an update to THAT update, then a service pack (another update) then the next version, because whatever they did in the previous just wasn't going to work, and the cycle continues.

IT'S FREE!

Yeah but my favorite games aren't on linux.  Besides, I use linux on the other machine too.  (about as often as I use ssb)

AMI#1684
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 10:03:04 AM »

IT'S FREE!

From my original post ... If you want to discuss something other than this service pack please do that in another thread.  Thanks again Smiley

--- Post No Bills ---
w5omr

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 10:08:59 AM »

From my original post ... If you want to discuss something other than this service pack please do that in another thread.  Thanks again Smiley
yeah, yeah ... but still...
 Grin
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 10:38:29 AM »

Just remmeber Sam, my way is better than your way!
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 11:13:45 AM »

It was an informational post. If you don't use Windows, it doesn't apply to you and there is no need to post. There are plenty of "Let's Trash Microsoft" forums out there. Have at it!
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 05:03:47 PM »

only got about 2 or 3 win 7 boxes rolled out at work because of software compatibility issues, due to slow software releases from vendors (not Microsoft's fault)
so far I like what i see, much better than Vista...
time will tell
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 06:08:54 PM »

Never tried Vista.  My laptop has 7, but my old desktop has XP.

I like 7 OK; don't find it too different from XP.  Some minor improvements, but I still never have figured out that "Libraries" crap.  To me, it's more a nuisance than the useful feature M$ hypes it to be. Also, I quickly disabled the "tap to click" feature before I ended up throwing the damned laptop on the floor and stomping it.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w5omr

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 06:54:02 PM »

only got about 2 or 3 win 7 boxes rolled out at work because of software compatibility issues, due to slow software releases from vendors (not Microsoft's fault)
so far I like what i see, much better than Vista...
time will tell
Vista is pretty much the 'fill-in' between XP and 7, much like ME was the (disastrous) ME between Win'98/Win2k.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 07:31:15 PM »

I ran Vista for a couple years.  I never experienced any problems like many did.  But now I have Windows 7 on my main desktop and it is nice.  Thanks again Sam for posting the Service Pack availability.

AMI#1684
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 10:36:45 PM »

I have 7 on the laptop. I don't know if it did the 'automatic update' for SP1 yet or not. I have experienced the dreaded Blue Screen of Death more times than I care to do. Most of that was running an USB-RS232 CAT cable for the ricebox. Software is a tuff thing to work out all the 'features.' Since there's millions upon millions of paramutations that can occur to create errors, along with different processors, makes it damn near impossible to send out stuff bug free during the first release. Most major and common errors are probably dealt with at the prototype level and then revision are released as the general public call for it. I never worked much with compilers but was mostly a 1's and 0's guy when I made programs.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 11:32:52 PM »

Just updated..... Thanks Sam  Wink

Mike

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 11:36:03 PM »

I have 7 on the laptop. I don't know if it did the 'automatic update' for SP1 yet or not. I have experienced the dreaded Blue Screen of Death more times than I care to do. Most of that was running an USB-RS232 CAT cable for the ricebox. Software is a tuff thing to work out all the 'features.' Since there's millions upon millions of paramutations that can occur to create errors, along with different processors, makes it damn near impossible to send out stuff bug free during the first release. Most major and common errors are probably dealt with at the prototype level and then revision are released as the general public call for it. I never worked much with compilers but was mostly a 1's and 0's guy when I made programs.

Just go to Windows Start, right-click on Computer and select Properties.  Under Windows Edition it will list "Service Pack 1" if its installed. If its not installed just go to Windows Update and it should be there.
If you can figure out who made your USB-RS232 adapter it would make sense to check their website for a Windows 7 compatible driver.   If you can find the adapter in Device Manager sometimes you can get a newer driver by just right-clicking on the device and selecting "Update Driver Software".   The BSOD's I have seen in Windows over the years have been very few and far between and were usually traceable to a misbehaved driver from the hardware vendor.

--- Post No Bills ---
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 12:04:17 AM »

The service pack took about 45 minutes to download and install but then I was on the wireless which slows down the download rate.

Everything went fine but it did take a couple of features back to default and it wiped out all my stored usernames and passwords; not that big a deal.

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015