The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:27:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL 2010 Annual Report Now Available - Membership Continues To Grow  (Read 25874 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: June 03, 2011, 12:53:02 PM »

The ARRL Annual Report for 2010 is now available online and in print -- reviews the major events of the year and documents the renewed growth of both the ARRL and the activities of the Amateur Radio Service. For the fourth consecutive year, ARRL membership grew -- totaling 156,475 members at year end. Dave Sumner reports that "financial results were somewhat better than expected once again, thanks to the loyal support of members and our continuing attention to cost control.”

Further info can be found here: http://www.arrl.org/news/2010-arrl-annual-report-now-available

To review the Annual report, click the picture below:

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 04:42:59 PM »

Now thats a funny post.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 05:49:03 PM »

Never known Annual Report availability reporting to invoke "funny", but then again, I've never worked in the "news" media.  Share with us please.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:39:36 PM »

Paul quoted:
Now thats a funny post.

Yeah, having worked for Merck for close to 20 years, it has become an appreciable artform to see how well one can do 'data manipulation' with charts and graphs.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:44:57 PM »

Paul quoted:
Now thats a funny post.

Yeah, having worked for Merck for close to 20 years, it has become an appreciable artform to see how well one can do 'data manipulation' with charts and graphs.

Yeah boy, talk about spin !
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:55:12 PM »

Anything in the annual report about any kind of attempt at all to do something about RFI from unfiltered appliance crap?

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 12:52:12 AM »

Anything in the annual report about any kind of attempt at all to do something about RFI from unfiltered appliance crap?

I believe anyone can read the Annual Report. Generally the report reviews the state of the business for the preceding year.

Have you reported at least to the ARRL Technical Department your RFI issues? It probably wouldn't get lots of face time with them unless they get a ton of problem reports.  Appliances have been around as long as radio.

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 11:01:22 PM »

I believe anyone can read the Annual Report. Generally the report reviews the state of the business for the preceding year.

In other words, there wasn't anything.  A simple "no" would have sufficed.

Have you reported at least to the ARRL Technical Department your RFI issues? It probably wouldn't get lots of face time with them unless they get a ton of problem reports.  Appliances have been around as long as radio.

True.  They probably have no awareness of this issue even if it is all over the place on every ham website, and a frequent QSO topic, and email reflector topic, especially the RFI reflector.   I willingly concede that the ARRL staff are myopic.  Some of them at least.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 11:42:18 PM »

In other words, there wasn't anything.  A simple "no" would have sufficed.

There is a blurb on the ARRL Lab and with a sub heading "RFI Problems".

True.  They probably have no awareness of this issue even if it is all over the place on every ham website, and a frequent QSO topic, and email reflector topic, especially the RFI reflector.   I willingly concede that the ARRL staff are myopic.  Some of them at least.

If you are a member, and have specific RFI problems, contact the ARRL Lab staff, http://www.arrl.org/the-lab-staff; make them aware of it and see what recommendations they have. Just because it's P&M fodder "all over the place..." doesn't mean the right people are hearing about it.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 02:12:11 AM »

For the fourth consecutive year, ARRL membership grew -- totaling 156,475 members at year end

Still only about 22% of the total number of licensed amateurs in the FCC data base.

But the percentage would undoubtedly look better if only those with an active interest are counted, and "paper hams" excluded.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 07:18:09 AM »

If you are a member, and have specific RFI problems, contact the ARRL Lab staff, http://www.arrl.org/the-lab-staff; make them aware of it and see what recommendations they have. Just because it's P&M fodder "all over the place..." doesn't mean the right people are hearing about it.

A. Non-members have RFI problems too.   I thought the ARRL claimed to represent all amateurs.  I disagree with that overreach but here is a chance for them to prove it.   Maybe they only say that when it gives them some perceived advantage.

B.  The point isn't my RFI problem, the point is tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of hams and other US short wave frequency users are being seriously affected by the importation of millions of unfiltered consumer electronic devices.  This is an enforcement and rule issue; not a DF-my-problem-and-unsuccessfully-get-a-neighbor-to-allow-me-to-install-some-ferrite-cores issue.

I brought this problem to the attention of an ARRL official upon receiving a solicitation for a donation to the "Defense of Frequencies" fund.   The response was the standard bureaucratic non-answer posing as an answer.

The ARRL website used to host a noise identification page, full of mp3 files of RFI noise and the source in each case.  That has disappeared.  I wonder why?  Could it be that the ARRL is running away from this as fast as they can?  At least a year ago I asked them what happened to it and received a meandering response about how it must have been lost in the [unneeded unwanted unnecessary and pointless] website reorganization.

A few days ago I heard from an elderly ham in my area who transmitted enough to say the only ham he can hear now is W9AD because Dave is strong enough to get through some new RFI problem he has.  He is elderly and now pretty much QRT because of this problem; he has no computer or internet access so referring him to a website is a non-starter.   How many other elderly hams are in his situation and simply quit operating, because the ARRL is running away from this?

WA3VJB
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 08:05:30 AM »

They don't have the resources nor inclination to actively run away from anything.
Instead they'll ignore and neglect the issue. Takes less energy.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 08:22:40 AM »

Your (be)League(d) dollars at work.  Cry

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 12:40:09 PM »

A. Non-members have RFI problems too.   I thought the ARRL claimed to represent all amateurs.  I disagree with that overreach but here is a chance for them to prove it.   Maybe they only say that when it gives them some perceived advantage.

B.  The point isn't my RFI problem, the point is tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of hams and other US short wave frequency users are being seriously affected by the importation of millions of unfiltered consumer electronic devices.  This is an enforcement and rule issue; not a DF-my-problem-and-unsuccessfully-get-a-neighbor-to-allow-me-to-install-some-ferrite-cores issue.

I brought this problem to the attention of an ARRL official upon receiving a solicitation for a donation to the "Defense of Frequencies" fund.   The response was the standard bureaucratic non-answer posing as an answer.

The ARRL website used to host a noise identification page, full of mp3 files of RFI noise and the source in each case.  That has disappeared.  I wonder why?  Could it be that the ARRL is running away from this as fast as they can?  At least a year ago I asked them what happened to it and received a meandering response about how it must have been lost in the [unneeded unwanted unnecessary and pointless] website reorganization.

Not much rocket science involved in finding these ARRL web pages:

Radio Frequency Interference (RFI): http://www.arrl.org/radio-frequency-interference-rfi

Contribute/Submit RFI Files: You can help make the RF Noise Identification website a success through your contributions, in the form of audio clips of QRN that affects you, or by helping to identify some of the "unidentified" audio clips submitted by others. http://www.arrl.org/contribute-rfi-files

ARRL RF Noise Identification Web Page: http://www.arrl.org/sounds-of-rfi

A few days ago I heard from an elderly ham in my area who transmitted enough to say the only ham he can hear now is W9AD because Dave is strong enough to get through some new RFI problem he has.  He is elderly and now pretty much QRT because of this problem; he has no computer or internet access so referring him to a website is a non-starter.   How many other elderly hams are in his situation and simply quit operating, because the ARRL is running away from this?

So why don't you try and help him identify his perceived RFI problem.

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 04:35:31 PM »

Okay cool, the put them back up, thanks.  They were missing for a long time.

<<So why don't you try and help him identify his perceived RFI problem. >>

What makes you think I'm not going to?   Cheesy

WA3VJB
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 05:28:28 PM »

Pete you should pay more attention:

I brought this problem to the attention of an ARRL official upon receiving a solicitation for a donation to the "Defense of Frequencies" fund.   The response was the standard bureaucratic non-answer posing as an answer

It's not rocket science to try and read someone's post.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 05:59:08 PM »

Pete you should pay more attention:

I brought this problem to the attention of an ARRL official upon receiving a solicitation for a donation to the "Defense of Frequencies" fund.   The response was the standard bureaucratic non-answer posing as an answer

It's not rocket science to try and read someone's post.

Actually, you probably need to review your own reading skills.

My response was in regard to the second part of his post:
The ARRL website used to host a noise identification page, full of mp3 files of RFI noise and the source in each case.  That has disappeared.  I wonder why?  Could it be that the ARRL is running away from this as fast as they can?  At least a year ago I asked them what happened to it and received a meandering response about how it must have been lost in the [unneeded unwanted unnecessary and pointless] website reorganization.

And not this section you're referring to:
A. Non-members have RFI problems too.   I thought the ARRL claimed to represent all amateurs.  I disagree with that overreach but here is a chance for them to prove it.   Maybe they only say that when it gives them some perceived advantage.

B.  The point isn't my RFI problem, the point is tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of hams and other US short wave frequency users are being seriously affected by the importation of millions of unfiltered consumer electronic devices.  This is an enforcement and rule issue; not a DF-my-problem-and-unsuccessfully-get-a-neighbor-to-allow-me-to-install-some-ferrite-cores issue.

I brought this problem to the attention of an ARRL official upon receiving a solicitation for a donation to the "Defense of Frequencies" fund.   The response was the standard bureaucratic non-answer posing as an answer.

WA3VJB
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 07:09:39 PM »

My reading skills are fine, thank you.

Your problem is failing to recognize that this person indeed took the time to approach the ARRL for help and was given a stock, non-responsive answer.

Your loyalty has blinded you to the need for your group to be receptive and pro-active in eliciting details as you've recommended, not to possibly discourage anyone from hoping for any help from the League, whether they're subscribers or not.

I expect nothing further from you, since this is how Newington would handle a complaint as well.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 07:25:34 PM »

My reading skills are fine, thank you.

Your problem is failing to recognize that this person indeed took the time to approach the ARRL for help and was given a stock, non-responsive answer.

Your loyalty has blinded you to the need for your group to be receptive and pro-active in eliciting details as you've recommended, not to possibly discourage anyone from hoping for any help from the League, whether they're subscribers or not.

I expect nothing further from you, since this is how Newington would handle a complaint as well.

Without a doubt, that is a funny post  Cheesy

WA3VJB
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 08:14:29 PM »

Yes, whenever you lose a discussion like this I bet you realize how desperate you were to prove your point. Ever notice few people buy-in?

Here you had a chance to go your friends in Newington, and say, hey, I've got a guy who is trying to help out an old timer with some RFI. Wonder if you'd give him a call or drop him an email and see whether you can connect & help out.

Instead, we, here on this AM-oriented forum that has little in common with your group, get the usual belligerent defense of the ARRL and your effort to toss it back to the guy with the problem to try again to help out.

He obviously has made the effort. Your effort, if one could call it that, is to serve as a straw man for the ARRL, since you don't have any known position with them and aren't really interested, it seems, in asking your group to help someone out.

If you think that's funny, well, okay, but the joke's on you.

From wikipedia:

A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 09:24:29 PM »

Yes, whenever you lose a discussion like this I bet you realize how desperate you were to prove your point. Ever notice few people buy-in?

Here you had a chance to go your friends in Newington, and say, hey, I've got a guy who is trying to help out an old timer with some RFI. Wonder if you'd give him a call or drop him an email and see whether you can connect & help out.

Instead, we, here on this AM-oriented forum that has little in common with your group, get the usual belligerent defense of the ARRL and your effort to toss it back to the guy with the problem to try again to help out.

He obviously has made the effort. Your effort, if one could call it that, is to serve as a straw man for the ARRL, since you don't have any known position with them and aren't really interested, it seems, in asking your group to help someone out.

If you think that's funny, well, okay, but the joke's on you.

From wikipedia:

A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position

"Lose a discussion", I didn't know there was a competition. I was merely pointing out your posting inaccuracies. "The effort" if there was one, has not been defined other then the response, "What makes you think I'm not going to?"

And thanks; after working through the weekend; your posts today have made me smile and brought a chuckle or two.

WA3VJB
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 05:09:15 AM »

Do you do consulting work for the ARRL ?

After all the time you've spent, I don't see anything that actually bridges the non-responsiveness of your group to someone having a problem with RFI.

Others in Newington use you as an example, you know.
W2ZE
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 11:11:32 AM »

"Lose a discussion", I didn't know there was a competition. I was merely pointing out your posting inaccuracies. "The effort" if there was one, has not been defined other then the response, "What makes you think I'm not going to?"

And thanks; after working through the weekend; your posts today have made me smile and brought a chuckle or two.

Yep, thats seems to the attitude around here....
The person with the last post wins, and discussions are more about padding one's ego and showing someone how smart they are, that an actual discussion.

Congratulations Paul, you win, you got over. Hope this make you feel good.

Mike 2ZE
WA3VJB
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 04:12:30 PM »

Hi Mike, thanks for your observations.

Sometimes, like the Grand Canyon, playing a steady stream on a box of rocks may wear off the sharp edges. In other cases, you just get a pile of wet rocks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015